Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kpins or x
I'm in remission for stage 3 breast cancer and Dr.s do not seem to understand that I often get these horrible panic attacks. They recommend going for walks ect. But sometimes it is difficult to even leave the house. I need something to calm me down everyonce in a while
Both work.  Kpins last longer.  One may be more effective at actually diminishing the anxiety.  Different strokes.....
I agree with Teddy. I've been prescribed Alprazolam for years now, but I have tried Kpins on different occasions. While they do last longer, they just don't work for me the way Alp does. It all just depends on the person. I would also start with a lower dose no matter which one works for you, since you just need something to help calm you down on occasions. I'm sorry to hear your doctors haven't been more supportive of helping you with your anxiety.
Sorry to hear about your situation J. Keds
That is just ridiculous (IMHO), if you are having anxiety issues then they should help you relieve them.
As one who's been suffering from this for most his adult life and misdiagnosed as ADHD as a child, taking a walk just isn't going to cut it.

To answer your question I think I am a good source since I prescribed both medications.
For your situation I would personally suggest Xanax - as it will hit nice and quick and calm you down. I do think that having both, however has the advantages. Klonopin will not take away a panic attack, at least not the way Xanax does. It takes longer to feel the effects, but it also lasts longer.
We also have to keep in mind everyone's body is different.
I have a friend that will take Xanax and Valium, but won't touch Klonopin.

I wish you nothing but the best, and hope to hear back about how everything is going.
God Bless,
Andy
Hey Jen, I would go with the xanax. That's what it does best. I would also suggest the kpins as preventative when you can feel your anxiety ramping up. You don't wanna take either all the time but kpins long half life should help you out some. Everything has it's uses.
(08-02-2016, 06:19 PM)Bishop Wrote: Hey Jen, I would go with the xanax. That's what it does best. I would also suggest the kpins as preventative when you can feel your anxiety ramping up. You don't wanna take either all the time but kpins long half life should help you out some. Everything has it's uses.

This is good advice.  The kpins are good for situations where you feel anxiety ramping up.  The xanx is for those "oh shit, panic attack is here!" moments.  Neither one is usually healthy to take for prolonged periods, especially in large quantities.  Go with the lowest dose that you can.
I personally feel valium is the safest alternative. I have seen far too many innocents become horrifically addicted to xanax. Including doctors that I know.

Can u join a support forum for recovering cancer patients? I began on groups meant to just discuss these concerns.

Notwithstanding an older sister of mine is a medical doctor, I state unequivocally many doctors are plain idiots.

Of course u will have panic attacks. It is post treatment. It is having to deal with possibility of fear. It is what often happens when one has dealt with the C word.

Good luck and May the Lord bless you and keep you totally free from any return of cancer, I pray.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Hi jen well theres not much i can say that hasnt been said already but i cant bbelieve with your condition that your dr wouldn't prescribe you something for your panic attacks. I know exactly how you feel not even wanting to leave the house in hopes of not running into people who you dont wanna see and takings walks as mentioned earlier just isnt going to cut it when you dont even wanna go out in the first place. My g-pa is currently fighting prostate cancer and it was in remission until recently its starting to come back and he's almost 90yrs old so at his age he would be too old to go through chemo and survive. My aunt had breastcancer also and by the grace of God she beat it so i really do wish you the best and hope you can get some help with your anxiety! God bless!
+1 for alp.
(10-17-2016, 03:45 AM)ShortSqueeze Wrote: +1 for alp.

I feel like I should add a caveat - this is only intended for acute (short-term) treatment.  As many of you know, benzos lose their effectiveness rather quickly and then you end up with the cycle of increasing doses, dependence, and withdrawals.  Alp is one of the worst benzos in this regard.  There is a very effective method for tapering down with diazepam, and I recommend doing that if you find yourself on a steady diet of alp.  The safest route is to use a long-acting benzo (like diaz or clonaz) for maintenance, and only take the bare minimum you need.  A very small amount of fast-acting benzo (alp, for example) should be used only for those emergency, sudden-onset panic attacks.

Speaking from personal experience, I can say that as you taper down off the benzos and make other lifestyle changes, the anxiety and panic can diminish somewhat.  Not completely, but in my case, enough to stop taking the medicine entirely unless I feel another flare-up coming on.

Best wishes to you, OP.