Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IN STATES WITH MEDICAL MARIJUANA, PAINKILLER DEATHS DROP BY 25
Grandote, have not tried the dogwood extract yet.  Kind of dependant on my hydro, having been scripted for over 12 years. Managed to never run out in all that time.  

Meeting for 2nd time with this new PM group and taking my first UA tomorrow.  

I do agree that malpractice insurance drives what many of the doctors do. My primary said as much when she asked me to go PM instead of her continuing to script for me.  Said if she continued to script pks for her patients her malpractice insurance would go up.

She was also concerned about being audited by LE as she is not set up to do UAs.  She said UA's et al are simply recommendations now, but she believes they will soon be regulations.  She is just scared by all the media and reports of docs being arrested.  

I am pretty sure the pm group is gonna script for me tomorrow as the doc implied as much.  But as I have not taken and passed a UA, doing so would be against their written rules.  

Fortunately if I did misunderstand, my primary will cover me (script me) for another month I am pretty sure.  i should probably call her today to give her a heads up this might happen.

I am ok with the no mj rule as the pm practice. I don't like it of course, but understand it.

PM practices are held to federal regulations, not state ones.  If you all get what I mean.
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. Tom Petty
(12-30-2015, 01:10 PM)FirePlaces Wrote: That is really interesting Ice.  

On a similar vein, when I met with my new PM doc a couple weeks ago, he told me that although mj is legal in my state for rec and med use, he would not allow its use by his patients.  I suspected that might be the case.

He was nice about it though. Let me hold off on my first UA until my next visit to make sure there was no mj showing up.

(Yuck, I can't believe I have to take UAs and can't smoke mmj now.  Damn neck!)

Anyway, the doc explained that as mj is illegal at the federal level, it would be foolish of him to ignore that as it could potentially be his practice and his patients at risk.

He did say something about when I chose to take a break from pks (eek? Hoping that was a test), he would recommend I dive deep into mmj.
its coming after it was provin in a few states it works it wont be long ...
 now if we can get a new line of dr.s to get on board  the whole world would get better IMHO  I had to take UA every other month at my pain dr after 4 + years I am getting rid of him and what he rx.s  ruined my life... note I haven't had MJ for 20 + years but they always tested for it wasted my $$$ and my pride
Undecided note I haven't had MJ for 20 + years but they always tested for it wasted my $$$ and my pride.

Airraid, you hit the nail on the head.  What are we,  5 years old? Like a UA would stop us, if that was our intention. 

Rolleyes
Hey airraid, what did the doc script that ruined your life? Was it one of those nerve meds, like Lyrica?
That category of meds scare me, although I know they do help some folks.
Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. There's not some trick involved with it. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals, it communicates and does all these incredible things. Tom Petty
(12-30-2015, 11:36 AM)IceWizard Wrote: [Image: medical-marijuana.jpg]
A jar of medical marijuana is displayed at the California Heritage Market in Los Angeles.

America has a major problem with prescription pain medications like Vicodin and OxyContin. Overdose deaths from these pharmaceutical opioids have approximately tripled since 1991, and every day 46 people die of such overdoses in the United States.

However, in the 13 states that passed laws allowing for the use of medical marijuana between 1999 and 2010, 25 percent fewer people die from opioid overdoses annually.

“The difference is quite striking,” said study co-author Colleen Barry, a health policy researcher at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore.

The shift showed up quite quickly and become visible the year after medical marijuana was accepted in each state, she told Newsweek.

I can tell you many of the patient I've worked up have told me specifically they wish they could have compassionate care instead of pain meds because of the high addiction, constipation, nausea, and the cost! I could go on and on with this but when patients tell me this it frustrates me. I had a MD in one legal state who wont prescribe it because he doesn't believe in it in reality its about the big pharmacy industry and the MDs aka doc's support it...not all but most.
(12-30-2015, 11:36 AM)IceWizard Wrote: [Image: medical-marijuana.jpg]
A jar of medical marijuana is displayed at the California Heritage Market in Los Angeles.

America has a major problem with prescription pain medications like Vicodin and OxyContin. Overdose deaths from these pharmaceutical opioids have approximately tripled since 1991, and every day 46 people die of such overdoses in the United States.

However, in the 13 states that passed laws allowing for the use of medical marijuana between 1999 and 2010, 25 percent fewer people die from opioid overdoses annually.

“The difference is quite striking,” said study co-author Colleen Barry, a health policy researcher at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore.

The shift showed up quite quickly and become visible the year after medical marijuana was accepted in each state, she told Newsweek.
Yep, since the Iraq war heroin use has greatly increased (hmmmm Iraq,Aghan poppies) and now the vets given opiates when they get out...funny the vets here are pushing legalization but the senate put the bill on ice.
That is great to hear I dont mj for any reason but am a strong believer in mj
i only have one vendor and thats D,      moderation can be fatal nothing suceeds like excess , Oscar wilde  Big Grin
(12-30-2015, 01:21 PM)Charon Wrote: it's pathetic.  ur state is legal.  but, its a no go, with ur Pain management doctor?

Makes it ludicrous to even think of using it.

Sorry, fire.

I have to give a big DITTO to this. That is absolute malarkey!

Sorry, had to say it as well...

(06-15-2016, 04:34 PM)Nonoo Wrote: That is great to hear I dont mj for any reason but am a strong believer in mj

Nonoo thank you for being a believer! Why, I love coming here. To here this kind of news.
Perpetual optimism in your self or any organization is a force multiplier. Wink
My PM doc has started to script me 2 months at a time and has encouraged me to schedule my appointments at a satellite office in my town which does not do UAs.  So at least for now I have been able to supplement my PK script with some mmj.  

At least in my state, the concern about driving on mmj has taken a front seat.  My DH mentioned a new PSA campaign on facebook that says one should wait 6 hours after smoking before one drives.  Figure they can bust one under the influence via a blood test.
Just saw on the news yesterday that the supreme court rules that LE needs a warrant to do a blood test at a traffic stop or DUI stop. That is good news.