Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for our UK Friends
I have a question for our friends across the pond in the UK. Are there any sleep tablets like Stilnox/Ambien or any z sleeper that is sold over the counter without a script? If so, would a chemist sell tbem to an obvious American tourist?
(05-14-2015, 09:22 PM)fronnykray Wrote: i know you can get phenegran from anywhere,but not sure how strong they are.thing even flea-bay have them
hope this helps

It's fairly strong (at least for me, I can only take half a tab) but it is a hypnotic antihistamine also used for motion sickness.  I believe you need a script for it.

PS - I don't like it. It makes me very groggy. But that's just me, and I only use it for my allergies.
Hey Audrey, I just saw this thread.

OTC here in UK you will get:
-Nytol (Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride)
-Sominex (Promethazine)
-Kirkland Sleep Aid (Doxylamine Sulphate) - harder to find this one, easier to order online, from the U.S.

That's all I'm aware of (OTC) and if there is another ill be surprised.

Haha...because of the whole UK v US date format, I thought you started this thread last month (5th Dec) but I've just realised you started it 8 months ago (12th May)

DD/MM/YYYY is what I'm used to but I know the U.S do MM/DD/YYYY so my bad.

Anyway I hope my 8 month old response still holds some relevance. :-)

(01-06-2016, 07:11 PM)Insomnia_Sucks Wrote: Hey Audrey, I just saw this thread.

OTC here in UK you will get:
-Nytol (Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride)
-Sominex (Promethazine)
-Kirkland Sleep Aid (Doxylamine Sulphate) - harder to find this one, easier to order online, from the U.S.

That's all I'm aware of (OTC) and if there is another ill be surprised.

Haha...because of the whole UK v US date format, I thought you started this thread last month (5th Dec) but I've just realised you started it 8 months ago (12th May)

DD/MM/YYYY is what I'm used to but I know the U.S do MM/DD/YYYY so my bad.

Anyway I hope my 8 month old response still holds some relevance. :-)
(05-12-2015, 02:55 PM)Audrey Hepburn Wrote: I have a question for our friends across the pond in the UK. Are there any sleep tablets like Stilnox/Ambien or any z sleeper that is sold over the counter without a script? If so, would a chemist sell tbem to an obvious American tourist?

When I was in Italy about 5 years ago, I had a long layover at the Rome airport.  I had been traveling and was exhausted.  Out of my ambien. Went into the pharmacy at the airport, talked to the pharmacists, explaining I had to sleep and I was out of my ambien and was given stilnox.  10 tablets. Not sure if that was the nom or not. I am sure that would never happen in the country I live in.
(05-27-2016, 03:28 AM)Orange rabbit Wrote:
(05-12-2015, 02:55 PM)Audrey Hepburn Wrote: I have a question for our friends across the pond in the UK. Are there any sleep tablets like Stilnox/Ambien or any z sleeper that is sold over the counter without a script? If so, would a chemist sell tbem to an obvious American tourist?

When I was in Italy about 5 years ago, I had a long layover at the Rome airport.  I had been traveling and was exhausted.  Out of my ambien. Went into the pharmacy at the airport, talked to the pharmacists, explaining I had to sleep and I was out of my ambien and was given stilnox.  10 tablets. Not sure if that was the nom or not. I am sure that would never happen in the country I live in.

In the EU there is a move towards pharmacists dispensing some things that formerly needed scripting by a doctor - but that's still very limited. On the face of it I find that surprising, but not impossible. Plus I have seen stories about some pharmacists breaking the law in exchange for an inflated cash purchase. This was in the news in the UK a while back (possibly diazepam, but might have been a painkiller) - I think the BBC investigated it.
Hi Audrey,
I don't think that you can find anything decent to help with sleep OTC in the UK. There are some Online Suppliers from within the UK that have products that help with sleep and as they dispatch from inside the UK there are no problems with customs. Or there will always be a Private Doctor in London that will write you a pirate script even for controlled medication. ££££ Money talks.  

Wishing you all the best 

io
The future belongs to those who believe in their dreams. 
Hi Barq,
Apologies to anyone if this is posted in the wrong place,but I can't respond directly ? Can someone help ?
UK is not the easiest place to be prescribed Medication,certainly Pink Script Controlled Substances. My experience is more word of mouth & GP's & Dispensing Chemists tend to have an agreement organised. It's not straight forward,but as its not illegal money talks. I kind of lost contact with my "GP" & turned to Online Pharmacies for Meds. My issue tends to be the unrealiability on what Brand of Meds will be sent, which I would like to rectify.
Already the Pyschoactive Substance ban has become irrelevant in respect to Non Legal highs that have been banned for no good reason & I am talking about Nootropics. The suppliers have just moved abroad,they weren't selling dangerous substances so it was unnecessary.

Again apologies if this is posted in the wrong place,but I hope it's relevant.

