Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Tips for Insomnia
Does anyone have any holistic tips for dealing with insomnia?
I've been reading about 5HTP and wonder if it is worth trying?
Ok so the insomnia tips seems to be a dud.  How about if you guys help me out with what you do in the middle of the night when you can't sleep.  TV is a God send, but can only do so much, same with reading.
I don't know if you've tried it but for me Melatonin does the trick every single time. Like most supplements it depends on the person. But for me I take #2 of the 5mg tabs and it works every time for me. I don't know why but it does, usually supplements don't do anything noticeable for me but Melatonin always works.
just my $0.02
(05-08-2015, 05:04 AM)phasedance Wrote: I don't know if you've tried it but for me Melatonin does the trick every single time. Like most supplements it depends on the person. But for me I take #2 of the 5mg tabs and it works every time for me. I don't know why but it does, usually supplements don't do anything noticeable for me but Melatonin always works.

I like a supplement called Formula*303, you can find it on e*bay & a*mazon, works well for me and no morning side effects like croginess.

" To open a shop is easy, to keep it open is an art"
Heart
well, me grandma drank herself to sleep. probably not a good idea. but she made it to her 80's in age. not so bad. (hey, that side of me family made beer et al during prohibition.)

i take one or two benadryl. hopefully with my valium i must take.

then, i listen to partners car shows.

after i finish hitting my head against the wall, i usually fall asleep.

with autoimmunes, one can take a simple herbal medicine, and it has the reverse effect. i could be bouncing off walls.

we shall get real advice. i am just kinda playing cuz i am avoiding the second day in a row of major spring cleaning. (save me...)

carry on.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
Ramelteon http://www.sleepdex.org/ramelteon.htm without the groggy feeling, just a suggestion for onset insominia. It is Rx and not controlled.

" To open a shop is easy, to keep it open is an art"
Heart
There is no product, OTC or prescription that can keep an insomniac out longer than 2 hours... Lord knows, I've tried. There are things that will knock you out, but not keep you out. I've just learned to live with it. Honestly, I average 2 1/2 hours sleep a day... On the flip side, I have 21 1/2 hours a day to do what most have to do in 16 hours. =) Avoid long term use of OTCs such as Unisom, they will kill your kidneys. Also Unison is nothing more than Benadryl. A regular strength Unison has the exact same amount of the exact same active ingredient as in Benadryl, Diphenhydramine 25mg. Benadryl is an anti-allergy medication which used to be prescription. They found one of the side effects was extreme drowsiness. Once Benadryl became an OTC, Johnson & Johnson just put a different name on it, Unisom, and starting selling it for about 4 times the price of Benadryl. If you buy Unison, you'd be saving a lot of $$$ just buying the store brand generic Benadryl.
hi durango. and zander is so smart. is there anything he does not know?

love seeing ur sweet doggie's face again durango.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel
Thanks for the link Durango. It was very interesting reading. Unfortunately I am a very lazy insomniac so making my own tea is out. Tongue And it sounds a bit scary to me.

It just pisses me off that a normal bodily function can be so messed up for so many people. I've done the benedryl route for a long time but never thought about what it does to the kidneys.

Yelloweyes, my experience with trazadone was a nightmare, but like you said, everyone is different. It's at least worth a shot to see how it works for you.

I don't know if it is a good or bad thing that I can function as well as I do with little sleep, but you are right that the worst are 3-5 days in a row.
For me trazadone knocked me into the worst depression I have ever had. I refused to take it after 3 days and my sleep doc dropped me. She said if I wasn't going to do it "her way" there wasn't anything she could do for me. The 3 days felt like hell to me. I was completly zombied out, didn't feel like I could function, and didn't sleep at all. Lol--sorry Yelloeyes. I'm sure I'm making this sound like somethig you want to run out and try.
But for some people it really helps them. If you have never tried it I still say it's worth a shot.