Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walgreen's busted again
Wow! There are some astonishing stories here. In the late 90s when I was at university, many of my friends were studying pharmacy. Lots had part time jobs at Boots (a big pharmacy in the UK). I was amazed by the amount of work they took home with them, if you know what I mean.

More recently I picked up a repeat prescription and as I walked away realised the sealed paper bag felt a bit light. Inside was my big box of gabapentin, but no tramadol. Luckily I hadn't left the store but it still took an hour and lots of arguing to get the rest of my prescription out of them. If I'd gone back to my doctor, I doubt he'd believe my story and write another script. The way the pharmacy treated me was shameful. I got taken off to a secure room that looked like it was mostly for shoplifters who'd been caught. They searched all my things before checking their own records. Sure enough they found a box of tramadol with my name on it on a shelf.

Honest mistake, or an attempt to steal my meds? I'll never know for sure, but the way they treated me made be think they wanted me to shut up and go away quietly.
how infuriating that they would search ur things before they searched their own records.

just infuriating. some pharmacists can make having medical issues so much worse by how they treat their clients.

sorry, barq.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

(10-19-2016, 10:58 AM)barq- Wrote: Wow! There are some astonishing stories here. In the late 90s when I was at university, many of my friends were studying pharmacy. Lots had part time jobs at Boots (a big pharmacy in the UK). I was amazed by the amount of work they took home with them, if you know what I mean.

More recently I picked up a repeat prescription and as I walked away realised the sealed paper bag felt a bit light. Inside was my big box of gabapentin, but no tramadol. Luckily I hadn't left the store but it still took an hour and lots of arguing to get the rest of my prescription out of them. If I'd gone back to my doctor, I doubt he'd believe my story and write another script. The way the pharmacy treated me was shameful. I got taken off to a secure room that looked like it was mostly for shoplifters who'd been caught. They searched all my things before checking their own records. Sure enough they found a box of tramadol with my name on it on a shelf.

Honest mistake, or an attempt to steal my meds? I'll never know for sure, but the way they treated me made be think they wanted me to shut up and go away quietly.

Being taken into an area and searched is where I'd contact an attorney and sue. I know in the US, that would be considered a bad stop for asset protection/loss prevention and many companies have lost a ton of money due to it. If I were in that situation, I'd call the police.
Mystical - good for you! That'll make up for the many times so many other people have been shorted. I've been shorted several times on my prescription for X and when I call them, it's like they don't' believe me. I don't think it's' a mistake - they don't short my antibiotics. And our Walgreens takes FOREVER to fill a prescription - the Dr. emails it to them and it's hours before it's ready.
(10-19-2016, 08:54 PM)orderssn Wrote: Mystical - good for you! That'll make up for the many times so many other people have been shorted. I've been shorted several times on my prescription for X and when I call them, it's like they don't' believe me.  I don't think it's' a mistake - they don't short my antibiotics.  And our Walgreens takes FOREVER to fill a prescription - the Dr. emails it to them and it's hours before it's ready.

HA! you have made a good point there orderssn. It just seems like certain meds get shorted. You know, the ones that are hard to impossible to have them believe you, or that they did something wrong. It's ALWAYS our fault and we are lying.

We can't do anything about it and they know it. They probably slip those little missing ones in their pocket and then treat people who have real need for the meds like we're all criminals. That must be it. You're sick, so therefore you are a criminal, never to be trusted and our pharmacist never make mistakes and should have the right to deny you your medications, just because.
I've had more problems with Walgreens than any other pharms. Unfortunately, they are the only pharm close to me.

Cricket
I'm also in the Midwest and we have CVS here also. We also DO still have Osco - but they are inside Jewel, so really just part of the store, with a pharmacist.

Also - it's ridiculous that we have to get real Sudafed from the pharmacist with an ID. I feel like a junkie just because my nose is stuffed up - and I actually HATE taking that stuff because it makes me anxious - but the stuff on the shelf doesn't work. Seriously, I would imagine it takes a lot of boxes to make meth - and a mom standing there with her kid can't just buy cold medicine without showing a driver's license.
(10-20-2016, 12:57 AM)Audrey Hepburn Wrote: Hey Orrenson,

Oh yeah, the Jewel pharmacies are Osco!   The majority of the freestanding Oscos were turned into CVS.  The sudephed thing is so stupid.  Since you mentioned Jewel, we are in the same place and there aren't any metb labs around here. Every time I have to get my license scanned to buy cold medicine I ask how many people have been flagged for buying it. "None" is the only answer I've ever received.

I miss Jewel and especially Dominick's before they went under...What's funny about the "behind the counter" OTC stuff is that I didn't realize it was any different than the stuff on the shelves. One day I asked about it (had the flu) and was curious what's the difference, and the pharmacist looked at me like I was the devil...
(10-20-2016, 05:25 AM)Audrey Hepburn Wrote: Mystical have you checked out or heard about Marianos?  IMO about a million times better that Dominics.
The business story is interesting. The old CEO of Dominics wanted to compete with Whole Foods and put in fresh and organic, sushi, etc. Dominics execs and board said no. The CEO decided to leave and Dominics put him on a 5 year noncompete contract. He spent the 5 years planning out Marianos with fresh bakery, sushi chefs, wine bars, coffee bars, you name it. Not all the Marianos have everything but it is truly a shopping Mecca.  They really were the nail in the coffin for Dominics.

Love Mariano's. Excellent food and especially the bakery. I remember reading about that CEO in the Daily Heralds...I need to plan a trip back home.
(10-19-2016, 07:26 PM)Mystical Wrote: Being taken into an area and searched is where I'd contact an attorney and sue. I know in the US, that would be considered a bad stop for asset protection/loss prevention and many companies have lost a ton of money due to it. If I were in that situation, I'd call the police.

I think because it was private I don't have grounds to sue. If it were public then I'd be suing for humiliation, but that's not so obviously the case in private. They would argue they needed to establish I was correct and the tramadol hadn't slipped into my other bag. I went along with what they were doing, but only because I felt they expected me to give up and go away.

Charon is totally right though... absolute assumption I was wrong/lying. If I'm VERY charitable I suppose I'd concede they count the pills twice whereas I was on gabapentin with a memory like a goldfish. Took me a while to realise that I was actually right and they were wrong!
I always verify, and sometimes count my pills on the "pharmacian's help desk" because of sometimes they would give me less than my 60x10mg Valium. Another time, I told the pharmacist I get along best on refill day, what the hell is this, this is not blue, that's not valium. Oh it was a 10mg pill...10mg Oxazepam....I never ever saw anyone with a script for 10mg Oxazepam, might as well have a glass of milk with honey if using that for sleep. I know there is 15mg and 30mg ones here, and in Europe, there is 50mg Oxazepam. Which isn't even that crazy. On a basic tolerance I usually always go back to, where 20mg valium a day + temazepam 30mg capsules (with powder inside...they go up to 30mg here and in the US, at bed time. I have an uncle with whom we help each other when in case of needing benzos because some events made it so our respective GAD didn't react well, and his 30mg oxazepam, I have to eat 3-4, takes an hour to kick in and then is profoundly anxiolytic...but for about 15 minutes. Lamest benzo ever. Although I've never had Frisium...that's almost only for seizures.

But yeah, always better to verify your script is filled correctly every time you go pick something up. One time they..not Walgreens, we pretty much have our own pharmacy chains up here, one is very large and owns a smallish chain in New England just south of me, gave me omeprazole instead of pantoprazole...not a big deal, PPI's work pretty much all the same, they mostly vary in their length of action is what I understand.