Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PTSD and Me
You know one of the worst things about PTSD besides the sleepless nights, panic attacks etc... It's all the people around you that don't understand what you are going through. You tend to become really withdrawn and isolate yourself and certain people take that personally when it's not. I have lost childhood friends of MANY years due to this just because they don't get how many demons I am fighting.

I KNOW what it feels like to have to fight through this day by day and sometimes minute by minute to get through the bad days and I am pissed off that this has dominated my life for close to the last decade and I have wasted way too much time.

For whatever reason this year I finally seem to have got the motivation to try and take my life back. I managed to drop 40 lbs since the new year and just been a lot more active which feels great. This plus med's to control my anxiety, meditation to help center the body, mind and soul. Bottom line is I am NOT going to let this get the best of me. Everyday is a gift and I am not wasting anymore time for none of us have any guarantee for tomorrow.

It is not something that is easy to talk about especially for such a prideful person like myself but once you lay it out there it gets better.

Peace Everyone...
"Another Day In This Carnival Of Souls"
(04-01-2017, 11:59 PM)Furyan66 Wrote: Greetings all,  

Well gonna tell you all a bit more about myself and what has brought me back to the world of IOP's

In 2012 my psychologist diagnosed me with PTSD. I was shocked to learn this as I thought at the time this was only something that I had heard about affecting soldiers that had been to war. Well I'm here to tell you it can happen to anybody so I'll go back to the beginning.

It really started back in 2000 to 2001. I went through two nasty divorces back to back the second ended worse than the first and took from 2003 to 2009 to resolve in court. After a LOT of hate and stress, I finally ended up in the hospital for 10 days with uncontrollable seizures and very very little memory of even being in the hospital. I ended up hospitalized 2 more times after the initial attack and was off work six months. My memory was affected and I just remember bits and pieces of what happened and I have to rely on Friend's and family to fill me in on the gaps in my memory.

My neurologist told me I had suffered a "neurological event" saying that I either experienced a mild stroke or a nervous breakdown but he could not be sure and that it was a product of all the stress I was under. Ever since I have had to learn to control my anxiety by meditation, focusing on breathing and certain medication. I cannot let it get the best of me as I go right back to having seizures and not remembering anything. After more office visits than I can count my psychologist diagnosed me with PTSD and it's been a major struggle ever since.

PTSD sucks and is no joke...

Don't let the all the BS in the world get the best of you. It's just  not worth it.....

Peace All.....
sup furyan, i'm new here and just kind of rummaging around the site looking at topics i can share about or others can share w/ me and... i am fairly certain i am an ongoing survivor of PTSD.

my story, if anyone cares to here it:
i used to be a very hardcore opiate addict and when i first started suboxone for treatment i didn't take it too seriously, and would take it for a while then jump back on other things... kind of back and forth. i had a lot of experience with the lifestyle but one day really out of nowhere because i always felt in control of assessing the quality of certain things and using that information to dose myself or close friends i used with, and i had at the time illegal sources of narcan on hand just in case although i understand now that the nation is acknowledging its opiate epidemic many states are giving out narcan supplies through above ground channels to curb the death toll... but for whatever reason this particular day none of that mattered... and someone i was close to... very close friends with just dropped like a fly 5 minutes after injestion... i tred narcan, and cpr for 5-10 minutes before calling an ambulance... i'll keep the rest to myself but i experienced/watched every gory detail through my opiate numbed eyes and just did not react. some people say shock. i just didnt feel anything, very efficiently walled off that part of my brain so i did not think about it for a long time, though my behavior started to change.. i started to sequester myself, develop other drug and alcohol habits i had previously never had an interest in, developed a fear of dreams and somehow would wake up every morning with my mind blank yet somehow thankful i did not remember anything from the night before, lost interest in friendships, hobbies, essentially anything outside of being by myself in my small apartment. slowly the guilt of surviving, failing to save my friend ate me alive and after some time i saw a few psychiatrists briefly when i  finally moved away from where this all happened to go back to school and try to carve out a career in my chosen major.. and a few of the doctors ask or mentioned PTSD as a possible diagnosis, but i never stayed with them or trusted them long enough to start a dialogue. now, the numbness has cleared out into a deep loneliness and consistent depression, with very sharp spikes of sustained panic attacks i never previously had to endure. now i see a psych out of town who i pay out of pocket for my sub (so i dont get any "bright ideas") and a few other meds to manage my condition but they arent really enough. i try to supplement with other things i can find, but it's all just temporary and honestly as that former opiate addict who quit when their friend died, substandard relief from this sort of consistent... broken feeling. the psych does not speak to me for more than 5 minutes, and i just try to manage my symptoms as much as possible so i can function just enough to complete this degree. if i wasn't smart enough to have obtained great scholarships and had to work on top of school i dont think i could handle it. i still don't know how to effectively treat PTSD in a way that helps you move on, and it seems like it is ... to put it lightly not in a huge hurry to go away on it's own.

