Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘True Blood’ actor Nelsan Ellis dies at 39
Morning Mix
Nelsan Ellis died of alcohol withdrawal. Family hopes his death will be a ‘cautionary tale.’

By Travis M. Andrews July 11 at 4:13 AM

Nelsan Ellis arrives at the premiere for the fourth season of HBO’s “True Blood” in Los Angeles in 2011. (Matt Sayles/AP)
When 39-year-old actor Nelsan Ellis died Saturday, his manager Emily Saines said he died of “complications with heart failure.”

On Monday, though, Saines released a new statement showing the story to be much darker and complicated than that. The heart failure was caused by Ellis’s attempt to stop abusing alcohol on his own, which had been a lifelong but private struggle for the actor. The subsequent withdrawal led to his death.

“Nelsan’s father has bravely agreed for me to share the circumstances of Nelsan’s heart failure,” Saines’s statement to the Hollywood Reporter began. “Nelsan has suffered with drug and alcohol abuse for years.”

Though he was in and out of rehab, his sobriety never lasted. So finally, “After many stints in rehab, Nelsan attempted to withdraw from alcohol on his own.”

Attempting to detox from alcohol without medical attention, particularly after sustained use for a long period of time, is extremely dangerous. As WebMD stated, “Alcohol withdrawal syndrome is a potentially life-threatening condition that can occur in people who have been drinking heavily for weeks, months, or years and then either stop or significantly reduce their alcohol consumption.”

[‘True Blood’ actor Nelsan Ellis dies at 39]

Its symptoms, which can begin “as early as two hours after the last drink,” include shaky hands, sweating, anxiety, vomiting, seizures and death. Many believe musician Amy Winehouse may have died from attempting to quit alcohol cold-turkey, meaning stopping immediately rather than tapering off use.

That’s because alcohol disrupts the brain’s neurotransmitters, suppressing the production of some such as glutamate, which “produces feelings of excitability,” WebMD noted. “When heavy drinkers suddenly stop or significantly reduce their alcohol consumption, the neurotransmitters previously suppressed by alcohol are no longer suppressed. They rebound, resulting in a phenomenon known as brain hyperexcitability.”

Indeed, Ellis experienced many of these symptoms. In his statement, his father said that “during his withdrawal from alcohol he had a blood infection, his kidneys shut down, his liver was swollen, his blood pressure plummeted, and his dear sweet heart raced out of control.”

Unlike some celebrities whose visits to rehab are splashed across the trade publications and tabloids, Ellis’s battle was a private one. Most of his fans likely never suspected a thing. His father said Ellis “was ashamed of his addiction and thus was reluctant to talk about it during his life.”

There’s a sad irony, then, that the character Ellis was best known for playing was Lafayette Reynolds on HBO’s vampire show “True Blood.”

In the show, Lafayette was a gay short-order cook with a penchant for taking and selling “V” — vampire blood, which in the show’s mythology produces extreme, euphoric highs. He’s also often seen with a half-drunk bottle of liquor in his hand or within arm’s length.

Drinking and drug use, in fact, is a major feature of the show. It’s set in a fictional town called Bon Temps, La., a play on the Cajun French phrase, “Laissez les bons temps rouler” or “Let the good times roll.” The show presents many stereotypes of the area — including the idea that Louisianans spend life on a Mardi Gras-type bender, as if life in the bayou is one big bacchanal.

Even so, he didn’t publicly discuss his substance abuse issues.

But in the wake of his sudden and unexpected death, his family chose to tell the world in hopes of helping anyone else who might be struggling with addiction. They believed “that in death he would want his life to serve as a cautionary tale in an attempt to help others.”

Finally, his family reiterated, “Nelsan was a gentle, generous and kind soul. He was a father, a son, a grandson, a brother, a nephew, and a great friend to those that were lucky enough to know him.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn...ost&wpmk=1
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

I saw this sad news too.
Really young wasn't he.
Oh no! That's so sad, I Loved his character! So young, tragic in any case though.

This is a very sad indeed.

But I'm glad his father felt it right too share the tragic story, and that it's been shared on here too - as so many people do not realise just how dangerous it can be, you need to have the right help with alcohol withdrawal, done slowly in a controlled and careful environment...

This is such a real shame, considering he had seemingly beaten the mental demons on his own, only to become taken away by the physical side of the beast that is alcohol withdrawal...
39, linville.

i learned from my medical doctor sister that alchohol withdrawal can be lethal. so, i had to go behind me mother's back and tell the doctor to give her the recommended meds for same, when she went in for cancer surgery. he complied.

but, i would see reports of people whom just went thru rehab of one type or another, yet were dead within a year or far less.

So sad cuz like an irish family would also say go: cold turkey. I just always knew to have a very healthy respect for the power of the withdrawal process when it comes to alcohol.

May he RIP and may his story help others. Maybe help doctors to stop turning away patients and scripting them nothing to go off alcohol or benzo.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Rainbow 
I couldn't agree with you more, this is so very true Charon. And it's a great and very important point to make people aware of too!

Withdrawals from certain meds/substances can be very under estimated, and the old school of thought that you should, "just get on with it", with 'will power' alone, is a dangerous one!

It takes a certain level of knowledge or experience, and each substance has it's different methods/medications to aid withdrawal; all geared toward the person who is withdrawing.

It's not a simple thing as some would think.

I'm glad you also mentioned benzos, as they too can be a danger to life when not given the proper respect when coming off of them.  A person should never just stop taking them abruptly, and should never be left alone to themselves during the last part of the tapering off process.

And I hope his sad passing becomes an example, sad though it is, that it may raise awareness of the dangers associated with alcohol withdrawal and withdrawal in general, as his father so wishes...

I don't know how long ago it was for you, but I hope your sister managed to conquer those demons and all; with your help Charon... Angel
Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path...
And leave a trail... of Love, Laughter and Understanding.
(07-11-2017, 10:23 PM)Izzy76 Wrote: I couldn't agree with you more, this is so very true Charon. And it's a great and very important point to make people aware of too!

Withdrawals from certain meds/substances can be very under estimated, and the old school of thought that you should, "just get on with it", with 'will power' alone, is a dangerous one!

It takes a certain level of knowledge or experience, and each substance has it's different methods/medications to aid withdrawal; all geared toward the person who is withdrawing.

It's not a simple thing as some would think.

I'm glad you also mentioned benzos, as they too can be a danger to life when not given the proper respect when coming off of them.  A person should never just stop taking them abruptly, and should never be left alone to themselves during the last part of the tapering off process.

And I hope his sad passing becomes an example, sad though it is, that it may raise awareness of the dangers associated with alcohol withdrawal and withdrawal in general, as his father so wishes...

I don't know how long ago it was for you, but I hope your sister managed to conquer those demons and all; with your help Charon... Angel