Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Tips for Insomnia
(02-06-2018, 09:15 PM)blandy Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 02:53 AM)Audrey Hepburn Wrote: Ok so the insomnia tips seems to be a dud.  How about if you guys help me out with what you do in the middle of the night when you can't sleep.  TV is a God send, but can only do so much, same with reading.

Not sure if you're aware but we sleep in cycles of 20mins

Umm... Unless I need to really learn, I think this statement is completely incorrect as you would never get to any of the last stages of sleep where the actual REM sleep occurs and you would be doing more harm to your body than good.  I could be wrong, just stating what I think.

I think a writer for like Rolling Stone or Maxim or something did that sleep for 15 minutes every 4 hours thing for a few weeks to see if there was any truth.  I don't know where the article is, but I'll try to find it.  Gist is he felt like doggie poo and said "no way would he ever do it again."
Masterthief, you are correct.

That 15 minute of sleep thing was total garbage and did much more harm than good to people.

Anyone with real insomnia is at a total loss to explain why people would put themselves through such hell on purpose.
Bump. Unfortunately this thread is relevant again. We have alot of new members with insomnia.
I may have mentioned before but write everything down thats on your mind.

Random examples:
-Pay of credit card statement by 15/05
-Buy birthday card for name
-Iron shirt for Monday
-Call plumber 09:00 tomorrow
-Book Dr appointment for ASAP for ailment
-Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Put everything on your mind on paper or store it electronically.
You cant sort everything at once and you cant sort anything at 02:00 when you’re up at 06:00, but you can brain dump your worries and the paper / MS word doc / phone notepad can deal with them while you count sheep.

Night all
I take a mixture of valerian root and melatonin, usually works pretty good.. maybe have it with some caffeine free tea. ??
"If you are at peace, you are living in the present" 
I have tried valerian root but it didn`t work for my sleep.
Over the counter meds diphenhydramine HCI capsules(unisom sleepgels) or doxylamine succinate.
prescription- nitrazepam, zopiclone , ambien to be honest most benzos will do the job. But you won`t feel very sleepy the next day if you use the ones with a short half life.
But all of the above meds will just put you in a worse place than before, after using for more than a few weeks at a time. like i am now
Maybe try some green not sativa but indica, although be careful cause it still aint yet legal in alot of countries and states
Other prescription meds Mirtazipine(anti depressant) , zyprexa and seroquel ( both ant psycotics ) not recommended for long term use.
Actually nortriptaline or amytriptaline old school anti depressant i would recommend trying they kind of make you sleepy plus they interact well with opiates and stuff
sorry about the spelling
Hi Peacemaker!
I agree with you. All the things mentioned will help with insomnia. You are correct about using them short term. The problem comes in when insomnia lasts for years...and isn't related to any underlying medical reasons.
I think everyone should try and know what works to help tbem get some sleep. But I have first hand experience that is dangerous and not a good idea to "just ride it out" and think eventually you'll just drop and sleep. People will argue with me, but I went 5 days with no more than 2 hours of sleep per day. I didn't drop, and like I said, it's dangerous.
Imo, it's important to forget about the stigma/judgement that is put on you, and use whatever medication can safely make you sleep.
Maybe try cycling with a couple of things every few days so tolerance and reliance don't build.
And also not trying anything new or mixing meds without having some sort of medical oversight.
I have tried 3 melantonins and nyquil z or benedryl if that is all I have. I start a fan running to get some background noise and put my phone on do not disturb. As long as I can fall asleep quick I can stay asleep. If anything wakes me up I am screwed. I wish you could still get the 714, but everyone abused them. thanks Bill. If you did not abuse those thing they worked great. Good luck

(05-06-2018, 12:19 AM)iNsom Wrote: I may have mentioned before but write everything down thats on your mind.

Random examples:
-Pay of credit card statement by 15/05
-Buy birthday card for name
-Iron shirt for Monday
-Call plumber 09:00 tomorrow
-Book Dr appointment for ASAP for ailment
-Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Put everything on your mind on paper or store it electronically.
You cant sort everything at once and you cant sort anything at 02:00 when you’re up at 06:00, but you can brain dump your worries and the paper / MS word doc / phone notepad can deal with them while you count sheep.

Night all

That is some great suggestions. I keep a pad by my bed. My mind will race all night unless I can get control of it.
Magnesium Threonate(sp?)
Works good for me three caps hour before bedtime sleep like a baby.
Magnesium, melatonin, and mirtazapine knocks me out, mostly the mirtazapine (wow this med is sedating). Melatonin makes me sleepy but doesn't always do the job. I take the magnesium to avoid the 3-4 early morning rise. Keeping notepad on your nightstand is also a good idea for those with racing thoughts.