Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Google will print every question on meds u ask
I started petitions to alert people to the oncoming loss of privacy that i could read about in the patriot act and in other laws that changed.

Only my one niece would sign it.

All the members of forums way back then would say: It will never happen that way in the USA.

Balderdash. It has happened right before their eyes. I still think most neither see how much freedom we have lost, nor believe our country is capable of a few bad motives in some of their actions.

I tried years ago, miss cricket. I learned to go quiet because the people seem to still think that they actually pick a president. That social security will be there for them. That our country cares for the elderly and disabled.

Unfortunately, we know elsewise. But, I have learned to keep quiet.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

(09-12-2016, 11:53 PM)Charon Wrote: I started petitions to alert people to the oncoming loss of privacy that i could read about in the patriot act and in other laws that changed.

Only my one niece would sign it.

All the members of forums way back then would say:  It will never happen that way in the USA.

Balderdash.  It has happened right before their eyes.  I still think most neither see how much freedom we have lost, nor believe our country is capable of a few bad motives in some of their actions.

I tried years ago, miss cricket.  I learned to go quiet because the people seem to still think that they actually pick a president.  That social security will be there for them.  That our country cares for the elderly and disabled.

Unfortunately, we know elsewise.  But, I have learned to keep quiet.

LOL, yeah, I tried to keep quiet lately, but it was driving me crazy. Now I can't seem to shut up. I get so mad at people that bury their heads in the sand. How much more will it take for them to wake the f**k up? We're toast because of it.

Cricket
A mighty fine post Charon with  good solid advice.

Listen.

And there are several search engines that will not log the searches.

DuckDuckGo dot com

Startpage dot com

Do not use g o o g l e as your default engine they log everything .

Lots of layers to do as safety .

No need to make it so easy for them, .....
Linville,
Thanks for the suggestions. Gosh after reading more of these posts, I am even afraid to mention anything.
Is yahoo just as bad? Assume it is.
OR

Found this on one of the engines Linville suggested.
I know you guys mentioned this but reading it on the webpage is just shocking to me. Not that I have been living In a cave for the past 15 years, but really. I never was really sure about Snowden and why he did what he did, but boy do I understand now.

Your privacy is under attack!

Every time you use a regular search engine, your search data is recorded. Major search engines capture your IP address and use tracking cookies to make a record of your search terms, the time of your visit, and the links you choose - then they store that information in a giant database.

Tracking your searches can erode your privacy and lead to censorship.

In addition, those searches reveal a shocking amount of personal information about you, such as your interests, family circumstances, political leanings, medical conditions, and more. This information is modern-day gold for marketers, government officials, black-hat hackers and criminals - all of whom would love to get their hands on your private search data
There is a partial technical solution. Does this forum have a robots.txt file? For anyone who doesn't know what robots.txt means, I would say "google it", but that seems a bit inappropriate Wink - though to be fair, Google have some quite detailed and informative info about it.

hxxps://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6062608?hl=en  - replace hxxps with https at the start.

Basically, a robots.txt file communicates with a search engine when it crawls a website. You can in essence say "please don't index this website". Not all search engines will play nicely, but the big G does obey your request. Not sure it will scrub what is already out there, but might more stop more stuff leaking. You still have to assume anything posted in the open is entirely public.
(09-13-2016, 02:33 AM)Linville Wrote: A mighty fine post Charon with  good solid advice.

Listen.

DuckDuckGo dot com

Startpage dot com

Thank for the info Linville. I downloaded Startpage, but it seems to be fighting with g o o g l e over startup access. I also noticed that SP has a powered by g o o g l e note on it. Don't know what to think. I will keep working on it. Hope it doesn't consume my whole day Confused
(09-13-2016, 03:48 PM)MoJim Wrote:
(09-13-2016, 02:33 AM)Linville Wrote: A mighty fine post Charon with  good solid advice.

Listen.

DuckDuckGo dot com

Startpage dot com

Thank for the info Linville. I downloaded Startpage, but it seems to be fighting with g o o g l e over startup access. I also noticed that SP has a powered by g o o g l e note on it. Don't know what to think. I will keep working on it. Hope it doesn't consume my whole day Confused

MoJim. 

Hi, there is someplace on your computer to make a default search engine.

Maybe in your control panel.....

I usually use DuckDuckGo have it set to default...

Hmm I remember seeing that powered by goofel on the start page but I will have o look at It to remember what it is.

MoJim, click on the little error beside the word Goog le and it says that startpage submits your search to them after removing any identifying data from you.....

A very good thing we all should do or use....
Awesome advice. Duck duck go it will be.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Yes either one is equally as good last time I checked .

I will take time later to investigate and come back to this thread and comment.

Whelp gotta go for now...

Sometimes maybe you will not get S many search results but in my mind that is a good trade off that the page is not keeping track of what you search for....you know .
Here's a HOT tip......Charon has mentioned burner phones ( a very good solution) as a way to remain private.

Now available is an app that turns your smart phone into a burner phone....don't have to keep buying and throwing away another electronic device.  Research it for yourself........

"Enter Burner, the app that’s changed the burner phone game. Burner allows you to create multiple numbers on your phone for work, online shopping, dating, and any other reason you may want to keep your personal number private. You can delete a number at any time, and can create as many numbers as you please. Sound convenient? Most users think so, despite wanting minor updates and changes. Check out the reviews on iTunes and Google Play to see what people have to say!

Burner speaks to the practical uses for a burner phone without actually having to buy and throw away a physical, prepaid device. Could it get any better? Well, other than putting the Burner app on your prepaid device, of course."
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata