Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share you tips for getting out of bed with depression
Hey everyone,

I am talking about when it gets so bad that you are making deals with yourself to be able to get out of bed. There is little talk about this kind of depression (diurnal). You usually feel somewhat better by the middle of the day and nearly normal by night time. There are many well known researchers who believe there's a physiological cause behind this. I am not quite certain that it has to be all that complicated. I think that all depression certainly contains an element of anxiety. When a person first wakes up to begin their day, they are at their most vulnerable emotionally. They have the entire day ahead of them. It was relatively peaceful laying there in bed. It's almost rational to want to spend the entire day there. But for some people it goes beyond that. Over my years of counseling I have heard hundreds of different techniques used by people who simply cannot get out of bed. I had a male client in his twenties who would set up alarm clocks in 3 different rooms. The first alarm went off 1 hour before he really had to be awake. He would shut that alarm off and walk to room number 2, where the alarm was set to go off 30 minutes later. When that alarm rang, he shut that and moved to room number 3. The alarm in room number 3 was set for the time he actually had to wake up. His theory was that just the walk from one room to another would make it easier for him to get up after alarm number 3 rang. I've had others who have tried bolstering themselves with drug or drink about an hour before it was time to wake up. That would often backfire and leave them more tired than they were, and they would simply give in to the feeling and go back to sleep. In the course of hearing these countless techniques, I still have never heard one that was foolproof. Does anyone here have a favorite way to go about this? I would be interested to hear what anyone has to say, as I still suffer with this issue. Even though I have heard hundreds of supposed solutions to it, nothing has worked for me except pure will power. There has to be an easier way. What do you all think?
It's been harder for me lately, because I've been taking trazodone to sleep and it makes me very groggy in the morning. I know this isn't the same issue as depression, but maybe it would help? I keep water or selzer by my bed and chug a glass full when my alarm goes off. Then I hit snooze and snuggle back in for ten minutes--by the next alarm I'm usually feeling more ready to go. (Yes, the dog helps too.)
(11-14-2017, 01:23 PM)FirePlaces Wrote: Morning RF,

I do take an A/D Cymbalta.  Am I depressed, not sure.  Take it to minimize referred pain.  Maybe a bit for depression caused by chronic pain and all the restrictions it brings.

Anyway I have 2 answers.  

1)  I get up usually as soon as I wake up.  Usually because I am looking forward to taking my PK.   I take my last one the day before around 2PM so I can have a few drinks (wine) at night.  So by the am, I am usually ready for one.  Also if I didn't sleep in just the right position my neck usually hurts too much to stay in bed.  

Sometimes I have to wake up to help with breakfasts and lunches for DD and DH.  A phase that no longer applies to you I am pretty sure.

2)   I think this is why other may choose to get a dog (cat too?).  One must get up to take the dog outside, feed it etc....

Of course many others still have to get up for work.

Diurnal - another cool word.

I think that you really nailed it, Fire. I am always most inspired in the hour or two leading up to my dose of PK. Unfortunately for me, my one daily dose is had about half way through my day. I have to work it around many other meds that I am on. I have often thought to myself, if things got to the point where I just couldn't get out of bed, I would have to find a way to move up that dose of PK. It's like inspiration in a bottle. In fact, in the hour or two leading up to my dose, I am able to pay bills and do other unpleasant things that I usually can't do. Any wonder that they say 51% of PK scripted actually goes toward treating depression? Anyhow, I also have the animal situation in place and that makes it imperative that I do indeed get up. I even have moved their eating times up to coincide with the time that I should be getting up. I would crawl through broken glass to make sure that they are happy and healthy, so that does go along way in getting me upright. Thanks for your great suggestions, as always. Have a great day. RF

(11-14-2017, 06:06 PM)MrFussbudget Wrote: It's been harder for me lately, because I've been taking trazodone to sleep and it makes me very groggy in the morning.  I know this isn't the same issue as depression, but maybe it would help? I keep water or selzer by my bed and chug a glass full when my alarm goes off.  Then I hit snooze and snuggle back in for ten minutes--by the next alarm I'm usually feeling more ready to go. (Yes, the dog helps too.)

Hey MrFussbudget,
In think that in some, the brain may sense tiredness as depression. In my own experience, I feel much more depressed when I am tired. That is why it is tricky using ALP for me. It works wonders on my anxiety, but leaves me battling that desperate-need-to-sleep feeling. I used to wonder why I always felt so depressed about 3 or 4 hours after a dose, only to finally realize that it was the tiredness that was posing as depression. When it passed, I returned to being reasonably happy. If you can be groggy and still feel relatively happy, I think that is great. And feeling ready to go after just a 10 minute snooze alarm session, is also great. Hearing that kind of thing is inspirational to me. Thanks a lot.

(11-15-2017, 12:40 AM)fishfarmer Wrote: All Good advice! I hate getting out of bed as I keep the house very cool, like 50 degree's. I think most of us follow the Diurnal pattern. Mine is near lunch, when I hit my stride after all the morning chores, and like you said by the end of the day feel great. I think that is normal for most people? For those of us employed, my inspiration too get up is to keep my job! If I just had an 8 hour day it would be easy. FF

Hey there, FF
It could be just a coincidence, but the majority of client's at our practice wanted to be seen in the afternoon. I could feel their pain, as I also hated being there in the morning. I used to open the office while it was still dark out. I agree that the cold temps in the house only add to the difficulty. It just makes staying under the blankets, in a comfortable bed, even more attractive. It's really hard to beat something that your own mind says is rational. Have a great day!
i have phases in the day specially when working where my worst anxiety comes out during afternoon,not sure is it too much coffee nicotine or just combo of stress work all together.

Now i have been really bad for mornings for last decade or so, i had jobs where i would start as early as 4-6 in the mornings and regular 9-5 types,and normal days where you always wake up like your heart will bust < as in freaking fear anxiety that paralyzes all the body just because its time to get out of bed.

now examples you provided with clocks sounds even worse,since you break the chain and those micro sleeps in the morning time i believe only cause more damage.
using drugs-bnzos i found that more then likely ill spend another 3-5hours in bed once they kick in which is usually fast in the mornings when theres no job on the day.

your somewhat correct that body in the morning is at its most vulnerable its like red alert kicks in.

one technique that ive read is to basically jump out of bed minute your awake and do some simple exercises-to get blood flowing,easier said then done but few times it worked ok for me,but not really thing that many would like to do on daily basis.

second technique i use is wake up 2 hours earlier, most people leave at least hour before they get dressed coffee and out the door to hit traffic.Now extra hour doesnt eliminate that dreadfull fear once you wake up but it gives quite a good start where you can slowly put yourself together, as to put on slippers get coffee going ,brush wash, and slowly dress up for work leaving another 20-30mins to just melt there.Id doesnt help much with anxiety but in that spare time your almost in full mode awake and far away from going to bed.

also while havent noticed massive difference in what time one goes to sleep but then again anyone would want at least good 7-8 hours healthy sleep, since its easy to watch tv till midnight and if your up at 7 and cant fall asleep for another hour it works only in one feeling more tired anxious once awake.

one technique that ive never managed to try since it would need to be really timed well,is to use long lasting benzo like v@ls say 2-3 hours before waking up taking whatever dosage works for one, since in theory by the time you need to be up youll be sluggish etc.but benzo should be in full swing by that time to cancel out morning anxiety.

I know OP stated depression,thus wouldn't recommend any benzo routes to that, if its only depression and that medication isnt anywhere close that you would need it.
Another thing to watch for is the tricyclic antidepressants. I was prescribed one years ago for depression, and it made me sleep 12+ hours a day. I've been an insomniac my entire adult life, but for the two weeks I was on that medication I could NOT get out of bed.
(11-15-2017, 03:18 PM)cmdline Wrote: i have phases in the day specially when working where my worst anxiety comes out during afternoon,not sure is it too much coffee nicotine or just combo of stress work all together.

Now i have been really bad for mornings for last decade or so, i had jobs where i would start as early as 4-6 in the mornings and regular 9-5 types,and normal days where you always wake up like your heart will bust < as in freaking fear anxiety that paralyzes all the body just because its time to get out of bed.

now examples you provided with clocks sounds even worse,since you break the chain and those micro sleeps in the morning time i believe only cause more damage.
using drugs-bnzos i found that more then likely ill spend another 3-5hours in bed once they kick in which is usually fast in the mornings when theres no job on the day.

your somewhat correct that body in the morning is at its most vulnerable its like red alert kicks in.

one technique that ive read is to basically jump out of bed minute your awake and do some simple exercises-to get blood flowing,easier said then done but few times it worked ok for me,but not really thing that many would like to do on daily basis.

second technique i use is wake up 2 hours earlier, most people leave at least hour before they get dressed coffee and out the door to hit traffic.Now extra hour doesnt eliminate that dreadfull fear once you wake up but it gives quite a good start where you can slowly put yourself together, as to put on slippers get coffee going ,brush wash, and slowly dress up for work leaving another 20-30mins to just melt there.Id doesnt help much with anxiety but in that spare time your almost in full mode awake and far away from going to bed.

also while havent noticed massive difference in what time one goes to sleep but then again anyone would want at least good 7-8 hours healthy sleep, since its easy to watch tv till midnight and if your up at 7 and cant fall asleep for another hour it works only in one feeling more tired anxious once awake.

one technique that ive never managed to try since it would need to be really timed well,is to use long lasting benzo like v@ls say 2-3 hours before waking up taking whatever dosage works for one, since in theory by the time you need to be up youll be sluggish etc.but benzo should be in full swing by that time to cancel out morning anxiety.

