Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avoid windows 10
(04-24-2016, 06:54 AM)IceCreamMan Wrote: I have heard a lot of
bad things about Windows 10.  I am afraid to upgrade until they work out their problems.  I am not sure about the system yet.

Moving to any new operating system will always involve a bit of trauma.

Personally, I saw little to no reason to migrate to Windows 10 from Windows 7, which I was more than content with.

Now that our household computers have been upgraded to the latest OS I can comfortably say that its the best so far.

If you plan your upgrade and provide for any contingencies with backups my bet is that you'll be happier and much more secure over the long haul.
Windows 10 free version is the only version that does not have the ability to turn of the telemetry.
Now there are several good software packages out there that can block the communication,
The information is out there now to show you how to set up your router to block many of the ports, and to filter your packets.
I have to admit its a rough one to get under control.
try grc.com the old shields up website. There is still a scanner. computers will block scans . make sure you dont have ny open ports... if you have any port open there is a trojan or vrill tha is already in place that can exploit your system
I also use classic start menu to get rid of that nasty windows 10 look. It makes moving around in X much easier.

Remember telemetry in Windows X will restore with every reboot and update.... so you have to have a startup file to shut it down.

For sure get rid of that online drive storage..

Avira is the best software I have found to run on the X for Virus and malware
if you want to disable geo location, you have to enable it in crotchocha search. that crappy search thing at the bottom.

Anyway search secure windows 10
block windows 10 telemetry
multiple pages.. use carefully, you can shut some things down. and other services stop. Look for a reputable forum
I use windows 10 for everyday internet use ect. when i want to do something i consider private i use Tails-os  on a usb stick. But I 10 is just about like all  others . Its windows ....nothing to write home to mom about
Reading this, I wonder if ordering on Safari is safe
I can't help but chime in. I work with a lot of computers and outside of security concerns Windows 10 is quite solid. I've stopped cautioning people about updating to a new O/S (Windows 10). I see very few Win 10 specific issues.

I don't mean to downplay security concerns, I'm just talking about the O/S in general.

There are several really good resources online to shutdown uploading user activity. In the end, for the most part they are after your online activity to make ads and promotions more targeted. It's bad enough, and certainly the info can be used for evil and/or shared with people (on request) who don't have your best interests in mind.

For a normal user, some of the user activity enhances some of the functions, One Drive for one example, but there are others. I could go on, but Microsoft is following Apple's lead and integrating a users web presence with the local desktop so there's a lot of integration of your personal data across applications and devices. For good or bad.

In the end, some of your activity that might be relevant here shouldn't be conducted on your everyday workstation. There are some good suggestions in this thread, at least one of which (t's) I find clumsy but you can find what works for you.
Whichblair, the concerns are not how slick it is or how often it crashes. Its the fact it spies on you, sends in reports, and allows adware. People on this site are concerned about security since they order and use scheduled substances and would like to keep a low profile. The last thing we want is our OS phoning home every time we do anything. Its like having a tattletale snitch built into your computer. The government spies on us way too much already and microslop works hand in hand with them.

My next computer will have a partitioned hard drive with linux on one side for browsing, email, etc and windoz on the other side for games and programs that don't work well on linux or which require a lot of tweaking. The linux side will be the only side with a browser or allowed to access the internet. The windoz side will be like a sandbox where evil bill gates can't do his dirty work.

Too many people take no precautions and simply hope they are too small a target for the govt to go after. They are the low hanging fruit and many of them will be picked when the time is right. Try not to be low hanging, make yourself just a little bit harder to get and they will pass you by to take the big fool who does everything on the clearnet. Use tor, use pgp and avoid windows 10!
Windows 10 is just terrible. I updated on all 3 of my PCs when it was first out, I have now since lost numerous files (my own fault) backing up and factory resetting my computers back to Windows 7. I also run Ubuntu 14.04 on my laptop but that's for personal stuff.

anyway, steer clear!
(07-24-2016, 03:46 PM)Grandote Wrote: Whichblair, the concerns are not how slick it is or how often it crashes. Its the fact it spies on you, sends in reports, and allows adware. People on this site are concerned about security since they order and use scheduled substances and would like to keep a low profile. The last thing we want is our OS phoning home every time we do anything. Its like having a tattletale snitch built into your computer. The government spies on us way too much already and microslop works hand in hand with them.

I was making a distinction between performance and security. I agree about the issues in Windows 10 from a security perspective. And there are ways to make it safer, but probably not enough to use it for these purposes. I probably wasn't clear enough about that. 

I was talking about the O/S in general, and for the most part not addressing security concerns. Mainly responding to some usability comments further up. 

Can't agree more about the loss of privacy...computers, phones wherever.
I don't know if this has been listed, but I use Windows 7 and 8 on two different machines, mainly 7.  I had an ongoing struggle to stop Win 10 from installing, tried to sneak it on in several ways all the time.  "Go ahead, go to sleep, we'lll install Win 10 for you."  Like "Invasion of the Version Snatchers"

There have been several updates listed that can cause this.  The most common and the one that has worked for me was: kb:2952664

You have to get to the "control panel", find "view updates" and click on something that allows you to see "view installed updates".

I''m being general because the wording might be different from versiion to version, but the process is the same.

Find /kb:2952664, and remove, uninstall it.

Go to the area that allows you how to get your updates, and uncheck the "auto install" and check something that allows you to see updates before they install, so you can refuse it.  If possible choose something that disallows it altogether.  I don't think it's categorized as an "important" update for example, so you might prevent it's reinstall by choosing only to do those.  But, not knowing, just have them let you look at updates before they install. 

For most this solves the issue.  I haven't been bugged once since I made this adjustment.  I read there are other "kb"s that can try and sneak it on, so it this doesn't work, just google, "get rid of KB that updates to Win 10" and you'll find other info.  But this did the trick for me. 

Oh, and don't forget to restart your machine once you've removed it.  

Good luck, Spank

10 stinks.
I highly suggest these 2 very simple applications for those running Windows 7 to stop the Windows 10 constant update and notifications.
These applications will automatically stop all the annoyances, updates, and make sure they don't come back.
What's great is you can always just open these applications again and undo anything if you choose you want Windows 10, nothing is permanent, or hurts the PC.

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
"Easily Control Automatic and Unwanted Windows 7 & 8.1 Upgrading to Windows 10"

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
"This is a free tool that can remove and disable the 'Get Windows 10' notification area icon on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Recent versions can also disable 'Upgrade to Windows 10' behavior in the Windows Update control panel and do much more."