Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tr@mad0l T@pering
Shocked 
I thought it may be a good idea to start a thread for t@pering off of tr@ms. I found some guides on other sites but was unsure if it was ethical to copy and post on here. Anyways, there comes a time for most people where we need to stop for a short time for reasons like: a new job, financial reasons, no refills left on script, or just to stave off the severe wlthdr@wl; so this thread is for hearing your methods for avoiding the most serious of symptoms. Be well everyone.
Currently i am on 2OO Mg daily. The idea i have for t@pering is to reduce by 5O mg every couple of weeks until i'm on 5O mg per day. When i get to that point, i'd reduce to 25 per until stoppage. Ive seen more comprehensive guides elsewhere but this is just my idea. I'm not a medical professional and this isnt a recommendation, it's more of an inquiry to see if anyone else sees a flaw in this routine.

*Do not try this at h0me*
Tramadol acts on a lot of neurotransmitters so I would go slowly. There is no shame in sticking at a reduced dose for quite a long time until settled (better than cutting too fast, and then going back to 200mg).

One observation about tapering, and this is not specific to tramadol, is to do with the percentage reductions.

200 --> 150 (drop of 25%)
150 --> 100 (drop of 33.3%)
100 --> 50 (drop of 50%)
50 --> 25 (drop of 50%)
25 --> 0 (drop of 100% - ok, you'll always get this effect at the jumping off point)

My point is you might find the early stages much easier. Cutting 50% might be harder. That's where you might consider a) taking your time (maybe more than two weeks per stage, especially at the end), and b) if there are any intermediate steps e.g. 100 --> 75. Anyone want to comment on that?

I have limited knowledge of tramadol and the points I'm making are about tapering in the general sense (e.g. diazepam). If someone knows more than me wants to correct any of the above please do! I appreciate that diazepam and tramadol have very different half lives.

Wyatt, good luck!
When tapering off Tramadol I'm fairly confidant that supplementing with L-Tyrosine helps counteract the withdrawal symptoms of the discontinuation of an SNRI (which Tramadol is besides an analgesic).

However my experience is anecdotal but I don't think that there's any harm in trying (maybe check with your GP) unless L-Tyrosine has known interactions with another medication that a person might be on.

At first I was only taking one 500mg tablet of L-Tyrosine a day but didn't feel a noticeable improvement on mood and focus until I started taking two tablets per day, morning and evening after meals.

Best of luck.

Breacher
L-Tyrosine sounds like a good idea for dopamine levels (unless you have a thyroid condition or melanoma).
Great info. Thanks so much! I actually do have a thyroid condition :-o
(06-09-2016, 02:02 PM)Breacher Wrote: When tapering off Tramadol I'm fairly confidant that supplementing with L-Tyrosine helps counteract the withdrawal symptoms of the discontinuation of an SNRI (which Tramadol is besides an analgesic).

However my experience is anecdotal but I don't think that there's any harm in trying (maybe check with your GP) unless L-Tyrosine has known interactions with another medication that a person might be on.

At first I was only taking one 500mg tablet of L-Tyrosine a day but didn't feel a noticeable improvement on mood and focus until I started taking two tablets per day, morning and evening after meals.

Best of luck.

Breacher

Just an update on what I posted previously. I've recently read that when supplementing with L-Tyrosine that it's much more effective when taken on an empty stomach. I've tried this by taking one 500mg tablet first thing in the morning and it didn't upset my stomach at all.
Well, i am on an unintentional t@pering ride here because my vendr got returnd to sendr. Over the course of 3 days i had to half my intake once a day down from 150mg pr day to now 0. Went sleepless last night and panic attks a lot. very restless and agitated severely. Unfortunately i cant take Tyrosine so i'm bumping this in hopes that anyone else has any remedies doing the CT route. Thanks
Best of luck to you Wyatt. Hope the new source can help you quickly.
Do not put off till tomorrow what can be put off till day-after-tomorrow just as well. - Mark Twain
You are not passing sources that are not on our site are you, TBA?
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel