Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vitamin D
I have to take mega doses of Vit D about twice a year. It seems that every 6 months when my Dr does a blood test to check it I am low so I get the three months of 50,000 Units a week.

I am allergic to the sun which for me means that if I am outside with no sunblock on it takes only a few mins of it hitting my skin before I start breaking out. It's weird because I can feel it starting. I just put sunblock on every day as my lotions all contain it and I keep a small regular sunblock in my purse and cars for when needed. I still tan up some.

I had decided awhile ago to just get more sun so I have been going outside (yes, even in this heat) and sitting on the picnic table for a few minutes a couple times each day. I found out though that wearing sunblock negates the ability of absorbing the Vit D from the sun so that was a useless exercise.

I declined my last test and said I'll do it next round because I was in a hurry and didn't want to wait for the Lab person to get into the office and now she is on Maternity leave so I am waiting another 3 months at least till she returns. (easier/cheaper than going to an actual Lab place) I had noticed that my arthritis was getting more nagging so I bought a bottle of 5,000 Units and about 3 weeks ago started taking them (50K spread out over the week) and the past two days I have barely noticed my arthritis.

I know reading about arthritis and general aches Vit D is often mentioned, but of course it is usually when I am okay.

What a difference just taking a supplement can make! I am really pro Vit D now. Lol, I'll probably become a vitamin junkie as I am reading all the others and what they can help. I know, I know they make one a day's, but I buy them and then forget for some reason. No logic in that I know. Confused
The weak fall, but the strong will remain and never go under! - Anne Frank
Vit D is one of the very important ones most people are lacking. I take a 5000 iu cap each and every day with no guarantee I'm getting enough d. It does so many things for you, its important to take. The rda on d is a joke, pay little attention to govt figures.

Another very important one most people are short on is magnesium. Its used in hundreds of enzymes and reactions in the body. As a side benefit, it will make you more regular. In fact its about the best thing to take for that because you never get a tolerance and its something you need anyway.
(08-14-2016, 08:22 PM)Grandote Wrote: Vit D is one of the very important ones most people are lacking. I take a 5000 iu cap each and every day with no guarantee I'm getting enough d. It does so many things for you, its important to take. The rda on d is a joke, pay little attention to govt figures.

Another very important one most people are short on is magnesium. Its used in hundreds of enzymes and reactions in the body. As a side benefit, it will make you more regular. In fact its about the best thing to take for that because you never get a tolerance and its something you need anyway.

Harley, Grandote is right as usual. Vitamin D is VERY important and helps with so many things. I think the reason so many people are low on it is because of using sunscreen. It's also a great Cancer fighter. I believe very strongly in using natural, good vitamins, not the crap you buy in the drugstores. That stuff is pretty much useless tho less expensive. Hey, you get what you pay for, right?
Find a store that sells natural vitamins that are much better for you and more potent than those cheapies in drugstores. To me those are a waste of money. One online vitamin store I use is called Swanson's Vitamins. I've been very happy with them and you can get it in stronger doses. I take one every night. Stop paying "Big Pharma" for the useless vitamins they sell. You might end up paying a little more, but it's well worth it. Remember, Big Pharma doesn't care about our health, only their bottom line. They are the devil and want us sick so they can grab more of your money.

I take it because I don't get out in the sun as much as I use to and NEVER used any kind of sun screens. I don't ever burn, just get very dark but wrinkled from doin' that.

Get yourself a good vitamin D cap and don't risk getting burned and try to stay away from sunscreens as much as you can. That stuff is not good for you.

Oh, also vitamin D in milk? Forget about that. There are soooo many other bad things in milk now that getting it from milk may just cause you many other problems. They'll tell you that milk is good for you, but not anymore. Cows are now full of antibiotics, growth hormones and fed GMO grains and corn. Milk doesn't do a body good now days.

Anything approved by the FDA and put out there by Big Pharma are things I try to steer clear of. They are NOT there to help us. True dat.

Cricket
Very good post, Cricket, you tell it like it is. I get most of my vitamins from Swanson too.

One problem with taking only the rda or even several times the rda every day is that you do not absorb all the vitamin in the capsule. Liquid form is best, dry pills are a weak second. They found that people within the lower ranges of vit d had more disease and health problems in general than those in the middle range and the ones with most d in their blood, had the best health. Don't megadose, I'm not saying that. Too much of anything is bad but you need to take a lot to get a little and better formulations are absorbed better. They may cost more but if they are in a more absorbable form they are worth it.

