Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MoneyGram/Western Union and tor
I searched around and couldn't find this discussed anywhere. Actually I'm not sure we're supposed to discuss this at all, and in that case, mods, please delete and forgive me.

When signing up and using money transfer services like Western Union and Money gram is there any benefit to doing so using tor? They're already going to have your bank account info anyway, so would it matter?

Also, has anyone found a benefit to using their services via a walk up location over the available web based credit card option?

Thanks
I've always used the "walk-up" method... Never had a problem... So I cannot say anything about using the web based method... I just change locations so as the folks I see there don't continue to see me over and over...

The only info they get is my email and of coarse addy, phone, and name, But I figure it could be sending funds for a number of reasons.... Hey gotta make an effort somehow...6 of one kind, 1/2 dozen of another...

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
It doesn't matter Lunar, as far as WU having your bank info. They're as secure as other institutions such as credit card providers in which you pay them online using direct withdrawals from your bank.

I found it to be a huge benefit when I can place an order and pay from my computer as opposed to going to an ATM, then a Western Union agent and filling out those long forms. Once you have an account set up you can pay with just a few clicks on your computer. The fee is the same, and as said, it's a whole lot more convenient.

I know too that with WU you can use a credit card to pay rather than a direct bank withdrawal if you choose. That's nice and the fee is the same. The only thing is that the credit card provider will hit you with a cash advance fee, as you aren't making a charge, but they are sending cash to WU at the time of the transaction. Having said that, it's no biggie. The case advance fee is like 10 bucks or less for a couple hundred dollars.

WU doesn't care if you send money to the same person. They actually make it more convenient for you. You can make a list of recipients, so if it's someone you send money to often, you can just click on the name from that list.
Like Ice, I ONLY do walk in. Why leave an electronic trail when you don't have to? Its all fairly low risk, but I prefer the lowest risk option. (May be easier for me in a city where there are multiple walk in options within a mile or two.)
Thanks everyone.

Zander, when using the online option would it be wise or a waste of time trying to anonymize yourself using tor and/or vpns?
To everyone, why such precautions when it can be done so much easier? Remember, you're only sending money for the purchase of medications for personal use. LE has NO interest in us, none! They are fighting drug lords and cartels in a losing battle. Does anyone really think LE is going to come after someone for ordering a couple of hundred zannies or pain killers? No!

Hell if you're ever received a LL, LE already knows of you and they don't care, or they would do more than slap you on the hand with a letter. We are not worth their time. To stake us out, set up a controlled delivery, take you to court and in an attempt to incarcerate you would be far more money, man power and paperwork.. They wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. It would cost them thousands of dollars for one person, again, not to mention the manpower, which they are far short of, and all paperwork. We are nothing to them.

Ghost, you're leaving a trail, regardless. You have to fill out those long forms and show them your ID which all goes into computers, as does everything now. Honestly, I have absolutely no concern about sending money online, so Lunar I wouldn't waste the time anonymizing yourself.
Never thought of it like that my brother... That and my comp is "k-putt" atm.... All things considered... I do stand to learn from your expertise...

Thanks Z-Man...

Ice
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
Hey Iceman, we learn from each other my friend.

Trust me, unless you have a prior felony conviction against you involving drugs, you have nothing to worry about.

Later Buddy.
Well Mrchuckey,

WU has no problem sending to a vendor I buy from who ships out of India, if that counts for anything. Again, I don't understand the paranoia about leaving a trail, see my previous post for the reasons.

You do leave a trail when paying with cash. You fill out a form telling them basically everything about yourself and you have to show ID. The data on the ID you use verifying it as legitimate is recorded. The information on those forms are later entered into a computer data base. They keep records of all transfers in a data base, online or at an agent.

If you prefer to use cash at an agent, fine. I will continue to use my computer and pay with a few clicks without having to run out to get cash and then to a WU agent.

I'm done here.
(01-15-2016, 08:18 PM)OZander Wrote: To everyone, why such precautions when it can be done so much easier? Remember, you're only sending money for the purchase of medications for personal use. LE has NO interest in us, none! They are fighting drug lords and cartels in a losing battle. Does anyone really think LE is going to come after someone for ordering a couple of hundred zannies or pain killers? No!

Hell if you're ever received a LL, LE already knows of you and they don't care, or they would do more than slap you on the hand with a letter. We are not worth their time. To stake us out, set up a controlled delivery, take you to court and in an attempt to incarcerate you would be far more money, man power and paperwork.. They wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. It would cost them thousands of dollars for one person, again, not to mention the manpower, which they are far short of, and all paperwork. We are nothing to them.

Ghost, you're leaving a trail, regardless. You have to fill out those long forms and show them your ID which all goes into computers, as does everything now. Honestly, I have absolutely no concern about sending money online, so Lunar I wouldn't waste the time anonymizing yourself.

True Zander true.