Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vitamin D
(01-22-2018, 03:25 PM)Caver Wrote: Have you looked into a Malabsorption issue? Sensitivity to the sun can be related to inflammation of some sort. Your Doctor needs to run more tests.

Hi Caver:

Thanks for the suggestion / information. Let's go through this point by point:

1.) Malabsorption - I have been taking my 2nd 5000 iu Vitamin D capsule w/ my multi-vitamin. My typical routine is to do this just before I turn-in for the night, thus, both go down the hatch with a big drink of water long after my last meal. Is that not the definition of malabsorption? Help me out here.
2.) Sun exposure - NOT a problem for me living here in Northern New England! If I'm lucky, we have lot's of sunny weekends November - February and I get an hour or two of cold sunlight per week. Even in summertime, I work mostly inside and typically get a bit more sun on the weekends mowing the lawn or floating in the pool.

Not hard to see why my Vitamin D level was zero when 1st tested in the winter of 2016.

Thanks for your support.
Blackbird
RG:
Had my bi-annual physical a week-10 days ago. My PCP told me that Vitamin D is utilized in almost every organ in your body and that my prescribed dosage of 70,000 iu per week should not cause any problems. He had heard of the sunburn side effect (which I reported), but said that it typically diminished with time.

SO, I'm going to crank it up to my full prescribed dosage of 10,000 iu per day plus the additional 1600 iu per day I will get from my daily GNC multi-vitamin. I'm going to take the 10,000 iu all at once when I eat dinner. I will continue to take my multi-vitamin just before bedtime

Remember my blood test stats: I started in January 2017 with zero Vitamin D (began dosing at 1/2 of my prescription). By June 2017, my blood test showed 36.5 ng/ml Vitamin D. One year later, January 2018 I am testing at 38 ng/ml, just above the recommended baseline / recommended range of (30 -100 ng/ml) and I have begun administering my full prescription dose of 10, 0000 iu plus the 1600 iu per day I get from my multi-vitamin for a total of 11,600 iu per day.

Let's see what my blood test looks like in June. I will report results / side effects on this thread when the results are in.

P.S. To those with a new Lipitor script and a warning of muscle pain as a side-effect, I have had no problems with this med. and my cholesterol is down significantly. Don't completely ignore the Vitamin D script that may come with your Lipitor script however. Bottom line - Vitamin D can't hurt if prescribed.

Thanks.
Raven
Hi Raven - I'm surprised to hear that your pathology results didn't change significantly between the 6.600iu compared to a year later at the 11,600iu dose.
I'm with you - it seems prudent to continuing with the 10,000iu daily dose for the time being.
It'd be just so lovely to hear  you made it into 50 - or even 70ng/ml - zone.

I've got a hunch that the Vit D will hit more receptors as 5000iu with breakfast and 5,000 with dinner, rather than just a single humongous 10K hit once a day.
An equally important consideration though is what you are actually prepared to do on an ongoing basis.
If once a day is stress-free and easy, then go for it.  If twice a day would make you feel like a rattling vitamin junkie, then forget it. Big Grin

In theory, 16,600iu per day does just push you into the higher-than-generaly-recommended level for Vitamin D supplementation.
But as you are monitoring your bloods so frequently, it will be clear when - or if - you need to pull back the dose.
Also we've always gotta remember that everyone is different. You may be a person where 36.5 ng/ml is the sweet spot.
I'm really looking forward to the next 6monthly update! Thanks for being confident to share your information with us all.
R.

PS I'm a huge advocate of CoQ10 to be taken with the statin drugs like Lipitor or Crestor.
     But I can see the argument for adding Vitamin D to address statin induced muscle pain too.
     But then, I'd say "add in Vitamin D" in virtually every circumstance, because in my opinion Vit D is just THAT important.
There's a difference between having an opinion and having an informed opinion.
RG:

Let me first clarify that I have only administered the 6600 iu dose for a year to raise my Vitamin D level from my initial blood test which showed zero Vitamin D to the level shown from my recent blood test which showed 38 ng/ml. I have only recently upped my intake to match that prescribed (10,000 iu per day plus what I get from my multi-vitamin). It will be several more months before my next blood test. I too hope to get more into the 50+ range.

Since I last posted that I was going to up my Vitamin D dose to match my prescription I have not had any side effects, in fact, the red-faced effect I described before now seems diminished. I have been taking all 10,000 units just after dinner, but I'm going to take your advice and split the dose so I take 1/2 after breakfast and 1/2 after dinner.