Io
Quote:Hi Barq,
Apologies to anyone if this is posted in the wrong place,but I can't respond directly ? Can someone help ?
UK is not the easiest place to be prescribed Medication,certainly Pink Script Controlled Substances. My experience is more word of mouth & GP's & Dispensing Chemists tend to have an agreement organised. It's not straight forward,but as its not illegal money talks.  I kind of lost contact with my "GP" & turned to Online Pharmacies for Meds. My issue tends to be the unrealiability on what Brand of Meds will be sent, which I would like to rectify. 

Hi Io,

I know what you mean about losing contact with your doctor. One doctor got me on diazepam in the first place, prescribed them for months, I became dependent, we had a plan for tapering, then I had to move for work reasons. The doctor wrote me some extra prescriptions until I got settled in my new area. When I took them to the pharmacy they couldn't issue them because they were more than a month old. I thought a prescription was good for six months, but apparently not if the drug is controlled. I was trying to be responsible by waiting until I needed them. Instead I ended up having to seek alternative sources rather urgently.

Have you tried a private doctor? I'm interested in people's experiences and whether they will script what you ask for, or just treat it as drug seeking behaviour.

Good point about unreliability of medication. An option is to buy more/stockpile so they are the same, but there are obvious risks there...

All the best,
barq
Hi Barq,
I used to see a NHS GP who also saw Private patients referred by his existing patients. Not so much from my end but certainly what he,the reception staff & the Pharmacies that were in on the deal were doing would of had them struck of the Medical Practioners list.   There was a fee every two weeks per item prescribed and then you were paying Private patient prices for the Meds to be dispensed by the Chemist.   So it was a lot of money.  I think the GP retired & after a break. I moved to the world of Online Pharmacies.   I relate to much of what you wrote in your message.  I will respond to your questions shortly in another post.  I hope that you are enjoying your weekend.

Best Wishe

io
Hi there maybe I can help answer because I happen to live in the UK. There is OTC diphenhydramine aka Nytol. I personally asked my chemist, basically someone had stolen my weekly diazepams and the chemist although I've known him all my life well when I rang and explained the situation I was told to go to my doctor and get an "emergency prescription" - I went to the Dr. and he just pretty much laughed at me and I never got an "emergency" script. I couldn't believe it because I've been on my meds stable since I was 17 and I'm 30 now. A doctor in Harley Street would sort something out legit but it would cost £ just for the initial consultation. "Paramol" contains dihydrocodeine 7.5mg and 500mg acetinomiphen - unless you have whatever setup for when you're here or you know someone to put it bluntly you can't walk into any normal UK pharmacy and walk out with any benzo, unfortunately even for us who live here even getting prescribed Diazepam (Alprazolam is out I'd say because in general our Doctors neglect it) let alone Clonaz, Nitraz etc. As for barbs, even better luck would be needed!.., since 1971 it's almost impossible to get any barbiturate; most people have "heard of" Meprobamate but that's as close to a barb we could obtain - basically they were prescribing them like sweets; most people went onto some type of benzo - it goes in this order usually -- Temazepam at first, then the patient will find their short-acting effect and be moved onto Diazepam and then if they have sleep/anxiety problems _still_, it'd be an odd few 5mg Nitrazepam given. Hope that helps!..

(06-10-2016, 12:45 PM)barq- Wrote:
Quote:Hi Barq,
UK is not the easiest place to be prescribed Medication,certainly Pink Script Controlled Substances. My experience is more word of mouth & GP's & Dispensing Chemists tend to have an agreement organised. It's not straight forward,but as its not illegal money talks.  I kind of lost contact with my "GP" & turned to Online Pharmacies for Meds. My issue tends to be the unrealiability on what Brand of Meds will be sent, which I would like to rectify. 

Hi Io,

I know what you mean about losing contact with your doctor. One doctor got me on diazepam in the first place, prescribed them for months, I became dependent, we had a plan for tapering, then I had to move for work reasons. The doctor wrote me some extra prescriptions until I got settled in my new area. When I took them to the pharmacy they couldn't issue them because they were more than a month old. I thought a prescription was good for six months, but apparently not if the drug is controlled. I was trying to be responsible by waiting until I needed them. Instead I ended up having to seek alternative sources rather urgently.

Have you tried a private doctor? I'm interested in people's experiences and whether they will script what you ask for, or just treat it as drug seeking behaviour.

Good point about unreliability of medication. An option is to buy more/stockpile so they are the same, but there are obvious risks there...

All the best,
barq

--
also yeah some keyworker and a relative of mine, well basically she threatened my relatives methadone maintenance - all he is asking for [gp said he'd phone back 5 _weeks ago] is his regular 25mg/day Diazepam script, because he was offered 50mg of the opiate but turned it down because he was promised his old script back... the whole reason they stopped it was because he had to do an alcohol detox the post-detox "treatment" isn't looking good - do the NHS want another seizure?! I think not, lol. Basically the rehab they wanted him to attend was _8 hours_ a day!!....
Irrespective I hope I've cleared that up for you! Wink
-s