Another good thing to take is vit k, especially k1 and k2. There are other forms too, k2 is the one harder to get in your diet. It works along with d to make you healthy and both d and k help build strong bones. A much better form of dietary calcium than milk is yogurt, kefir, and other fermented dairy products including cheese. The bad side of cheese is you get a good bit of fat but a little fat is good for you just don't overdo it. Calcium pills are not a good form of calcium in most cases. Again, it comes down to absorbtion and the good news is d and k help with absorbing calcium. Magnesium is super good and deserves its own thread so I shouldn't derail this one any more. But its important.
I take 5000 iu of vitamin D every other day. I find it especially important in the winter since I live in a country not famed for being sunny. My vit D is a softgel and suspended in oil. It is best absorbed when taken with a meal containing fat. The problem with some vitamin pills is they are hard like bullets - not sure how you are supposed to absorb much of that. I used to get a very good multivitamin + mineral from Bioeva that was all food based. On the ingredients you could see the plant based source for virtually all of them. The logic was that the bioavailability would be better. Either way, good to consume with food.

Totally agree Swanson is a good brand for many supplements.
I've never taken a vitamin D supplement because for the past 20+ years I've worked in the sun. Being in the SW US and getting at least 6hrs of sunlight a day, I was more worried about skin cancer than a lack of vitamin D. I always used sunblock (SBF 50+) on my face and then the last few years on my arms. My sunblock free legs absorbed all the sunshine.

Now that I'm retired and spend more time indoors, it's something to look into. I'll certainly bring it up the next time I visit my Dr.

Thanks for the info.
(10-12-2016, 04:13 PM)MoJim Wrote: I've never taken a vitamin D supplement because for the past 20+ years I've worked in the sun. Being in the SW US and getting at least 6hrs of sunlight a day, I was more worried about skin cancer than a lack of vitamin D. I always used sunblock (SBF 50+) on my face and then the last few years on my arms. My sunblock free legs absorbed all the sunshine.

Now that I'm retired and spend more time indoors, it's something to look into. I'll certainly bring it up the next time I visit my Dr.

Thanks for the info.

Taking a vitamin D supplement is a better option to the sun. Since you no longer spend much time outside in the sun, I think taking a supplement is a very good idea. It can't do any harm as far as I know.

Cricket
I really need to "start" taking my vitamins. I'm not sure why I have such a hard time doing so. The fact that I run away from the sun due to the heat in my area doesn't make it any better either.
I"m also a mega dose D taker as well! Apparently my endo told me that i was allergic to vit D and my body doesnt process it well. Never heard of this! But now i'm on the 50K weekly regimen. I certianly get better sleep when my D is regulated, that's for sure but i dont really see the benefits in taking a multivit or any other vit for tht matter unless you have a clinical deficiency. Most recent studies i have browsed from my school's directory seem to trend that over saturation of vitamins can lead to unhealthy side effects.
(10-16-2016, 09:37 PM)Colton4Trmz Wrote: I"m also a mega dose D taker as well! Apparently my endo told me that i was allergic to vit D and my body doesnt process it well. Never heard of this! But now i'm on the 50K weekly regimen. I certianly get better sleep when my D is regulated, that's for sure but i dont really see the benefits in taking a multivit or any other vit for tht matter unless you have a clinical deficiency.  Most recent studies i have browsed from my school's directory seem to trend that over saturation of vitamins can lead to unhealthy side effects.

I agree that taking too many is not helpful and a waste of money. However, if people are buying their vitamins from the pharmacy and grocery store's many brands, you are not getting as much as you think. The best vitamins you can get are ones from places that sell natural, NOT synthetic vitamins. All of those store bought brands are watered down and not as good for you as they would like you to think.

Have you heard of Codex Alimentarius sp? ? The government and WHO are trying to make vitamins in such low doses that they are worthless. They also are trying to make all vitamins by prescription only. They don't want us to be healthy. Big Pharma wouldn't make big money selling us their prescription drugs to combat problems that taking GOOD vitamins can help us avoid.

I take many vitamins because I don't eat right or eat very much. I feel better taking them to replace what I don't get from eating like I should, but don't go overboard either.

Just remember, natural is always better than synthetic man made crap they push on us. Find a good natural vitamin shop online. I use a place called Swanson Vitamins, as do others here. Good stuff. Might cost a little more, but better than wasting your money on useless vitamins.

Cricket