I know OP stated depression,thus wouldn't recommend any benzo routes to that, if its only depression and that medication isnt anywhere close that you would need it.
Hey CMDline,
Some excellent stuff that you brought out, IMO. I am totally with you on all of it. I can really appreciate the idea of getting up long before you are due to leave and how it eliminates facing the possibility of having to leave soon after you hear the alarm. I have tried to do it the other way so many times, and have always failed. For example, when going to bed I am usually in a more mentally stable mood, so I will set the alarm for 30 minutes before I need to be out the door. But every single time I do that, I will start to be filled with dread as the morning gets closer and come to realize that I cannot handle the 30 minute deal. So I end up changing the alarm to a far earlier time...or I just get up right then. Conversely, if I set the alarm way earlier than I have to be out the door, I am able to sleep until the alarm rings. So I gave up long ago trying to do the "up and out the door" thing. Everything that you said about the issue is so true. Thanks   RM
thx Rafterman, yeah if one can its def worth to consider to sacrifice say hour in the evening to be out of bed hour earlier,know its hard to change any sleeping habits, but as you i gave up long time ago to get out of bed where im left with few minutes space, i rather take my time to crawl and shake off that dread knowing i have plenty of time in advance where i can sit down and still be in the zone like im home that day,not jump into work clothes and out the door to face the dread of the day.
as with everything it works for some doesnt for others,but there are a lot of changes one could try each day.
Don't hit snooze! Seriously it's a difficult habit to get out of but you feel so much better getting out of bed straight away instead of turning snooze off every 10 minutes. I have a morning play list full of some of my favourite chill songs to wake up to so I can gradually start going about my day with. Two of the most effective methods are (1) exercising first thing to get the blood pumping even if it's just a ten minute jog and (2) a cold shower to get the blood pumping. Both are easier said than done though!
(11-27-2017, 03:33 PM)Glousck Wrote: Don't hit snooze! Seriously it's a difficult habit to get out of but you feel so much better getting out of bed straight away instead of turning snooze off every 10 minutes. I have a morning play list full of some of my favourite chill songs to wake up to so I can gradually start going about my day with. Two of the most effective methods are (1) exercising first thing to get the blood pumping even if it's just a ten minute jog and (2) a cold shower to get the blood pumping. Both are easier said than done though!

Thanks again, Glousck. I have successfully used the exercise method in past times. It worked for me when I was mildly depressed, but I had a lot of trouble with it first thing in the morning when I had major depressive disorder. I barely wanted to live another minute, much less do anything that required effort. I used to get emotionally stronger as the day went into night...probably because I was looking for to the oncoming sleep as a form of escape. I was a lifetime bodybuilder who thrived on the chemical rush of exercise. Now I am forbidden to even think about exercising, as I had a diagnosis of MND last year. They want me to baby every muscle. It sucks, because I know how hard it is to get happy without exercising. But I think that what you recommend would work for a good amount of people. Thanks for contributing to the thread.  RM
It's interesting reading how others cope with depression. I've always suffered from depression since I was a kid. Some periods were much darker than others but that cloud of hopelessness has always been present in some way, shape, or form. For many years I tried to combat it with alcohol and substance abuse but that only made it more complicated and eradic.  I'm an addict, plain and simple.  But, last year I hit my absolute rock bottom emotionally and psychologically so I went to rehab-then a sober living environment and eventually back out on my own. I've found that by not abusing drugs or drinking alcohol my life is MUCH less complicated and somewhat manageable.  I still have spurts of depression but I think everyone feels a little hopeless at some point in their life. For me, I set my alarm an hour and a half before I have to leave the house every morning and I get up immediately when it goes off. I drink a 5 hour energy and smoke a cigarette and immediately get in the shower. Then by the time I'm showered and dressed I read a brief 1-2 page daily meditation that seems to get my head in the right gear for the day, eat, and head to work. I will also attend a few AA or NA meetings a week just to keep things in perspective and also because for me they are very therapeutic. Between the meetings and my work schedule, depression has not been nearly as intrusive or dominant as it always has in the past. For me, keeping busy and also trying to get out of self are both detrimental to battling my depression.  I don't drink anymore because it always takes control at some point and I end up making the same mistakes again and again. I was also an active opiate addict for many years so I know that my life is completely unmanageable if I'm using opiates or any n@rcotics for that matter. The only thing I take is K-pins and occasionally I'll rotate through a few benz-OH-s to keep my tolerance low and my mind and body relaxed. Anyways, that's my 2 cents on depression.
Well I jumped into the river to many times to make it home...