Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tired of the way a lot of people dismiss anxiety disorders
Maybe it's different for some members in other states and countries, but where I live I get a lot of people saying "just get over it" and things of that nature. I recently was told by someone that I've know for 5 years that they would no longer "tip toe" around my disorder. I've never told this person that they had to ever do such a thing. They took that upon their self to do that. Then the person told me to "just take a pill and get over myself" among many other things. I know sometimes people who don't deal with anxiety get tired of hearing about it, and I myself get very tired of feeling this way. If I could just get over it then I would have many years ago. I just wish people would understand the struggle we face each day. Sorry to rant about this subject. It just strikes a nerve with me.
i am so sorry, freedom. it does appear that the majority of people are only able to see their own needs and concerns.

they are oblivious to those in pain, in hunger, in angst around them.

i was raised to pick one self up by the bootstraps.

broken bone? just don't use that bone and eventually it will heal.

depressed over something major league? or, constantly feeling sad, on the outside looking in, unable to have all the fun others claim to have? then, its all your fault.

i was told my depression was a chemical imbalance. meh. pretty sure its cuz i deal with rather heavy things alot.

But, sorry to say, freedom, in real life and on forums, if someone just shares something awful, and, is in tears and needing comfort, dollars to donuts the next speaker in real life, or the next poster on a forum will jump on with I GOT MY ORDER TODAY!

In my world, because I suffered a lot of emotional and physical pain, I cannot stand when someone else is also suffering.

How can they turn away? Most people are seemingly concerned with themselves.

At least here, we have a family that will care, freedom. We care that u hurt.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Thank you so much Charon and fishfarmer. I truly appreciate the kind words from you both. It means a lot to me to be part of this forum and this family we have here. It truly helps me so much to come here and talk with everyone. Hope both of you have a pain and stress free Saturday. Much love and respect!
Just know we are a lot trying to deal with anxeity.. I do.. But i found that walking a lot, some indica weed and Mitrazapin ha helped me a lot.. For many years i used alcohol .. Dont ever go Down that Road.. It Will in the end kill u...ull get addicted so fast ull never know What hit u !
If u Can get a doc on ur side and Maybe get some long acting Benzos like vals or rivotril for a time.. Its NOT a solucion but better Than nothing imo.
Take Care .
Freedom, those who haven't had anxiety don't get those of us that do usually. It's the same with depression unless you have had it, you have no freaking clue IME.
I get the same response from people sometimes about medical issues I have. We are here for you, I think it's a great place to vent/ bounce ideas off of etc.
Hopefully today has you feeling better.
Totally get you Freedom, unfortunately I have even heard similar from a "professional", that was standing in for my usual psychologist!!! That really hurt, and actually made me go away thinking am I being a whinge-bag about how I feel?!

It's then that I remember, a few days later after I have mentally beat+worked myself up over someone's off-the-cuff comment about how I feel being my own fault;  that anxiety+depression is actually a very personal thing, something only you can truly understand just how disabilitateing it actually is when you're experiencing it yourself!

Hell, I can't have that much control over my condition,  not if such a stupid comment can make me question my own self, and feel like that for days...

...and the arse had only known me for one small hour of my entire life!

Izzy xx

*Other medical professionals are available!! Wink  
(...and some are a lot more empathic and helpful!!)
Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path...
And leave a trail... of Love, Laughter and Understanding.
I truly appreciate everyone sharing their experiences and advice with me. It helps me a lot to know that I can come to this forum and feel so at home with everyone here. I am very grateful to have yall around to talk to about these issues. Thank you again everyone!
Also I'd like to add, while I've not had my current DR that I've had for years now say the things other people have to me. But on the other hand my DR is not very compassionate to his patients needs. I am a full time college student again after working a dead end job for years. I also take care of my mother who has health issues, so I'm not employed at the moment until I graduate in December. I have to go to a state run clinic, so I can afford the visit and my medication. My DR has always been very short and cold. The last visit he even answered a personal call as I was speaking. No excuse me or sorry I had to take a call, nothing. He is the only DR to see at this clinic, so I'm at his mercy to get the meds I need. Sorry to rant again, I just wish there was more compassion towards this issue. Thanks again to everyone who responded. I appreciate it very much!
(07-26-2016, 06:51 PM)Freedom420 Wrote: Also I'd like to add, while I've not had my current DR that I've had for years now say the things other people have to me. But on the other hand my DR is not very compassionate to his patients needs. I am a full time college student again after working a dead end job for years. I also take care of my mother who has health issues, so I'm not employed at the moment until I graduate in December. I have to go to a state run clinic, so I can afford the visit and my medication. My DR has always been very short and cold. The last visit he even answered a personal call as I was speaking. No excuse me or sorry I had to take a call, nothing. He is the only DR to see at this clinic, so I'm at his mercy to get the meds I need. Sorry to rant again, I just wish there was more compassion towards this issue. Thanks again to everyone who responded. I appreciate it very much!

I understand Freedom. My Dr. during my last visit wrote me my normal minuscule script and then said that I need to stop taking benzo's. He added, sarcastically, that some of his patients just go to Cabo (San Lucas Mexico) for their meds. I'm sure he noticed the look of astonishment on my face. He really thinks I'm that stupid to risk jail time in Mexico or maybe I'm faking my anxiety and am abusing them! Maybe I look too calm in his office, due to the fact I needed a football before entering his zoo....waiting room. I have an appt. next week and I'll see what happens. He really doesn't understand what I've gone through my entire life.
I want to share my experience. The first time I met a family doctor for my anxiety, he said he could not examine me from head to toe.
My physical problems were due to anxiety. It did not take me seriously. I felt that I was bothering him.

A few months later, I became depressed and I went to a psychiatric hospital. When my family doctor saw me after this episode he finally believed me. And he spoke more gently and kindly.