so that's what i'm dealing with for anyone who cares to read it or needs a stor to relate to. truthfully it's the reason i even ended up on this site. never thought i'd even be talking about it, but i'm an older student in a very tiny college town so i'm just out here on my own dealing with it all. my sympathies to anyone else who is as well.

-S.

(04-11-2017, 07:08 PM)mboxfrogger Wrote:

Well gonna tell you all a bit more about myself and what has brought me back to the world of IOP's

In 2012 my psychologist diagnosed me with PTSD. I was shocked to learn this as I thought at the time this was only something that I had heard about affecting soldiers that had been to war. Well I'm here to tell you it can happen to anybody so I'll go back to the beginning.

It really started back in 2000 to 2001. I went through two nasty divorces back to back the second ended worse than the first and took from 2003 to 2009 to resolve in court. After a LOT of hate and stress, I finally ended up in the hospital for 10 days with uncontrollable seizures and very very little memory of even being in the hospital. I ended up hospitalized 2 more times after the initial attack and was off work six months. My memory was affected and I just remember bits and pieces of what happened and I have to rely on Friend's and family to fill me in on the gaps in my memory.

My neurologist told me I had suffered a "neurological event" saying that I either experienced a mild stroke or a nervous breakdown but he could not be sure and that it was a product of all the stress I was under. Ever since I have had to learn to control my anxiety by meditation, focusing on breathing and certain medication. I cannot let it get the best of me as I go right back to having seizures and not remembering anything. After more office visits than I can count my psychologist diagnosed me with PTSD and it's been a major struggle ever since.

Don't let the all the BS in the world get the best of you. It's just  not worth it.....

Peace All.....
sup furyan, i'm new here and just kind of rummaging around the site looking at topics i can share about or others can share w/ me and... i am fairly certain i am an ongoing survivor of PTSD.

i used to be a very hardcore opiate addict and when i first started suboxone for treatment i didn't take it too seriously, and would take it for a while then jump back on other things... kind of back and forth. i had a lot of experience with the lifestyle but one day really out of nowhere because i always felt in control of assessing the quality of certain things and using that information to dose myself or close friends i used with, and i had at the time illegal sources of narcan on hand just in case although i understand now that the nation is acknowledging its opiate epidemic many states are giving out narcan supplies through above ground channels to curb the death toll... but for whatever reason this particular day none of that mattered... and someone i was close to... very close friends with just dropped like a fly 5 minutes after injestion... i tred narcan, and cpr for 5-10 minutes before calling an ambulance... i'll keep the rest to myself but i experienced/watched every gory detail through my opiate numbed eyes and just did not react. some people say shock. i just didnt feel anything, very efficiently walled off that part of my brain so i did not think about it for a long time, though my behavior started to change.. i started to sequester myself, develop other drug and alcohol habits i had previously never had an interest in, developed a fear of dreams and somehow would wake up every morning with my mind blank yet somehow thankful i did not remember anything from the night before, lost interest in friendships, hobbies, essentially anything outside of being by myself in my small apartment. slowly the guilt of surviving, failing to save my friend ate me alive and after some time i saw a few psychiatrists briefly when i  finally moved away from where this all happened to go back to school and try to carve out a career in my chosen major.. and a few of the doctors ask or mentioned PTSD as a possible diagnosis, but i never stayed with them or trusted them long enough to start a dialogue. now, the numbness has cleared out into a deep loneliness and consistent depression, with very sharp spikes of sustained panic attacks i never previously had to endure. now i see a psych out of town who i pay out of pocket for my sub (so i dont get any "bright ideas") and a few other meds to manage my condition but they arent really enough. i try to supplement with other things i can find, but it's all just temporary and honestly as that former opiate addict who quit when their friend died, substandard relief from this sort of consistent... broken feeling. the psych does not speak to me for more than 5 minutes, and i just try to manage my symptoms as much as possible so i can function just enough to complete this degree. if i wasn't smart enough to have obtained great scholarships and had to work on top of school i dont think i could handle it. i still don't know how to effectively treat PTSD in a way that helps you move on, and it seems like it is ... to put it lightly not in a huge hurry to go away on it's own.