GO Vitamin D!

Blackbird
(01-14-2018, 01:08 AM)Richardg8092 Wrote: It's on my Essential Supplements list (and there's only a few things on that list).

I'd be curious to hear what's on the list!
As recently as June 2016, Dr. Mike Allan, professor of Family Medicine and director of Evidence Based Medicine at the University of Alberta's Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry says: "Vitamin D may not be the great solution to health problems. Review finds little evidence for the benefits of vitamin D supplementation".

Uuuuuggggghhhhhh..... really?  

This is a great reminder of how we can be lead astray when we rely purely on "Evidence Based Medicine" ....
Read it and weep.   (But please keep taking your Vitamin D everyday. Dr. Allan will catch up - eventually.)
I am somewhat embarrassed that I have not come across the relationship between Vitamin D supplementation, Vit B5 deficiency and the microbiome before now.
On a personal note, I am relieved that I've been taking a multivitamin high in the B group for years before becoming a high dose Vitamin D advocate.

Vitamin D deficiency changes the intestinal microbiome reducing B vitamin production in the gut. The resulting lack of pantothenic acid adversely affects the immune system, producing a ‘‘pro-inflammatory” state associated with atherosclerosis and autoimmunity.

The takeaway message (as far as I can tell):   Vitamin D supplementation is great - but it's essential to take it with a good dose of Vit B5 (as found in virtually all multivitamins). 

Which reminds me schmok, thank you for suggesting the "What's on your Essential Daily Supplement" list....
Thyroid
First thing to check
then parathyroid
then osteomyelitis
Smoking lowers
Soda Pops lower
predisposition of phosphates in your water that you drink
I am told find the cause and then treat the sympyoms
(04-14-2018, 03:20 AM).whatapain Wrote: I am told find the cause and then treat the sympyoms

Absolutely.
And I am convinced that the cause of the almost universal Vit D deficiency (that we see in the western/industrialized world) is that we're continuously commanded by Experts to "Never let the sunlight touch your skin. Never. Ever."  That's great advice if you're a vampire, but terrible advice if you happen to be human. Big Grin 
Because, in simple terms, sunlight hitting our skin is the only way we manufacture Vitamin D for ourselves.

For at least 5 days a week I am inside. I am never in the sun. Not at home and not at work.
When I travel to and from work, I'm not in the sun.
When we walk our dog outside for 1/2 an hour every day - it's at sunset, not at midday. So once again... no sun.
That's only my experience, sure; but the 'no sun exposure life-style' is not unique to me, it's commonplace.
And it's that life style which is robbing us of our ability to make adequate levels of our own active Vitamin D.

Autoimmune diseases (including thyroid) are probably beyond the scope of a thread like this - but many are modulated by Vit D.
Agreed, Thyroid Function and PTH pathology have their place.  
And for a gazillion reasons, smoking (anything) and drinking sugar (as soda or fruit juice) is, well, kind of indefensible. (yet, oddly ubiquitous).
But if you insist on drinking Coke and sending your insulin resistance to hell and back, then people are starting to wonder if you could protect yourself with Vitamin D.

I know, I know, it sounds like all I have is a Vitamin D hammer, so every disease looks like a nail to me.
But, am I suggesting mega-doses of Vit D for everyone? No.
What's a 'healthy' blood range of 25-hydroxy-vitamin D? Oh God, that's definitely up for debate.
Do B5 and K2 have a role to play?  Oh yes, they sure do.
Is Vit D the cure all, the panacea, the fountain of youth?  Umm....probably not.
However, whatapain, you and I are in close agreement when you say "find the cause".
I just happen to believe that Vitamin D deficiency is a real and measurable cause - and it's really common - and addressing it treats a whole lot of symptoms.
And I mean a whole lot of symptoms.

Phew. Rant over.  Rolleyes
Couldn't help myself Big Grin

Vitamin D deficiency may significantly increase diabetes risk, according to new study.      Friendly, easy read version.

Heavy read: Citation: Vitamin D and Incidence of Prediabetes or Type 2 Diabetes: A Four-Year Follow-Up Community-Based Study

Friendly read: Vitamin D and asthma in children and adults.

Heavy Read: In 2017, a Cochrane meta-analysis (which is the strongest proof in medicine), found vitamin D significantly reduced colds and flu.

Oh goodness, take your Vitamin D already!   Wink