Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paxil Nightmare, anyone else?
Paxil was very expensive and after months I had every side-effect on the leaflet. Quit cold Turkey and awoke from a bad dream. Father is dying as are other family members. To old to run the farm anymore, and not many options for a new career. I was reading about depression and although a pretty happy guy, I had every symptom! Are antidepressants better these days or are there still major side effects? Would appreciate any insight from you all. Best to you, ff (My blood workup showed no Diabetes or Low T) which I suspected, after pancreatitis 2 years ago.
Hi FF.  Good news on your blood work. Although sometimes it is nice to find a concrete reason.

First I took Prozac.  20mg, small dose, worked for me.  No side effects.

Doc switched me to Cymbalta to help with referred pain from neck, that also worked.  Messed with dose a bit as per my doc, had some hot flashes, dropped dose down, working well.

So it's been several years now, actually about 12 or so and still working pretty well.

When I went on ADs, I had decided that for me they would be a forever maintainance med, meaning I would never quit them.  Hear they can be really hard to quit.
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. Tom Petty
Hey guys! I tried Paxil, but it was not really effective until 40 mg, then it was bad. I felt like a zombie and gained 30-40 lbs. easily.

I had already tried wellbutrin - it gave me too much anxiety.

I ended up on effexor which works, but very hard to ever quit. I will probably be on it forever. I accept that.

Fishfarmer, glad your blood work came back good. Smile
(08-08-2016, 12:41 PM)willie33 Wrote: Hey guys! I tried Paxil, but it was not really effective until 40 mg, then it was bad. I felt like a zombie and gained 30-40 lbs. easily.

I had already tried wellbutrin - it gave me too much anxiety.

I ended up on effexor which works, but very hard to ever quit. I will probably be on it forever. I accept that.

Fishfarmer, glad your blood work came back good.  Smile

I know this may be going slightly off topic but I personally know someone who has complete sexual dysfunction, long after stopping the Paxil. He i just permanently impotent as a result of the Paxil. This isn't something I could even bring myself to take.
Hi,

Yes, I had an absolute nightmare on this drug years ago. It totally changed my personality and I'm still ashamed of how I treated people back then. I know other people where it worked very well. But sometimes you have to try a few medicines before you find the right one for you. Talk to your doctor and maybe try another SSRI.

You have all my sympathy - I've been where you are now, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
(08-08-2016, 12:49 AM)fishfarmer Wrote: Paxil was very expensive and after months I had every side-effect on the leaflet. Quit cold Turkey and awoke from a bad dream. Father is dying as are other family members. To old to run the farm anymore, and not many options for a new career. I was reading about depression and although a pretty happy guy, I had every symptom! Are antidepressants better these days or are there still major side effects? Would appreciate any insight from you all. Best to you, ff (My blood workup showed no Diabetes or Low T) which I suspected, after pancreatitis 2 years ago.

Just had a buddy come off Paxil and it was a nightmare for him. All kinds a side effects. He started doing some outpatient work and got him in Zoloft and something else. It he's doing so much better. And another guy whose been finding meditation helpful.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
Nice to know Drewpickup! Thanks for the advice, nice to know that AD's may have gotten better. Not really depressed anymore and the NP who put me on Paxil said one of the side effects was reducing anxiety, which is why I saw her 10 years ago. It does not reduce anxiety, at least not for me. Anyway, Thanks for your response! Best to You! FF
(03-10-2017, 02:08 AM)fishfarmer Wrote: Nice to know Drewpickup! Thanks for the advice, nice to know that AD's may have gotten better. Not really depressed anymore and the NP who put me on Paxil said one of the side effects was reducing anxiety, which is why I saw her 10 years ago. It does not reduce anxiety, at least not for me. Anyway, Thanks for your response! Best to You! FF

I'll ask him what else he was out on. I know it was to reduce his anxiety though.  It yes it's like night and day with him. I'll get back to you.

(03-10-2017, 02:08 AM)fishfarmer Wrote: Nice to know Drewpickup! Thanks for the advice, nice to know that AD's may have gotten better. Not really depressed anymore and the NP who put me on Paxil said one of the side effects was reducing anxiety, which is why I saw her 10 years ago. It does not reduce anxiety, at least not for me. Anyway, Thanks for your response! Best to You! FF

I think it's Buspar or Busporine. Not sure but I'll confirm.

(03-10-2017, 01:52 PM)I Drewpickup Wrote:

I'll ask him what else he was out on. I know it was to reduce his anxiety though.  It yes it's like night and day with him. I'll get back to you.

I think it's Buspar or Busporine. Not sure but I'll confirm.

Risperidone for anger ,Zoloft for anxiety--this was his text reply. But I think Zoloft can be used for depression. Not sure. Hope this helps.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
AD's have been proven to permanently change the way the brain works, as soon as one hour after the first-ever dose. That being said, I am not down on AD's. I am only pointing out what a bad rap that benzo's get by cway of comparison. AD's most certainly have withdrawal symptoms and many bring tolerance issues. I have known a few people who have gone 5 years or more on the same one, but nearly all AD's peter out within 2 years and you have to move over to another one. I am not saying that AD's aren't a phenomenal weapon in the fight against depression, because they certainly are. I am just saying that Big Pharma, and many unknowing docs, make them out to be completely without risk...while trashing benzo's as some kind of poison.
Their is a new ad out called viibryd which is an ssri but without the usual ssri side effects. I would use it but my curse is being unable to sleep and not sure if this expensive drug will help with my biggest problem. I do think it's superior to all the previous ssris.