Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vitamin D
(10-17-2016, 02:05 AM)Cricket Wrote:
(10-16-2016, 09:37 PM)Colton4Trmz Wrote: I"m also a mega dose D taker as well! Apparently my endo told me that i was allergic to vit D and my body doesnt process it well. Never heard of this! But now i'm on the 50K weekly regimen. I certianly get better sleep when my D is regulated, that's for sure but i dont really see the benefits in taking a multivit or any other vit for tht matter unless you have a clinical deficiency.  Most recent studies i have browsed from my school's directory seem to trend that over saturation of vitamins can lead to unhealthy side effects.

I agree that taking too many is not helpful and a waste of money. However, if people are buying their vitamins from the pharmacy and grocery store's many brands, you are not getting as much as you think. The best vitamins you can get are ones from places that sell natural, NOT synthetic vitamins. All of those store bought brands are watered down and not as good for you as they would like you to think.

Have you heard of Codex Alimentarius sp? ? The government and WHO are trying to make vitamins in such low doses that they are worthless. They also are trying to make all vitamins by prescription only. They don't want us to be healthy. Big Pharma wouldn't make big money selling us their prescription drugs to combat problems that taking GOOD vitamins can help us avoid.

I take many vitamins because I don't eat right or eat very much. I feel better taking them to replace what I don't get from eating like I should, but don't go overboard either.

Just remember, natural is always better than synthetic man made crap they push on us. Find a good natural vitamin shop online. I use a place called Swanson Vitamins, as do others here. Good stuff. Might cost a little more, but better than wasting your money on useless vitamins.

Cricket

Here's a site for you guys to read about codex alimentarius so you can see what they're up to.

http://www.natural-health-information-ce...arius.html
It seems that there is a trend moving away from regarding D as being 'just another vitamin' and towards it being more  hormone-like in it's activity.
In Australia, Big Medicine decided decades ago that Homo Sapiens were in fact Vampires and that we would most definitely expire if the sun so much as touched our skin.
Years of national television campaigns did their job, hypnotizing the population to such an extent that a huge proportion of us are now ridiculously Vit D deficient.

YouTOOb is about as far away from being a Peer Reviewed Medical Journal as you can get ( Big Grin) but if you want the low down on Vit D, search in there for
The Vitamin D Debacle with Ivor  - which is his (more accessible) 30min version of his 2 hour lecture -  D is for Debacle - The Crucial Story of Vitamin D and Human

Also recommended is the website of The Vitamin D Council 
For those who prefer to listen, they have a podcast as well.

For those who just want to know How Much Should I Take, 'all things being equal' i.e. (you are an Average Adult who spends most of their time indoors),
you would probably only benefit from taking 2,000iu with breakfast and 2,000iu with dinner.   Forever more.
It's fat soluble, so best absorbed when there's some fat in your meal.
Also the jury is now in - regular daily doses are FAR more beneficial than a single gigantic monthly dose.

Of course everyone would be best to start with a blood test and watch their D climb into the Healthy range as they continue their supplement. (I mean why wouldn't you?)

It's on my Essential Supplements list (and there's only a few things on that list).
It's crazy cheap and particularly safe (plz stay under 10,000iu/day).

I am not your Doctor. This post does not constitute medical advice, blah blah blah.
Watch Ivor Cummins and my work here will be done.
(He has also assembled the best lecture on Cholesterol that I have ever had the pleasure of watching.)

D is for "Damned Right you should take it every day".   Big Grin
Richardg8092, that was extremely informative. I am going to watch that utoob video on Ivor Cummins you suggest. I take D bc my doc told me to a while back and I'm not a "sun person."
(01-14-2018, 09:54 PM)maldita Wrote: My last reading was 23nmol/l. I started having issues with my Vit D when I moved to the UK. Getting the supplements is supposed to help me with my pain so I am waiting for it to get to the correct level.

Hi Maldita. I am glad that you are onto the Vitamin D supplement now - but 23nmol/L is still regarded as quite a low level.
Virtually everyone  (and/or their doctor) would be aiming for 100 nmol/L 
My experience is that many doctors can be overly conservative when it comes to recommending doses of vitamin supplements.
Would you feel comfortable asking your doctor if they mind you taking a 2,000iu twice a day for a few months to see if it helps you get to 100nmol/L ? 
(Doc has every right to be concerned if you said you want to take over 10,000iu/day - but should have no issues with a very safe 2 x 2,000iu per day.)
I can only imagine how much better you will feel (in so many ways) and the GP will be pleased to see your pathology results reaching near-adequate levels of Vitamin D.

For extra support, you could print out this page from the Vitamin D Council website for the doctor.
It discusses both the issues you raise - skin color and sun exposure.
It might just help nudge them in the right direction.
(And if they don't agree, at least their beef is with the Vitamin D Council and not with you. Big Grin )
https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vi...ody-needs/

I hope you will post your next blood test result in a few months time.
I wonder how close to the 'magic 100' it will be?

Best of luck.

maldita Wrote: " The important thing is to stay within the approved RDA range."

The RDA is a confusing and often misunderstood term.
RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) actually means 'How much you need to avoid getting a recognized deficiency illness'.   
In this sense, 'Allowance' is a very word misleading word to use.
RDA sounds like - but it is most certainly NOT a recommendation of the daily dose for a vitamin supplement.

If possible, people are best to make decisions about supplementation based on their blood test results, not from outdated & confusing term like RDA.

In the case of Vit D, the RDA is 40iu/day -  but the Recommended Supplemental Dose for the majority of people 4,000iu/day  
There's a hundredfold difference between the daily level  you mustn't fall below, and the level you should aim to get.

