Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorazepam (Ativan) - Most Effective?
Good evening all,

I have used the Wyeth Ativan 2mg tablets and the Tranquipam 2mg tablets in the past (sparingly), as they are a wonderfully effective sleep aid - But the vendor I always purchased them from is currently having issues with delivery.  With that in mind, what I have access to at the moment is:

- Loram 2.5 mg
- Zorka Pharma Lorazepam 2.5 mg (Ativan) - (Hemofarm)

Does anyone here have experience with both, and a recommendation as to which is the more effective of the two brands?

Thank you,

- b2g
unfortunately i don't have any advice for you, B2G.

i am curious about this comment though:
(04-27-2016, 06:37 PM)teddy1998 Wrote: Ativan is a most underrated benzo in my opinion. People steer clear of them like they do rivotril/kpins. I think they are very effective.

i've not used ativan before (only have experience with alprazolam, kpins, and diazepam), but it had been described to me as the "lighter weight" of the benzodiazepines, as compared to those i've mentioned. B2G's comment about an effective sleep aid, as well as teddy's comment make me wonder though--as sleep tends to be my major issue--the whole body being tired, but brain being wired and thoughts racing thing is really tough!

care to share experience with ativan versus others (if you have experience with others)? i'm curious as to whether or not ativan might be a better fit for me. (i have concerns with becoming reliant on alprazolam...)
Hi annaleighx12,

Teddy's right - Ativan *is* underrated in my opinion.  The benzo equivalency chart shows that 1mg of Lorazepam = 10mg of Valium, so those Wyeth 2mg Ativans really pack a punch, especially as a sleep aid.  It also has a much shorter half-life than Valium (10-20 hours vs. 20-100 hours), so it doesn't build up in your system as rapidly as Valium does, and leaves you much less sluggish in the morning.

Unfortuately, if used regularly, any benzo is going to make you reliant on it - I'm completely addicted to Alprazolam after 11 years of daily (prescribed) usage, but I keep Valium, Clonazepam, Temazepam (and usually Ativan, but I'm out at the moment) around so that I can select the benzo best suited for my needs on any given day, and not become dependent on them as well.

Best,

- b2g
thanks for the input, guys! i don't typically experience the "buzz" when i take xanax (though it is a pretty small dosage), but i definitely get the sluggishness in the morning after the nights that i've taken it.

interesting info for sure. thanks again!
Just had an opportunity to sample a 2.5mg Loram last night (D carries them) - IMHO they are even better than the Wyeths.
There is nothing "lightweight" about Ativan...IMO.
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
B2g,
I have tried both from D. I don't  think you can go wrong with either. I think I prefer the Loram slightly. Very relaxing. 
Body chemistry always gets in the way of recommending one over the other. I think you can order the Loran and ask D. If you can sample the other. Best of luck,  R.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that’s why they call it the present.

Eleanor Roosevelt

You can observe a lot by just watching. Yogi Berra
(05-04-2016, 10:04 PM)Popster Wrote: There is nothing "lightweight" about Ativan...IMO.

That's how it was described to me by a doc several years ago when trying to determine the best fit for me. Ativan was the "lighter weight" of the options--Xanax being the "heavier". Maybe it was the doc's way of dumbing down half-life and speed of effect for me in layperson's terms. Huh
Doc's do do that....dumbing down........that's why we have to be in charge when we put things in our body.

I know a few who prefer them over Xanax......they seem pretty equal to me in effects...just an opinion.
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
(05-04-2016, 10:43 PM)Popster Wrote: Doc's do do that....dumbing down........that's why we have to be in charge when we put things in our body.

i hear you on that, sir! i have one doctor who i see really frequently and have been seeing for about a decade who doesn't talk to me like i'm a total idiot. over the years i've "proved" to him that i'm relatively intelligent about my disease and have the capacity to read and evaluate actual medical/scientific literature, and i'm not just web md-ing everything!  Tongue Big Grin