Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Controlled Script Monitor Programs
Here is a question I can't get a clear answer to, and can't keep pushing the issue without drawing attention to myself.

So physicians and pharmacists can log on to state run databases and check how often patients are getting controlled substances. Then they can refuse to continue treating the patient, and refuse to fill the script respectively.

What I can't get clear answers about is do the people with acess to the databases have the ability to make notes about the patient so anyone logved in can see? I'm asuming that HIPPA laws would also apply to these databases? If so, is there a way for the patient to request records of who has looked up the patient, and if there isn't a legit reason for the lookup, what if any course of action does the patient have the right to pursue?

I'm really not clear on this, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.
(06-18-2015, 06:25 AM)Audrey Hepburn Wrote: Here is a question I can't get a clear answer to, and can't keep pushing the issue without drawing attention to myself.

So physicians and pharmacists can log on to state run databases and check how often patients are getting controlled substances. Then they can refuse to continue treating the patient, and refuse to fill the script respectively.

What I can't get clear answers about is do the people with acess to the databases have the ability to make notes about the patient so anyone logved in can see? I'm asuming that HIPPA laws would also apply to these databases? If so, is there a way for the patient to request records of who has looked up the patient, and if there isn't a legit reason for the lookup, what if any course of action does the patient have the right to pursue?

I'm really  not clear on this, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Start here and see if the helps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescripti...ng_program

" To open a shop is easy, to keep it open is an art"
Heart
Tbanks OrangeClay. That was helpful.

However, I think it is really f'ed up tbat this doesn't fall under HIPPA. For my state at least the article made it sound like every patient is trying to scam the system and play the docs. So snce I know some docs socially, they can look me up with no reason (or a wrong reason) and invade my privacy. I won't know or be able to prove it, and tbey aren't breaking any laws. This is just another reason legit people g to IOPs.

Oh I also didn't realize LE has access to the database. I thought tbe docs or pharmacy contacted them if they deemed it necessary. I do not believe there aren't rougue cops that just troll through it and f with people. I seriously am rethinking gettng any scripts in the future that have to be entered in this databasr.
It's actually debatable as to whether this would fall under the protected health information category under HIPAA. The statute itself is not clear. Case law is even less clear and the particular matter have not been adjudicated in a way that affects every state. Without a concerted challenge on a federal level it would be better to err on the side of caution.
Wow this is very interesting and good information to know. Thank you for sharing!
Do mom and pop pharmacies have to use these databases, or is it just the conglomerate pharmacies like cvs, etc?
Seems more "mom and pop" pharmacies are fallin by the wayside. Put out by large companies that buy in so much bulk ... The price they can charge is so much lowerthe "mom and pop" shops cannot compeate ...

To me it seemed they were not "tied in" to the same database the big boys were. A friend of mine was going to multiple Drs. In Houston and used a different "mom and Pop" shop with each Dr. ... Got the same prescription filled at each one ... Maybe 4-6 different Drs. And shops every week! Same 3 scripts!

They never said,"Well this one just got filled ... This morning!" ... But try that with CVS or Walgreens ...

Maybe that's why they're trying to push the little guy out .... More control!!
A true friend, freely advises,
justly assists readily, 
adventures boldly, 
takes all patiently,
defends courageously
and continues a friend unchangeably.

William Penn

In Illinois it is all pharmacys: corporate, mom/pop, hospitals, and medical clinics, any and every.

BTW..A pharmacist at CVS recently told me (on Tuesday) that their new policy is they can not fill anything controlled until day 28. Not positive, but assuming that is a corporate policy?
In Oregon as far as I know, it is mandated and required for any schedule 3 and higher to be noted in the system.

This was 5 years ago, so it may have become stricter.

They scheduled Tramadol for god sakes. Who knows what inane stuff is next.

Meanwhile my Ukrainian penpals are buying codeine at the corner store for migraines, $5 USD a 90 ct bottle.
~A man keeps his memories where his money once was~
Crazy times we live in