Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SUGAR IS A PROBLEM
Sad 
This thread is intended for a free for all discussion about SUGAR.

I have copied other members posts from the Cafe Linville thread to here as a beginning:

Popster Posted"
Linville......  I did a little research...because I thought sugar was the culprit....but I was wrong:
"Caffeine is a more reliable source of energy than sugar, but comes with its own negative impacts on your sleep. What you may not realize is that caffeine stays in your system for up to 12 hours. Despite what you think, those six cups of coffee are definitely affecting your sleep. Even if you do manage to get some shut eye, overconsumption of caffeine can mean tossing and turning throughout the night."
But the sugar is really worse for you.....I recently saw a documentary that labeled it a "poison".......and my food nutrition chart in the kitchen lists the value of all the different foods with a Plus factor (the scale is 1 to 100) and lists soda pop as having a minus 12 factor........surprisingly the best fruit is watermelon.  I usually don't drink soda, but I had a coke yesterday and it has 48 friggin grams of sugar...that's 1 and 3/4 ounces of sugar. Put that in your hand to give perspective.  Very Very bad.
Odwalla was making my favorite "health" drinks....until I looked at the sugar contents.....phony baloney. Their super food (the green one) has "Sugars 36g"....and now Odwalla is owned by Coca Cola.....the free market system is tricky business.....everyone must protect themselves with knowledge.....

Watch out for those "health bars".....most are candy bars with way over 20 grams of sugar.
Okay one last word and I will stop....but this is the worst fact of all:  When you look at the ingredients of any product you will see the ingredients listed as a percentage of the RDA.  Go now to your pantry and notice the only ingredient NOT listed as a percentage is sugar...because EVERY product has MORE than the 100% RDA....this exception is the direct result of the sugar industry lobbyists........as you can tell, I am very upset about this and am trying to educate my family and friends......I am an activist about sugarSmile
Okay......end of rant  Rolleyes    

Linville posted:
H yes a lot of the so called health drinks are loaded with way too much sugar.
I try to choose something as simple as bread with zero sugar in it and check it out sometime it is hard to do.
They put sugar in everything....just like salt.
Oncologists will tell you that cancer feeds on sugar.
I do choose something sweet at times but I also know that moderation is my friend.

Cricket posted:
Another little game the FDA plays on us is when reading the labels looking for sugar content, they will put it under other names to trick us. I'm sure they do that with many ingredients so that we really don't know what and how much of certain things we are getting.
I truly believe the reason we see so much cancer and other diseases today is because of all of the crap they put in our food. All these additives and dyes and preservatives are killing us slowly. It's almost impossible to eat healthy now. It also makes me wonder what they're not putting on those labels?
But hey, their system is working out well for them. They're taking care of their "population control" and helping Big Pharma make money on us from all of the illnesses these chemicals cause. It's the soft kill.

Audrey posted:
Watch the documentary Food, Inc.
That was the biggest eye opener I've ever had.

Popster Posted:
yes Audrey is right.....a very good documentary.
I've looked at every box of cereal in the Supermarkets.....the ONLY two cereals without sugar are GrapeNuts and Shredded Wheat.
and Cricket is right about the manufacturers disquising sugar under not understood names....here is a list of 56 names:

I would like to add this.....all of this sugar was added to our foods when "fat" was determined to be bad for us.....the manufactures then removed the fat (which tastes good) and replaced it with sugar (which tastes good) a charade..... this is a fact, not an opinion.

Glad many of you are interested....it is an important subject and the main cause of obesity in our children......check out Jamba Juice....creepy. America has children under 10 with type 2 diabetes....this was unheard of until the current generation....it's epidemic and going to get worse Sad

Spanky posted:
As for sugar and cancer Pop, you are correct, doubtless.  I have a niece who is an MD.  She went back to school and took lots of what she called "mods" to get certified in a specialty I can never remember the name of.  Beyond nutritionist, but leaned heavy on diet.  Anyway.  She was always reminding me of the relationship between sugar and cancer.  As a survivor, it's important that I take every precaution, which I don't.  I finally explained to her that early detection was paramount in dealing with cancer.  If I had one little cancer cell that had migrated anywhere, I'd want to know about it as soon as possible.  Cancer is only detectable after it reaches a certain stage of growth, no instrument can find one or two cells.  So, it was important that if I did have a hidden cell, that it reach a mass that would be detectable by scans, so it was a simple matter of reason that I have some sugar in my diet.  
She was a bit miffed at my sneaky logic, but it got her off my reprobate back, ha.  But, no argument, lots of sugar not a good deal for anyone.  

Cricket posted:
One other little tidbit. Please don't think that using products containing Aspartame vs. sugar will be better. Exactly the opposite.
Tho sugar is bad, Aspartame is much much worse. You'd be better off choosing sugar. Aspartame is just another deadly chemical that they push on us. We have good old Donald Rumsfeld to thank for his contribution to population reduction. When they were trying to get it approved by the FDA, Donald was a big player at the drug co. that was behind this dangerous crap. With his clout in government, he made sure to grease the palms of the FDA to push it thru, even tho it was a known poison.
This evil cabal running the country want to kill off a lot of us so that the lesser numbers could be controlled easier, never thinking that this was being done behind our backs. These people? are unbelievably evil and don't give a rats behind what it does to us. This is why I trust NOTHING FDA approved. I also stay far, far away from anything geared towards senior citizens health products. Senior citizens and the crippled up people that are "useless eaters" and not able to contribute to society for whatever reason, are the 1st ones they want to do away with. I've done a lot of looking into this and it's scary as hell for those of us that fall into that category.
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
Sugar is bad for you and produces obesity. Not just through the calories it brings but from the food cravings it produces. After you quit sugar you start to crave flour; bread, rolls, pasta, etc. That is because flour turns directly into sugar in your stomach. Quit sugar and flour and watch the pounds drop off.

The only thing worse than sugar is fake sugar.
(08-20-2016, 02:38 AM)Grandote Wrote: Sugar is bad for you and produces obesity. Not just through the calories it brings but from the food cravings it produces. After you quit sugar you start to crave flour; bread, rolls, pasta, etc. That is because flour turns directly into sugar in your stomach. Quit sugar and flour and watch the pounds drop off.

The only thing worse than sugar is fake sugar.

I think this is what Fire did a while back.

Stopped the sugar and the flour.....maybe she will clarify....if not.

And yes to the only thing worse than the real sugar is the fake sugar
@Fire....."One thing I personally discovered with eating is that "if one eats junk (sugar in whatever form), one craves junk. So hopefully after a couple of weeks of clean eating, that is what her body will be craving."

EXACTLY my experience........always had some sweet after dinner (small amounts). When I stopped, I barely noticed I wasn't craving the sweet......and now it is rare for me to eat sweets after dinner.

I think sugar is an addiction......eat it and your body wants more.
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
I usually just drink water, and eat pretty healthy most days. Not "health bar" healthy, but fruit, natural peanut butter and a protein shake for breakfast, and lean natural/antibiotic free meats, vegs etc. I think the worst part of my diet is red bull. I have 3-4 of those per week. Not near as much sugar as those who drink 8 cans of soda a day, but still a bit. Nobody is perfect, we all slip up when trying to avoid or stick to certain things
I don't see it as slipping up...if your trying hard...it's more like deserving Smile
Unfortunately, due to hemorrhage and a difficult c section, I have had to supplement with formula. What is one of the first ingredients of the major brands? Corn syrup! Hook them while they are young! Ironically, the generic Walgreens brand is one of the few without corn syrup
I am grateful that you care enough to know and look.....that is so cool and thoughtful and motherlySmile
(09-18-2016, 09:00 PM)Batgirl Wrote: Unfortunately, due to hemorrhage and a difficult c section, I have had to supplement with formula. What is one of the first ingredients of the major brands? Corn syrup! Hook them while they are young! Ironically, the generic Walgreens brand is one of the few without corn syrup

I noticed that too after I went back to work and couldn't bf anymore I bought Walgreens generic. There's another brand I ordered online although I'll have to look through some things I can't remember off the top of my head.
Because folks are wising up about sugar.....it's a good idea to read labels AGAIN...even if you have read them before.

I have found changes in sugar quantities with generic foods that are lower than name brands....

Watch out for those "health" bars.....they are one of the worst items. yesterday I found one that had 28 grams....that's a full ounce of sugar in a "health" bar....what an insultSad

You ladies that are looking out for your babies intake of sugar get my deepest respect!!!