Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telling people about being in "Recovery"
(11-07-2016, 01:42 PM)Junia Wrote:
(11-07-2016, 06:20 AM)!mysterious503 Wrote: This is one of the hardest parts about recovery. I know my family is ashamed of me. The crazy part is they were my support when I got sober. It's been 4 years since I've been off a very heavy street drug. I couldn't tell you the exact date because it's not something I talk about or celebrate. I've been like "it's been 2 years since I've been off that stuff". Then I get "Yeah, that's good!" Not in a rude way but that's the end of the conversation. I'm very selective about people outside my family that I tell. I really need to make a determination if it's necessary at all to tell someone. It needs to be meaningful. I think I'm ashamed of what I was and I don't want people to know, which is hard because I'm proud of what I accomplished. It's crazy. I dunno.

It hurts my heart to see what you're going through. This is a time when you get to celebrate your strength, courage and determination to have broken free from a disease that had a strong grip on. Kudos my friend! Count each day as a VICTORY! You've earned it. You are not responsible for what others think, only what you think. Hold your head up high, and don't internalize any shame others feel. So many people have a preconceived notion of substance abuse as the dregs of society. It's all a part of the stigma. Surround yourself with others in recovery. A good support group whether it's a 12 step, Celebrate Recovery, Online Recovery Groups, will be there for you. The hardest part is to create those relationships and then picking up that phone when you're triggered. In time, you'll know instinctively who to share with. And, best of all, you will be there to support others as they navigate recovery and are going through what you went through.
You are a Hero! Let that in Heart

That's so nice to hear from someone. It really means a lot. I think an online recovery group would be great. I'm such an introvert I think at this point that would be my best option. Thank you Juniata for such nice compliment!
Hell I've had my experiences with 12 step programs. What can I say, it's a one size fits all program and it's. it for everyone. I've been in and out of rehabs for years. Worked the steps did all the conventions and stuff. But it always felt cultish like I'd been drinking the punch. Truth to me is that is a personal experience. For me, my drug was yes alcohol. Couldn't stop. But then after my first child was born I went to the doctor, someone that was recommended, and he put be on Anabuse and acamprostrate, another anti-craving drug. Now that was five years ago, don't use them anymore but continue with therapy and meditation. Personally I hate the rehab/12 orthodoxy in addiction treatment. Personally I think most people recover when they find their own recovery and much of that is natural recovery. My life has changed now but because of my history doctors won't touch me when I'm in true pain. It's very discouraging. But attitudes around mental health are so poor. Even on the U.K. They're "trying" to readdress policy to better help people. But with the sad star of the NHS good luck. I guess my point is to feel empowered about yourself and needs and not at the mercy of 12 step centered rehabs and programs.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.