Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching directly from Alprazolam to Clonazepam.
Hello!!!

I've been planning on switching to Klonopin for a while now. Does anyone know if a person can make an immediate switch from Alprazolam to Clonazepam and not have withdrawals; will the Clonazepam prevent Alprazolam withdrawals?

I think I actually did it once and had no problems. That would have been a while back when I was a teen. So, while I think I did it I want to be positive. If I did make the switch I have no clue how or why I got back on Alprazolam. See these drugs will cause memory loss and....I forgot what else I was going to say... Anyhow I've been through Alprazolam withdrawals and never again, what a living hell that was.  

Thank you in advance to anyone who offers some feedback on this.

Zander.
Thanks ff. I appreciate that very much. I definitely want to make the switch. I only take alprazolam because I'm addicted. I needed them at one time but no longer. I was reading up on Clonazepam and while prescribed mainly for anxiety they are also used for several other things that would help me, insomnia being a big one. I could take 10mg of Alprazolam and not even yawn.  

Oh and Rivotril is what I'm looking at. My vendor happens to carry them at a good price.

Thanks again!!
Hello Zander. I just wanted to tell you that 10 plus years ago, I was taking a lot of xanax. My doctor switched me to Klonopin by tapering my doses of xanax down, over about 2 months. Then I switched over to just the Klonopin. I didn't have any bad effects at that time. I think you will be fine.

I have since switched back to xanax because it works better for me. I no longer take a lot. I now only take xanax at bedtime. I no longer take it during the day & it is working real good for me. I take 1mg now & I am able to sleep.

Best wishes to you. I hope it works out.
This too shall pass. Heart
Thank you Roses. I am going to give Klonopin a try. As far as sleep I have severe insomnia and Alprazolam does nothing for me to help that. People are different, and again I have built a tolerance to Alprazolam not from taking mega doses. I take less than when they were prescribed to me. You can take small amounts of certain meds and build a huge tolerance by taking small doses over long periods of time.

I appreciate it.

Z.
Zander, I switched alpraz to clonazepam without any problem - I sometimes miss the alpraz instant relief but I didn't have any physical symptoms when I switched. Good luck... Smile
"Zander, I switched alpraz to clonazepam without any problem."

Willie, now that's what I wanted to hear. Thank you! As I said I think I did too at one time and have no memory of I got back on alps.

As I said due to tolerance I get no relief or feel anything from alps any longer. I only take them so not to have those horrible WDs. The way I take them I wouldn't feel anything from them regardless. Some may think this strange but I like the taste. I never swallow them. I will put an alp between my cheek and upper gum and let it slowly dissolve. If I'm not drinking any liquids it takes over 2-3 hours for one to dissolve.....Now that's slow release.

Thank you for the info. =)
Hello!  Verdict is in. Yay! Now just for a little more "food for thought" for the next question to the next person who might have other questions...

Self-Analysis and speaking from experience here.  
Been on benzodiazepines for over 15 years. 
Not proud to say it either. Just saying that may have some experience to share.

On that note:

The Benzo-comparison chart is a generalized, conceptualized, marker of data that neither represents plasma metabolites nor full spectrometry. In other words, this chart does not necessarily represent the accurate data for dosing and effect. It is a broad overview of each benzodiazepine. The comparative oral dose is based off their onset action. Which is only based off how quick the onset is for that specific medication. First, by the route of administration and secondly by the onset of it's peak time. 

This differs from type A person to type B person.

From experience, have found that what is one person's tale does not always apply to my story board. 

The last switch that was 4 years ago. A daily dose of alprazolam 2 mg x 3 a day, and lastly to 4x a day.  It came to a point that it was not working! At time, I was prescribed Alprazolam XR and still had issues, due to my metabolism and how quick I would metabolize the medication.  

From a dosage of  8 mg a day of alprazolam, I was switched to 4 mg of clonazepam a day. I did not feel well for about the first two weeks, but that is to be expected. Thus, I was given 1 mg of lorazepam at night time. This was only for the first 12 days. Considering the frequency of administration, the diet and all that other stuff. It was not uncomfortable or unmanaged.

A heads up to anyone. If you are on a quick acting medication benzodiazepine or not, and you decide that you are going to do the switch, you have a few options.

1. You can go directly from a fast acting benzodiazepine such as alprazolam to clonazepam or even diazepam - the effects are mildly different from person to person. However, since clonazepam is more of an anti-convulsant, the effects are safer for you in the long run. Specific to coming off Alprazolam. Ask any pharmacologist! They know. 

Due to its metabolite availability and half-life with clonazepam, one can get a 24 hour coverage. Never could I say that about alprazolam. 

Since you mentioned that your purveyor has Rivotril. You are gravy! All good. No worries. Rivotril (Roche) is hands-down the best on the market. 

2. Now another thing you could do, is to taper off the alprazolam to a comfortable daily dose, which is only advisable if you are on a small enough dose that you know you are able to stay at that specific dose and not go up from it.  Then, switch to something milder like diazepam. Ativan is not as long acting in the half life area as say, clonazepam. But it will fall under a more faster acting medication than say, clonazepam. So, it is incumbent on knowing your body really well.

There are many horror stories out there and I have to say, do not subscribe to other people's opinion of a medication. Try it and see for yourself.  I bet you will find that this will be all gravy, specially if you can start off with the Rivotril. The best of luck to you mate!
Perpetual optimism in your self or any organization is a force multiplier. Wink
Yesterday i saw my Dr. and asked to be switched from Xanax to Clonazepam. I previously had been prescribed 1mg of Xanax, but I have found out that 1mg of Xanax = 2mg of Clonazepam. He prescribed me a small script of ONE mg of clonazepam. I didn't realize it until I got home. So now I'm under-dosed, but will see him again before I start traveling abroad. I guess I will try an IOP with the two mg doses and see how it goes before I touch my prescribed 1mg's. That way I will have a better feel for what I really need. No, I won't tell my Dr. of my IOP purchase, but I will be much better informed and will be able to make a better argument for a 2mg prescription.

As for the instant relief that Xanax has helped so may of us with, I think I will try the clons sublinual. It seems like the best of best worlds, quick relief for panic attacks and a much longer period of anxiety relief for generalized social anxiety. I asked my Dr. for mouth dissolving clons and he said they weren't available in the US.
Good luck Zander, I think you'll be fine.
MoJim
I switched and had no problems.
I was on Xanax and I was also on Clons at one point in my life (not at the same time). Let me fast forward years later. Orthopedic doctor had me on 10mg Valium twice a day as a muscle relaxer. Recently, he has changed it to once a day. Another doctor had me on 20mg's of Lexapro twice a day which was lovely for me. Maybe because I was able to mix the two meds. However, my 20mg Lexapro is now 10mg / once a day. They're tapering us off, but what are their long term goals of treatment to patients with severe depression and anxiety? It's really bad when you actually have medical insurance but have to go out of your way and get  your own prescriptions. No thanks to your doctors. Do they really care about their patients or care about saving themselves??