Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Tips for Insomnia
Thanks for all the great tips in this thread. I am currently about 3 and 1/2 weeks into kicking a 4 year, 50mg a day Methadone habbit COLD TURKEY. I can honstly say I can deal with every bad side effect from detoxing besides the RLS or INSOMNIA! Ive tried so many different things, but some of the stuff in this thread I will be trying and once again this community has helped me woth tips for improving my general quality of life. I love IOPList and hope that we can keep this community online for a long time. I dont have any real tips to contribute that havent been discussed but thank you all for the great posts.
Benadryl and melatonin always work.
Z quil is ok but gives me a bit of a hangover.
(05-05-2015, 10:44 PM)Audrey Hepburn Wrote: Does anyone have any holistic tips for dealing with insomnia?
I've been reading about 5HTP and wonder if it is worth trying?

Has anyone brought up controlled breathing and meditation, it works wonders for me. All the best to you in all sincerity Audrey Hepburn, insomnia is no fun, but like I said meditation helped me. 

EasyDoesit

(10-26-2015, 10:47 PM)Kon1erPMSQUAD Wrote: Thanks for all the great tips in this thread. I am currently about 3 and 1/2 weeks into kicking a 4 year, 50mg a day Methadone habbit COLD TURKEY. I can honstly say I can deal with every bad side effect from detoxing besides the RLS or INSOMNIA! Ive tried so many different things, but some of the stuff in this thread I will be trying and once again this community has helped me woth tips for improving my general quality of life. I love IOPList and hope that we can keep this community online for a long time. I dont have any real tips to contribute that havent been discussed but thank you all for the great posts.

Kon1

You are a strong person. To kick it cold turkey shows true strength. I wish you the best from the bottom of mu heart. You are very inspiring. True control

EasyDoesit
                          ~Life is ten percent what happens to you and ninety percent how you respond to it~
Try magnolia bark or magnolia extract for insomnia. Its also very good for health, contains magnolol and honokiol which are anti cancer, anti anxiety and even helps with constipation and bad breath. I'm not making it up, check it on duckduckgo and see for yourself. Its an ancient chinese and indian medicine. You can order it almost anywhere.
Magnolia bark is very good, but come with a LONG list of contraindications, so please be careful when using it.

Alcohol interacts with MAGNOLIA

Alcohol can cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Magnolia bark might also cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Taking large amounts of magnolia bark along with alcohol might cause too much sleepiness.

Sedative medications (Barbiturates) interacts with MAGNOLIA

Magnolia bark might cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Medications that cause sleepiness are called sedatives. Taking magnolia bark along with sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness.

Some sedative medications include amobarbital (Amytal), butabarbital (Butisol), mephobarbital (Mebaral), pentobarbital (Nembutal), phenobarbital (Luminal), secobarbital (Seconal), and others.

Sedative medications (Benzodiazepines) interacts with MAGNOLIA

Do not take magnolia bark if you are taking sedative medications.

Some of these sedative medications include clonazepam (Klonopin), diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), phenobarbital (Donnatal), zolpidem (Ambien) and others.
 Sedative medications (CNS depressants) interacts with MAGNOLIA
Sometimes it is better to be kind than to right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens.

I think all sedative drugs and herbs will interact with each other. That is common sense, you dont drink heavily when taking benzos or sleeping pills. Otoh, if what you are taking just isn't quite doing the job, adding some magnolia might strengthen it without having to use more of the expensive stuff.

All things have interactions, or most do so do a little check on duckduckgo just to be safe when using something for the first time along with something else.

I have found another thing to help with sleeping. I want to check it out a little longer before recommending it. Magnolia I've use for years and no prob, I never heard of a problem with it but dont take the whole bottle at once. Wink I also have a treatment for sinus allergy that seems to be working. More on that later.
Might sound weird, but I've found that gently heated coconut milk with a drop of honey, turmeric and nutmeg helps me to relax.
Sometimes it is better to be kind than to right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens.

I've been using a big spoon of glycine, about 5gm at night which helps. A new thing I'm using is prazosin aka minipress. Its a bp med, I take about 0.5 mg at night and it seems to help. It makes the other stuff work better. Its not a knock out on its own but since I started using it a couple weeks ago I have not had a bad night since. And its cheap, I cut up a 2.5mg tab.
I didn't read the entire thread so I'm likely repeating whats been said but: 1. exercise and 2. a consistent sleep pattern are the 2 ways I myself use to prevent lack of

sleep. (assuming we're not including medications because they sometimes have a rebound effect and make things worse.........)
honey, melatonin/valerian root/or theanine are all decent items you can take to help insomnia. Behavioral changes can also help. Try to avoid tv/phone/computer screens before going to sleep.

change your patterns up so that you are only going to bed when you want to fall asleep soon, and if you cannot go to sleep within 30 mins, get up and read a book on the couch or other activity that doesn't involve a bright light/screen.

Hope you insomnia improves, it can be a big precursor to a lot of problems in the body. Stay well!