Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
IN STATES WITH MEDICAL MARIJUANA, PAINKILLER DEATHS DROP BY 25
Thumbs Up 
[Image: medical-marijuana.jpg]
A jar of medical marijuana is displayed at the California Heritage Market in Los Angeles.

America has a major problem with prescription pain medications like Vicodin and OxyContin. Overdose deaths from these pharmaceutical opioids have approximately tripled since 1991, and every day 46 people die of such overdoses in the United States.

However, in the 13 states that passed laws allowing for the use of medical marijuana between 1999 and 2010, 25 percent fewer people die from opioid overdoses annually.

“The difference is quite striking,” said study co-author Colleen Barry, a health policy researcher at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore.

The shift showed up quite quickly and become visible the year after medical marijuana was accepted in each state, she told Newsweek.
Semper Fidelis

[Image: SyAa0qj.png]

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
it's pathetic. ur state is legal. but, its a no go, with ur Pain management doctor?

Makes it ludicrous to even think of using it.

Sorry, fire.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

FirePlaces, sounds like your doc may be a bit disingenuous with the reason he told you for not "allowing" something that is 100% legal in your state. If I was a betting person, I would bet that it is his malpractice insurance making the decision for him.

Most PM clinics and doctors confuse/disgust me -- Having to follow absurd rules to receive a prescription for a needed medication? I know diversion and insurance concerns are what drives this but when people with legit pain issues have to be sent to the medical ghetto of PM to receive treatment it is not 1st world medical treatment, IMO.
This data would appear to make changes in classification and legislation for medical marijuana a no brainer...
This is a shame... But as long as the feds say it is illegal, they can jerk any federal assistance...

On another note... Why is it that whenever we go for a job, we take a UA... Docs work for us yet we still take the test.. Not them...

I believe the UA was started for the ones of us closer to the bottom or the "working class"... Certainly not for Drs.. Congress... Or rich folks in general...

Sorry... It chaps my hide...

Gotta get some "medicine" in me...

Ice
Semper Fidelis

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
Too bad we can't elect a president who promises to go easy on medical pot. That would fix it wouldn't it? Wouldn't it?

25% fewer deaths and yet they want to lock people up for using it. Fire, I'm very sorry your doc is such a bone head. He could simply tell you its forbidden without doing a test and tossing you out the door if it shows up. Have you tried jamaican dogwood yet? There are places you can get a bottle for $10 including shipping.

Its all about money. The crooked pols, (are there any other kind?) take bribes from big pharma, big booze, etc and dance when they pull the strings.
These compelling statistics should rise to the fore each and every time some government agency starts whining about the raging opioid epidemic.

If it gets thrown in their face often enough, they might get the clue that MM represents a plausible path to a solution.

My guess is that they just enjoy the whining.  

Highly unlikely their whining serves any purpose other than to expand their budgets.
I believe it's just like Grandnote said... The pol and big $... As long as they continue to profit from the "big boys" on the block, why let us have anything... It's not in big pharma's best interests...

Maybe they figure we can "grow"it as good as they can, yet we cannot make the pills as they do... More money lockin up folks and giving them NO alternative but to buy from the pharmas... Money... It's not about us... It's the almighty dollar!!

Just sayin..

Ice
Semper Fidelis

USMC
Nemo me impune lacessit
(12-30-2015, 01:10 PM)FirePlaces Wrote: That is really interesting Ice.  

On a similar vein, when I met with my new PM doc a couple weeks ago, he told me that although mj is legal in my state for rec and med use, he would not allow its use by his patients.  I suspected that might be the case.

He was nice about it though. Let me hold off on my first UA until my next visit to make sure there was no mj showing up.

(Yuck, I can't believe I have to take UAs and can't smoke mmj now.  Damn neck!)

Anyway, the doc explained that as mj is illegal at the federal level, it would be foolish of him to ignore that as it could potentially be his practice and his patients at risk.

He did say something about when I chose to take a break from pks (eek? Hoping that was a test), he would recommend I dive deep into mmj.
its coming after it was provin in a few states it works it wont be long ...
 now if we can get a new line of dr.s to get on board  the whole world would get better IMHO  I had to take UA every other month at my pain dr after 4 + years I am getting rid of him and what he rx.s  ruined my life... note I haven't had MJ for 20 + years but they always tested for it wasted my $$$ and my pride
(12-30-2015, 11:36 AM)IceWizard Wrote: [Image: medical-marijuana.jpg]
A jar of medical marijuana is displayed at the California Heritage Market in Los Angeles.

America has a major problem with prescription pain medications like Vicodin and OxyContin. Overdose deaths from these pharmaceutical opioids have approximately tripled since 1991, and every day 46 people die of such overdoses in the United States.

However, in the 13 states that passed laws allowing for the use of medical marijuana between 1999 and 2010, 25 percent fewer people die from opioid overdoses annually.

“The difference is quite striking,” said study co-author Colleen Barry, a health policy researcher at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore.

The shift showed up quite quickly and become visible the year after medical marijuana was accepted in each state, she told Newsweek.

I can tell you many of the patient I've worked up have told me specifically they wish they could have compassionate care instead of pain meds because of the high addiction, constipation, nausea, and the cost! I could go on and on with this but when patients tell me this it frustrates me. I had a MD in one legal state who wont prescribe it because he doesn't believe in it in reality its about the big pharmacy industry and the MDs aka doc's support it...not all but most.