Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why, Do People Become Addicted?
Hi Linville. I wonder why the stones have to be a certain size in order to get a lithotripsy? It sure seems like even the smalls ones hurt so much.

Maybe the ultrasound blast is hard on the kidney and not safe to be repeated many times.

Would you have rather had the blast the times you had to pass these stones?

(Sorry IOP, seems as if I am mixing up Chronic Pain and Addiction threads a bit.).
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. Tom Petty
Yes me too sorry about Bering off course maybe but this can be linked to the possibility of becoming addicted.....because I was on hydro for a week with one of mine...and that is sometimes the lead towards needing them to feel normal......you know so I think we are ok on topic.

Anyway FirePlaces the way I understand it it this....
The pain happens when they are moving between the kidney and bladder
After they drop into the bladder they are floaters and not painful at that point unless they are to big to pass out the bladder
If it is too big then they will not pass out of the bladder ....and that is when the blast is used to break them up in the bladder to pass the natural way.

So through the X rays they determine size and weather you are a candidate for the blast.
Because blocking the flow out the bladder of course you relize the danger there...

I had one that was borderline to being a candidate .
But it has been several years for me and now that I'm talking about it I hope it doesn't change that, ha ha

My understanding but it may have changed with advances in technology as always...

-I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Thats interesting Linville, that the pain happens when moving between the kidney and the bladder. I figured it hurt all the way out.

So in regards to addiction, I read several different chronic pain and medical boards. There was one woman who swore she was having withdrawal symptoms after being on a strong narcotic for 10 days, I think.

I wonder if one could actually have WD symptoms after 10 days?
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. Tom Petty
FirePlaces, that is an interesting question you somewhat have posed. Can someone become addicted to a drug after short term use, i.e. 10 days or so? Plus have physical WD's.

Curiosity always killed me, metaphorically, so I did some reading on that. Apparently, but highly unusual one can. According to the so called experts for short term use. It is all about an individual's body chemistry and brain. Someone taking PK's short term can become psychologically addicted within a day or two. Their brain chemistry snaps on and they begin the craving cycle of their next dose. These are the individuals who do normally become addicted vs those that just get pain relief without the psychosomatic side to it and after the pain has diminished they just quit.

WD's from medications after short term use I read begins in the brain then manifesting the symptoms of physical WD's. The body has already become use to a medication taken regularly after a few days so it is possible for the brain of someone who "believes" they will face WD's to actually experience them. So yeah, I guess they can have symptoms.

I read through several articles and I lost the one I wanted to attach here.
The weak fall, but the strong will remain and never go under! - Anne Frank
(08-21-2015, 12:57 PM)FirePlaces Wrote: Thats interesting Linville, that the pain happens when moving between the kidney and the bladder.  I figured it hurt all the way out.  

So in regards to addiction, I read several different chronic pain and medical boards. There was one woman who swore she was having withdrawal symptoms after being on a strong narcotic for 10 days, I think.  

I wonder if one could actually have WD symptoms after 10 days?

FirePlaces not to get into too much detail but....if I had not been watching when the little bugger rolled out of my bladder I would not have known it.

Did not feel any different than any other voiding of urine , normal and did not know that kidney stone rolled out unless I had seen it.
Actually kind of scary thinking whoa that did not look normal ......ha.

But when I saw it I could not believe it.....hmmm I wish I could remember what they told me the size of the stone was.

Remember the urologist had given me a cup strainer to use, and after he said he would go up there and get it if I didn't bring it to him I faithfully used the cup, LOL.

The one doctor checked and told me when I returned to work and he was , funny story here, Indian decent and had trouble pronouncing my last name and I had to try real hard not to last out loud when he was on the phone to the hospital talking well asking about me and the person. On the other end kept saying there is no one by that name with records here and he would say , no no and repeat my name....
He and I were friends though. Through the place where I worked.

For me once I get past the physical part, the mental obsession is the most difficult aspect of addiction. I have to find activities to keep me busy throughout the whole day. I'll work extra hours, go running, go out with ppl, something that won't leave me alone with myself. If I can't find something to occupy myself with and cravings kick in, i'll even google search "nearest aa meeting" and hit a meeting. After a period of time of following that stocked schedule, the mental obsession subsides and I can go back to "normal mode."
Linvile that article is so interesting . But personally i did brake my back before from a car crash . I think i got addicted due
To post traumatic stress .i was already.predisposed to addiction cause it was learned behaviour from forefathers so is it nature or nurture . I think like them rats when i left hospital i was in a very bad place . But nobody knew anything about PTS back then . No i am in a much happier place .
Still addicted to prescription meds

really enjoyed the article
Thanks for the article, and the thread @Linville, and all the interesting responses from all members that chose to post. Smile

In my work with recovering addicts an interesting phenomena emerged.

Whilst these articles are not my own research, they do support what I have found in about 70% of the people I've worked with.

Although these types of 'abuse' are not all inclusive, it is more about perception and how the brain reconditions itself to 'look' for ways to feel normal and normalize the body instinctively.

Just another way of looking at addiction; not looking for an argument. Compassion goes a long way.

Best wishes to everyone.

For your perusal:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/johann-har...isk-factor

https://www.thefix.com/content/trauma-and-addiction9180
Sometimes it is better to be kind than to right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens.

I havent read this thread yet, but I have battled with opiate addiction since my dad got diaagnosed terminally ll on march 5th 2008.  went through about 4 years of opate addiction (HARDCORE HABBIT) and then another 4 years of MMT (Methadone maintnece). I am happy to say that in a few days I'll be 1 MONTH CLEAN off methadone when I did it the hard way and walked off the program at 50mgs and did it cold turkey. It was brutal those first 2 weeks, but I feel a lot better, solowly but surely. I just wanted to put that out there so people don't think I'm ignorant to addiction. Here is a great video that will kind of describe how everything we have been taught about addiction is WRONG! Please feel free to leave your comments ans I'm curious as to what peoples opinions are on this video. I found it to make PERFECT sense, but to each is own. Hope you guys like it.

(08-20-2015, 01:34 PM)FirePlaces Wrote: Hi Linville.  I wonder why the stones have to be a certain size in order to get a lithotripsy?  It sure seems like even the smalls ones hurt so much.  

Maybe the ultrasound blast is hard on the kidney and not safe to be repeated many times.

Would you have rather had the blast the times you had to pass these stones?

(Sorry IOP, seems as if I am mixing up Chronic Pain and Addiction threads a bit.).

Fire I know this is old but I do not think I answered this .

No I was fine with passing the kidney stones naturally once they got into the bladder.

Because there is no pain then.

I don't know if there are any constraints of repeated sound blast for breaking the stones up. I do know it bruises and makes one sore.
But they only seem to want to do AFAIK when it is too large to pass naturally, then causing blockage of voiding and then , well you know.

I can say one thing is that when you get one everything else and I mean EVERYTHING ELSE gets put on the back burner. Ugh.