Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SUGAR IS A PROBLEM
Sugar is such a huge contributor to the dramatic rise in type 2 diabetes. I was travelling at the weekend and picking up food along the way that was low in sugar was a real problem. I ended up buying the healthiest sandwich I could, but of course that's still bread (albeit wholemeal/brown) with a salad filling. As I walked through my home town I looked at all the takeaways selling cheap carbs and other tempting foods that convert straight to sugar.Good quality protein food or vegetables/salad were more expensive. So you either need to take complete control of your own diet, or be relatively wealthy, to avoid a high sugar diet.
@barq- something to ponder........the CHEAPEST foods in a supermarket are the best for you...they are the fruits and vegetables.....nothing in the markets cost less.
In fact, it is a myth that to eat better you need money. It is the processed foods that are the most expensive....in part because of packaging and profits.

@Rumor....sorry my friend, you have to sacrifice by eating smaller quantities....there are no good substitutes for your ice cream/gelato desires. I wouldn't give them up....just eat a little less.....I use a small bowl and filler up......fooling myself LOL

Here is a link to some interesting info:
http://www.hellawella.com/battle-frozen-...-vs-fro-yo
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
(10-18-2016, 04:13 PM)Popster Wrote: @barq-   something to ponder........the CHEAPEST foods in a supermarket are the best for you...they are the fruits and vegetables.....nothing in the markets cost less.
In fact, it is a myth that to eat better you need money.  It is the processed foods that are the most expensive....in part because of packaging and profits.

@Rumor....sorry my friend, you have to sacrifice by eating smaller quantities....there are no good substitutes for your ice cream/gelato desires.  I wouldn't give them up....just eat a little less.....I use a small bowl and filler up......fooling myself LOL

Here is a link to some interesting info:
http://www.hellawella.com/battle-frozen-...-vs-fro-yo

Fruit and veggies may not be such a good option anymore. Everything is GMO crap now and they refuse to label it if it is. So, we are maybe getting a false sense of security. Why do they refuse to label GMO's? Because they know people will buy other products that have no GMO. Like I said, they have ALL bases covered

There are other countries that require it to be labeled or allow no GMO foods at all. Why does our country deny us the choice? What are they hiding? We have Monsanto to thank for bringing us sooo many wonderful (NOT) products. That company has to be run by Satan himself. If they have their hands in it, be pretty sure it's not something good for you.

They are making it impossible to be healthy and leaving us no choice. Do you pick poison no. 1 or poison no. 2. It's still all poison. Who does all of this benefit? BIG PHARMA for one. The food makes us sick so that they can give you drugs for your symptoms, which give you more symptoms, so more drugs they can sell us and it goes on and on.

It's a total takeover of OUR bodies, our money and our freedom.

Cricket
(10-18-2016, 04:38 PM)Cricket Wrote:
(10-18-2016, 04:13 PM)Popster Wrote: @barq-   something to ponder........the CHEAPEST foods in a supermarket are the best for you...they are the fruits and vegetables.....nothing in the markets cost less.
In fact, it is a myth that to eat better you need money.  It is the processed foods that are the most expensive....in part because of packaging and profits.

Fruit and veggies may not be such a good option anymore. Everything is GMO crap now and they refuse to label it if it is. So, we are maybe getting a false sense of security. Why do they refuse to label GMO's? Because they know people will buy other products that have no GMO. Like I said, they have ALL bases covered

Cricket, I'm in one of the countries that doesn't have GMO foods. Not sure how long that will continue, but luckily there is a growing emphasis on buying organic - which definitely means no GMO, but it does cost more. I'm sorry that the powers that be put profit before people where you are.

