Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meditation for anxiety & stress
Wow what an amazing thread I don't have anything solid to add yet, but need to say thank you for sowing the seed so to speak. This a topic I've only recently began to contemplate myself and reading this has only increased my curiosity towards meditation once again thank you all will follow with interest, and hopefully return with insight.
"The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself"
Meditation and breathing exercises do make a world of difference but do take practice and patience! Don't give up on them if it is frustrating at first.  I have seen people start with a minute at a time (even 30 seconds sometimes) and progressively bump the time up. Guided meditations seem to work best for me. 

Overall Yoga has probably been the most affective form of meditation for me. I have seen a lot of people that have a misconception of what yoga actually is. It does not have to be this fast paced series of movements that seems to discourage some. If you can breath you can practice yoga! It can Also helps with some pain issues as well
Namaste  Smile
My panic attacks are so severe that all I can do is lay in bed and try not to die. They last days on end I can't sleep and by the second to third day I start to get delirious. That was me about 8 years. They started to spread out over the years and the frequency of them have been few and far between. It's now just maintenance for me. Combination of a Benz before bed only and meditation during the day. I rarely have to take medicine during the day. The doctors used to want me to take antidepressants for my condition but I refused. I explained that I feel like dying not that I want to die. Every now and then I have to explain it again which is super frustrating but it's worth it in the end. Haven't had a attack on over a year. So I do believe meditation works but with me it's in conjunction with benz's. Everyone is different and no two conditions are treated the same.
"Love your life and love others around you"
(02-12-2017, 10:03 PM)Costro77 Wrote: I found that sometimes a low dose of non selective beta blocker is just as effective as benzo. In the case of tachycardia and feeling chest pain, it helped. You can take it with a benzo too.

I also take an aciline inhibitor for my high bp. I started them 3 months ago. The first few days I was a zombie. Then it leveled out. I chose to take them at night because of the side effects. The only down side to taking them in conjunction with benz's is if you don't jump up with your alarm clock you'll sleep for ever. That's why I stay up late and wake up early. 5-6 hours of sleep is all I need. But as far a treating my anxiety/panic attacks it wouldn't stand on its own current for me. Then again I am dependent on them once a day before bed just like my BP meds. Iam still trying to find the right med that will lower my bp. Mine is sparatic and occasionally shoots up while on the medicine. I think that has to do with my anxiety level. I try to find a quiet place and calm myself to lower my heart rate. But it's still not perfect. Only time will tell what works best for me. Like I said no one person is the same with medicine/therapy.
"Love your life and love others around you"
for beginners and experts alike.....one technique is overwhelmingly successful....Vipassana

The only guide you need is your breathing......just watch it, when your mind wanders, just come back to watching your breath.

A little effort is involved....just watch, when you wander, just come back. If you get frustrated or impatient...return to watching........You will see the results for yourself.

Eventually, even your "watching" will fall into the background.
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
I was thinking about posting a thread the other day on this topic. I'm new but I think I've been misunderstood as a wreck less user. Truth is I'm not. I don't even drink. Well not for 5 years now. But with work and family and everything else I find meditation only goes so far. I meditate everyday. Morning mindfulness and an evening hynosis. And I enjoy them. I've been doing this for a few years now. But sometimes days are crazy. I can't meditate or I can't get into that space. And it's these times a good benzo would bring relief. Doctors won't prescribe to me. At least the ones I've tried. And I hate feeling like a drug seeker. But to have a stock when needed would be nice. And as far as pks go I'm 40 play loads of rugby and basketball and frankly ibuprofen just isn't gonna cut it. I guess I'm saying there's a line between natural and chemical solutions for me. But meditation is a long learning practice and in theory is wonderful. But hell sometimes you just gotta hunker down.

That's my opinion. Hope it makes sense and I'm not off topic and piss someone off.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
Thank u for sharing a bit, drew. It helps us to understand ur motivations in being here.

You won't piss anyone off.