so that's what i'm dealing with for anyone who cares to read it or needs a stor to relate to. truthfully it's the reason i even ended up on this site. never thought i'd even be talking about it, but i'm an older student in a very tiny college town so i'm just out here on my own dealing with it all. my sympathies to anyone else who is as well.

-S.

oh, also, i didn't have it as bad as furyan but i also had a "neurological event" about 7 months after the incident where i descended a flight of stairs at a friends house and fainted, banging my head against the wall on the way down with a small wound. when i came to i had no memory of fainting or falling and it took me several minutes to understand what had just occurred. soon after my left hand closed and locked up and i couldn't move it for several hours. this incident scared the shit out of me but i refrained from going to the hospital (i do not recommend anyone do this). i never tied to two situations together but furyan's post gave me pause, and i thought i should mention it.
mbox, i started to answer before. was interrupted. but yes, it sounds like symptoms of PTSD that i have studied.

i was researching medical subjects the other day. some manifest by neurological symptoms. i know one teenage boy whom was so so freaked by a very high pressure school, he became paralyzed for a few days. no one ever figured out why. he is ok now.

i am not a medical doctor. but i feel ur symptoms could be PTSD. i would have been rather upset by the hand cramping up. but it left. if it happens again, then maybe have it checked out?

as i mentioned in PM, with My PTSD, i merely take a small amt of valium per day since i was 15. It prevents tremors. Seizures.

We are here if u want to talk. I can give u my email if u would like. Have a glorious nite!
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Peace All.....

-S.

Peace All.....

-S.

oh, also, i didn't have it as bad as furyan but i also had a "neurological event" about 7 months after the incident where i descended a flight of stairs at a friends house and fainted, banging my head against the wall on the way down with a small wound. when i came to i had no memory of fainting or falling and it took me several minutes to understand what had just occurred. soon after my left hand closed and locked up and i couldn't move it for several hours. this incident scared the shit out of me but i refrained from going to the hospital (i do not recommend anyone do this). i never tied to two situations together but furyan's post gave me pause, and i thought i should mention it.
Hey mboxfrogger...

First most defiantly glad you opened up about your issues and that right there is the first step in treating it by confronting it and there is great people here. It's not easy to talk about or put into words how one feels with PTSD since everyone's body and mind react different. I know for me it's a day by day battle to keep my anxiety in check and I also focus on work and other issues to occupy my mind. After years of just feeling like I wanted to curl up in a corner and die, I was watching a movie this past January. A movie I had sen many times but for some reason this time it changed my view on my condition. The movie Shawshank Redemption has a line in it that just really struck me. "Life comes down to a simple choice really, get busy living or get busy dying". After that it made me realize how many years I had wasted and while I'll be fighting this condition the rest of my years I am not wasting any more time.. Life is too short..

There are people who care and understand and I like Charon (Respect her for she is the wisest of us) are available to talk.

May you defeat your demons and know you are not alone.

Peace
amazing post, fury. I love to see members reaching out to each other. This is what family is all about. Except we all get it here. We have differing lives for various reasons. But, we are always here for each other. That is often lacking in real life.