(Sorry if my tone comes across as a little severe, but RDA triggers me every time!   Big Grin )
(08-14-2016, 01:20 PM)Harley Wrote: I have to take mega doses of Vit D about twice a year.  It seems that every 6 months when my Dr does a blood test to check it I am low so I get the three months of 50,000 Units a week.

I am allergic to the sun which for me means that if I am outside with no sunblock on it takes only a few mins of it hitting my skin before I start breaking out.  It's weird because I can feel it starting.  I just put sunblock on every day as my lotions all contain it and I keep a small regular sunblock in my purse and cars for when needed.  I still tan up some.

I had decided awhile ago to just get more sun so I have been going outside (yes, even in this heat) and sitting on the picnic table for a few minutes a couple times each day.  I found out though that wearing sunblock negates the ability of absorbing the Vit D from the sun so that was a useless exercise.

I declined my last test and said I'll do it next round because I was in a hurry and didn't want to wait for the Lab person to get into the office and now she is on Maternity leave so I am waiting another 3 months at least till she returns. (easier/cheaper than going to an actual Lab place) I had noticed that my arthritis was getting more nagging so I bought a bottle of 5,000 Units and about 3 weeks ago started taking them (50K spread out over the week) and the past two days I have barely noticed my arthritis.

I know reading about arthritis and general aches Vit D is often mentioned, but of course it is usually when I am okay.

What a difference just taking a supplement can make!  I am really pro Vit D now.  Lol, I'll probably become a vitamin junkie as I am reading all the others and what they can help.  I know, I know they make one a day's, but I buy them and then forget for some reason.  No logic in that I know.  Confused
I heard about this the other day. They said that vitamin D deals with a lot of organs and that depending on what the AMA is saying 70 to 90 % pf people in the US is low on D. They said you should take 5000 daily and that within 30 days you will feel better. Whenever everyone started worrying about sunburns and skin cancer that is allowed the vitamin D to become some deficient. If you go out in the sun in a bathing suit for 20 mins or so that will give you what you need. I might have misquoted part of this but I am sure of the 5000 number. If I can get where I heard this from I will let you know. I heard about this on talk radio locally and will look for it.

Regards Eddie
Hello esbayne,

Very interesting post. I wish you good health.

Sudsy
I have high cholesterol and my Doc put me on Lisinopril plus 10,000 units of vitamin D daily. Within several days of starting my prescribed medications I was shocked one morning to look in the mirror and see my face looking like I had been in the Caribbean sun all day. It looked like the worst sunburn I had ever had. I also take a GNC multi-vitamin which was giving me another 1600 Mg. of vitamin D daily so, yea, that's a lot of vitamin D.

Doc said that vitamin D was prescribed with Lisinopril since many patients experience muscle and joint pain while on Lisinopril, however, when used in combination with large doses of vitamin D, these side effects tend to go away.

I take (1) 5000 unit vitamin D from my prescription and (1) GNC multi-vitamin daily (total 6600 units vitamin D daily) and, although I still am a bit red in the face. I have no joint  / muscle pain, my cholesterol is in the correct range, and my head does not look like a big red balloon!

My Doc still wants me to go with the full script of 10,000 units per day, but I don't see why since I'm feeling pretty good about my cholesterol numbers right now and no complaints about side effects.

Blackbird
(01-18-2018, 04:16 AM)Raven Wrote: My Doc still wants me to go with the full script of 10,000 units per day, but I don't see why since I'm feeling pretty good about my cholesterol numbers right now and no complaints about side effects.

Blackbird

Hi Raven Blackbird.  Your doctor seems quite switched on to be prescribing the Vit D.
If you've been on the 6,600iu dose for a month or two, would you feel confident to ask your doctor for a Vit D blood test?
That would be the best way to guide both you and your doctor as to whether to continue on the current dose or to increase or decrease.
From my reading, the research suggests that 'more than 10,000iu per day' is not beneficial. Over 10,000iu can be when people get into the "too much of a good thing" area.
Of course, you may have special Vit D circumstances that we are not privy to - but you could not go wrong with a blood test Smile
Best of luck,
R.
(01-18-2018, 10:31 AM)Richardg8092 Wrote:
(01-18-2018, 04:16 AM)Raven Wrote: My Doc still wants me to go with the full script of 10,000 units per day, but I don't see why since I'm feeling pretty good about my cholesterol numbers right now and no complaints about side effects.

Blackbird

Hi Raven Blackbird.  Your doctor seems quite switched on to be prescribing the Vit D.
If you've been on the 6,600iu dose for a month or two, would you feel confident to ask your doctor for a Vit D blood test?
That would be the best way to guide both you and your doctor as to whether to continue on the current dose or to increase or decrease.
From my reading, the research suggests that 'more than 10,000iu per day' is not beneficial. Over 10,000iu can be when people get into the "too much of a good thing" area.
Of course, you may have special Vit D circumstances that we are not privy to - but you could not go wrong with a blood test Smile
Best of luck,
R.
RG:
You ask some very pertinent questions. When I had my 1st blood test my Vitamin D level was zero! Subsequent tests after administering the 6600 iu dose per day for a period of time showed an increasing level and my most recent blood test (last week) now indicates 38 ng/ml (30-100 recommended). Doc obviously wants me more in the centroid instead of just above the base level so I'm going to try 10,000 units as prescribed again. I will take the med with meals to try to buffer absorption and hopefully avoid the red balloon face going forward.

Thanks for your input.
Raven