Popster, I agree they are cheap if you have access to a supermarket. I was eating on the go and commenting on the food available in small shops, or the type of outlets you get in airports, railroad and bus stations. I think that's an important issue since so many people now eat out. I'm temporarily one-handed, so I can't prepare vegetables which is really annoying. Otherwise cooking your own food from raw ingredients is definitely the best. Totally agree with you about the processing and packaging too.
caver i PM'd u that u made 14 posts already today. we allow five to ten tops. so i deleted ur last one.

if i have to, i shall delete ur ability to post for 24 hrs.

we won't share our info with newbies whom don't follow our rules. we don't know whom u r at all.

no more posts today.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

i am personally just drowning in sugar frankly, partly because it helps me chase alcohol but now i've gotten into these freeze pops because it's just another thing i can use to distract myself instead of getting loaded. frankly i'm just waiting to get diabetes. i'd really like to change it but it's hard. have some worse habits i'd like to get rid of first too frankly, but i'm aware this shit is killing me too

that being said i did... i don't know... within the last 4 months? maybe 3? switched over from eating unheathily to trying out the blue apron service. there are plenty like it, but for me this was a big help. i don't eat everything they send me, like for instance if kale is in a meal that shit is going in the trash can and i'll eat the rest but every time i've tried to "diet" i have no idea what to cook or how to make it interesting and this has been a huge help. i started off cooking their recipes with those nice closely sourced high quality ingredients and i started to learn some things. i kept going and you know, i've had weeks where i was sent a box of ingredients and decided to do someting different with all of it. i'm sure it's not for everyone but, me personally i found out i enjoy cooking and i'm actually not so bad at it. as a creative person actually i really like it. i think their lowest plan is for like 2 people, and i live alone, which i guess is kind of lame, but the way i look at it when they send me three meals they are really sending me six. anyway. this should probably be in health and diet or whatever, but i just wanted to put it out there... if you're looking to change up your diet this might be something that can work for you if you're like me and have no idea what to cook... although. you know what, that's changing. these days... i can rustle something together with a few ingredients on hand... and it feels pretty good. probably the most healthy change i've made this year.

-S.
Wow, this is a great thread. Sugar is indeed a very dangerous, well, drug. I finally made the connection years ago that I would frequently wake up with a headache - after consuming a bowl of ice cream the night before. Any and all processed sugar tends to give me a headache after a few hours, but for a long time I never realized that sugar was the culprit. For a few years recently, I gave up all processed sugar and limited myself to one piece of fresh fruit daily, and I felt terrific. That kind of a diet is hard to maintain, so now I am not as strict, but certainly am prone to headaches if I overindulge.

I haven't had a regular soda in years and have very few diet drinks. A Reese's now and then is OK, and the ice cream urge is satisfied with quality, not quantity. Sugar is indeed dangerous and is the cause of an overwhelming array of health problems. Use it very sparingly!
Anything that tastes so good shouldn't be bad for you....it's like trap...very sneaky.
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
You lost me at sugar is bad. Sad part is I know it is but it's like anything that's wonderful in this world. There's always something that can harm you. Life is too short to skip the moments of happiness. Hard facts to accept though. Seeing that the things we love are super sneaky. But very good read to mull over next time I reach for that sugar loaded treat. Thank you for insight. Smile
"Love your life and love others around you"
The real problem is not that sugar is bad....it's the quantities we eat. Manufacturers sneak it into most all of our processed foods...with tricky names like:
Anhydrous dextrose, brown sugar, cane crystals, cane sugar, corn sweetener, corn syrup, corn syrup solids, crystal dextrose, evaporated cane juice, fructose sweetener, fruit juice concentrates, high-fructose corn syrup, honey, liquid fructose, malt syrup, maple syrup, molasses, pancake syrup, raw sugar, sugar, syrup and white sugar.

According to the nonprofit Food Label Movement, there are almost 100 different names for sugar and sugar alcohols on ingredient lists.

Some of the less apparent sugar names include carbitol, concentrated fruit juice, corn sweetener, diglycerides, disaccharides, evaporated cane juice, erythritol, Florida crystals, fructooligosaccharides, galactose, glucitol, glucoamine, hexitol, inversol, isomalt, maltodextrin, malted barley, malts, mannitol, nectars, pentose, raisin syrup, ribose rice syrup, rice malt, rice syrup solids, sorbitol, sorghum, sucanat, sucanet, xylitol and zylose.