I normally don't wait till someone has ten posts to know they need to be banned.

But, I saw that u interact well with other forum figures. Members. It is only the staff or authority here whom caused u to be disrespectful. Humble opinion and all...

That, I get. I am a disabled attorney and a minister, but I have always had a problem with authority figures. I gotta make my own rules, as long as they harm no others, as I don't cotton well to anyone trying to control me.

It is the rebel, rebel in me. To this day.

Thank u for sharing. We are starting to get u now. Why u r here. I really appreciate that u took the time to open up ur life and heart a tad so we could relate to u.

You are beginning to be part of the family now drew.

We are all old enough and many of us know what we need to survive in this life. Unfortunately laws have changed so, that doctors are afraid of prescribing in a normal fashion because they don't want to lose their license. The gvt is deciding whom gets treatment. And, what type.

Very frustrating for those of us whom have actual chronic illnesses.

Many of us have been looked at as medicine seekers. It is a common bond we share. I guess it is a common shame we share.

Because doctors used to prescribe normally. Now, many have gone nutz. Even in the Big Apple.

It is why we gather to talk and share info. To apprise each other of changes in laws. Changes in states. Changes in medical professional's attitudes.

It has become incredibly hard to find and keep an online vendor as of now. Or, a real life doctor now for many. But, that is why we keep our sources incredibly protected. Some of us need certain medicines to live. To live. And, some ne'er do wells come on and blab our sources on other forums. Recreational Users. And, the gvt takes good vendors down. It can be so difficult to have autoimmunes, chronic pain and chronic anxiety, and yet have no idea where to go for help with these problems.

So, thank u for sharing.

You are on your way to fifty posts now, my friend.

This post we can react to. Respond to. Understand more of why you are here.

Thank you.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

(03-03-2017, 03:35 PM)ECharon Wrote: Thank u for sharing a bit, drew.  It helps us to understand ur motivations in being here.

You won't piss anyone off.

I normally don't wait till someone has ten posts to know they need to be banned.

But, I saw that u interact well with other forum figures.  Members.  It is only the staff or authority here whom caused u to be disrespectful. Humble opinion and all...

That, I get.  I am a disabled attorney and a minister, but I have always had a problem with authority figures.  I gotta make my own rules, as long as they harm no others, as I don't cotton well to anyone trying to control me.

It is the rebel, rebel in me.  To this day.

Thank u for sharing.  We are starting to get u now.  Why u r here.  I really appreciate that u took the time to open up ur life and heart a tad so we could relate to u.

You are beginning to be part of the family now drew.  

We are all old enough and many of us know what we need to survive in this life.  Unfortunately laws have changed so, that doctors are afraid of prescribing in a normal fashion because they don't want to lose their license.  The gvt is deciding whom gets treatment.  And, what type.

Very frustrating for those of us whom have actual chronic illnesses.

Many of us have been looked at as medicine seekers.  It is a common bond we share.  I guess it is a common shame we share.

Because doctors used to prescribe normally.  Now, many have gone nutz.  Even in the Big Apple.

It is why we gather to talk and share info.  To apprise each other of changes in laws.  Changes in states.  Changes in medical professional's attitudes.

It has become incredibly hard to find and keep an online vendor as of now.  Or, a real life doctor now for many.  But, that is why we keep our sources incredibly protected.  Some of us need certain medicines to live.  To live.  And, some ne'er do wells come on and blab our sources on other forums. Recreational Users. And, the gvt takes good vendors  down.  It can be so difficult  to have autoimmunes, chronic pain and chronic anxiety, and yet have no idea where to go for help with these problems.

So, thank u for sharing.  

You are on your way to fifty posts now, my friend.

This post we can react to.  Respond to. Understand more of why you are here.

Thank you.

Thanks, starting to understand the groups philosophy.
Oh no a big family birthday party tonight. Oh yes the
Dysfunction alcoholism family photos gracefully leaving. Yep a long meditation session needed....and a xanax haha!