Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lower back pain - recommendations
Hey all, hope everyone is doing well. Thought I'd check in with the forum and tap into your experience. I have chronic lower back pain. Went to the doctor and they gave me RX for Meloxicam - didn't even touch the pain. Went back they said they'd give me something stronger. Gave me RX for Baclofen. Again didn't even touch the pain. 

So I'm reaching out to the forum for advice. I've tried some leftover RX's that have had some effect: Tramadol 50 seems to do better but not completely effective. Tried Hydrocodone APAP 7.5/325 and that definately  helps. And tried Hydrocodone 5/325 and Hydrocodone APAP 7.5/750. All seem to help quite a bit. But as mentioned these were all leftover RXs that are dwindling.  Sad 

So based on your experience, whats out there, that might be effective, that one of our IOP's might actually have?

I'm new to this so I appreciate any help. And please be patient with me. I'd appreciate it if you would put in as plain English as possible, avoid too many abbreviations or slang.

Thanks in advance!  Smile
Hi TB,
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear about your pain.  
Can you be more specific with the details, is it sciatica? muscle spasms?
Also, was there a specific event that started your condition.
Hang in there, we have quite a few members that can help.
cheers!
Z9
Z9 thanks for the welcome and the questions. It's sciatica - lower back pain. I'm 6'4" and have a curved spine both Lordosis (back swaying - curved inward) Scoliosis (sideways curvature). No particular event caused it. Its developed over the years. Used to be I'd get severe pain at the end of the day anytime I really pushed my body - worked hard. Now all it takes almost any routine task to leave me nearly crippled with pain. I also have arthritis. I've tried arthritis meds - meloxicam, and muscle relaxants - baclofen and they do nothing. I've tried a few leftover RX's with Hydrocodone in them and they seem to work very well. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

(08-25-2016, 06:33 PM)zorada9 Wrote: Hi TB,
Welcome to the forum.
cheers!
Z9

Forgot to mention in my last post, I've also tried Tram 50mg and those take the edge off, a lot better than baclofen (useless). But the pain is still there.
(08-25-2016, 06:33 PM)zorada9 Wrote: Hi TB,
Welcome to the forum.
cheers!
Z9

Z9 - not sure if you would have seen my last post. Just learning how to navigate thru this forum. here it is ...Z9 thanks for the welcome and the questions. It's sciatica - lower back pain. I'm 6'4" and have a curved spine both Lordosis (back swaying - curved inward) Scoliosis (sideways curvature). No particular event caused it. Its developed over the years. Used to be I'd get severe pain at the end of the day anytime I really pushed my body - worked hard. Now all it takes almost any routine task to leave me nearly crippled with pain. I also have arthritis. I've tried arthritis meds - meloxicam, and muscle relaxants - baclofen and they do nothing. I've tried a few leftover RX's with Hydrocodone in them and they seem to work very well. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Vicodin and percs have always worker pretty good for my.back pain.
(08-26-2016, 02:02 AM)scooter3079 Wrote: Vicodin and percs have always worker pretty good for my.back pain.

Scooter thanks for the input. I agree, the vics - hidro cod seem to work great. Perks might be too strong for me (thoughts?). Seems like vics are harder to find. I see a lot of regular cod 60mg's out there. How does straight up cod compare with hidro cod?
Why not try increasing the dose of tramadol and adding a soma or valium. I would definitely try to find a good muscle relaxant at least. You don't want to take a painkiller overdo it and end up even worse.
(08-26-2016, 05:13 PM)Bishop Wrote: Why not try increasing the dose of tramadol and adding a soma or valium. I would definitely try to find a good muscle relaxant at least. You don't want to take a painkiller overdo it and end up even worse.

Lots of questions about doses. Is it safe to increase tram fr 50 to 100? What sort med is s0ma? Can u mix tram w soma and/or val? Thanks for any input you can give. I've got so much to learn.
it is not safe to increase tram. if u have a tendency toward seizures, it will bring them on. once u have a seizure, they will come forever.

further, tramadol has proven to have a significant anti depressant effect. so, when one decides to go off them, they go into heavy depression.

Withdrawal from tram is also very difficult. Very. When u read enough posts on here, you will see what i mean in candid statements from members.

Many of us self diagnose to some extent. But, it is based on years of research. Years of medical care.

You cannot decide to add a medicine to your regimen, without some actual medical advice on this.

You must research the effects of those meds u mentioned, soma and valium.

You know u can never go off a benzo such as valium, once u start, without doing a taper? It can lead to death.

Research. No one will answer medical questions for you.

We are family here, but we are not your doctor and cannot advise accordingly.

You must research and decide for you. Your choices come with a lifetime of consequences. Make no mistake.

And, this is an horrific time to attempt to get safe meds.

Be careful.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

(08-26-2016, 05:56 PM)Charon Wrote: it is not safe to increase tram.  if u have a tendency toward seizures, it will bring them on.  once u have a seizure, they will come forever.

further,  tramadol has proven to have a significant anti depressant effect.  so, when one decides to go off them, they go into heavy depression.

Withdrawal from tram is also very difficult.  Very.  When u read enough posts on here, you will see what i mean in candid statements from members.

Many of us self diagnose to some extent.  But, it is based on years of research.  Years of medical care.

You cannot decide to add a medicine to your regimen, without some actual medical advice on this.

You must research the effects of those meds u mentioned, soma and valium.

You know u can never go off a benzo such as valium, once u start, without doing a taper?  It can lead to death.

Research.  No one will answer medical questions for you.

We are family here, but we are not your doctor and cannot advise accordingly.

You must research and decide for you.  Your choices come with a lifetime of consequences.  Make no mistake.

And, this is an horrific time to attempt to get safe meds.  

Be careful.
Charon thanks for the reply. It's hard to figure out what's safe & what's not when some offer their opinions, even though they mean well. Thx for the honesty.