You are not alone. And, as I always would state also, the first step to healing is by admitting the problem. I promise you that now u r more open to a full healing. Knowing how to treat yourself. How to live all that you are meant to be.

You have friends here now.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

(04-12-2017, 12:01 AM)Charon Wrote: amazing post, fury.  I love to see members reaching out to each other.  This is what family is all about.  Except we all get it here.  We have differing lives for various reasons.  But, we are always here for each other.  That is often lacking in real life.

You are not alone.  And, as I always would state also, the first step to healing is by admitting the problem.  I promise you that now u r more open to a full healing.  Knowing how to treat yourself.  How to live all that you are meant to be.

You have friends here now.

Thanks Charon,

Just trying to speak from my heart to mboxfrogger and anyone else who suffers from this. PTSD is no joke and will put you in your grave if you let it get the best of you. Admitting and talking about it is hard but even since I started this thread I feel a LOT more open to be able to discuss it so I encourage anyone to just post about it. The first time is hard but once you take that step, opening up to someone other than my psychiatrist like all the great people on here is very therapeutic and another good form of treatment..

You cannot hold it in it will destroy your soul and thats a lesson it took me years to learn.

Peace Everyone and have a great day... Cool
i appreciate it guys, you know in general i would say if anyone is looking for information about it maybe they will find it and that can imbue meaning to my or anyone elses' struggle, so i want to reference everything i have to say here even though i would stand behind it just based on personal experience, but as a self-defined addict i have a lot of issues with our "situation" in this country which from my point of view is this: limited access to healthcare, and limited medical treatments, a predatory and expensive rehab system that preys on us and our families (1) and research into the condition (i find it confusing that as even as president obama said our country *is* going through an opioid epidemic (2) canada is as well (3) and aside from our own countries pharms clandestine chem labs in asia are pumping simply *too strong* products that are ending up in our street drugs [fentanyl, carfentanil {opioid so strong it's an actual elephant tranq}] (4) that the country is choking up on buprenorphine access, and straight up i could find a reference for that but i've had to deal with it myself.) and finally filling more and more private prisons with our bodies so whitey McOldguy makes a buck off of our misery. if ballpark 1-2 our of 3 prisoners is a non-violent drug offender, and america houses 25% of the worlds prisoners what does that tell you? (5) 

last year i had a doctor find soma in my system, ask me to stop and bump up my sub dose to an irresponsible amount all in one thirty minute session that he demanded that attend in the middle of my finals. now dig this logic, he calls me to an emergency session, won't tell me what it's about over the phone, i go there, 2 hours away because i live in the middle of nowhere small college town, to address the dirty piss i don't even know about yet, and i'm simply straight up with him about it after he told me point blank he wasn't one of those doctors i had to hide things from and i might have PTSD ect. then, he piss tests me before i go and i assume that is it until next month. first of all let's say thank goodness i'm lucky to have insurance, and a family or it would be unlikely i could afford to see this person at all, let alone afford to pay for his prescriptions, particularly the massive sub one. now i'm not stupid, i'm not going to just up my sub dose to level crazy just because some dude says so, and thank goodness again i didn't, bc, i suppose he expected me to a. quit taking the soma and b. get it all out of my system within the 3 minutes since we just talked about it and i went to the bathroom to piss in a cup, because 17 days later i recieved a letter in the mail saying he was discharging me as his patient for failing 2 drug tests, and refused to even speak to me or write me a prescription for a months worth of sub to look for another doctor, which is standard. i meet him for the first time and he tests me, he finds something, we talk about it, tests me again as i'm walking out thinking i'll just quit and see him next month. i'm not going to waste my time pointing out you can't pass a drug test about something seconds after it is addressed, because i think collectively we all know what happened here. many doctors who deal in sub are like this, and they put us in the mind frame like we are going to court or getting pulled over by the police when we go to their office, and these doctors who are psychiatrists slinging sub on the side are influencing us to close up even further in that environment. now my "psychiatrist" is not a person i talk to about anything, he is a person i answer to, once a month, to get what i need to get by, keep my mouth shut everything is fine and keep on moving. in this environment i don't know how anyone wouldn't feel on edge. little non-sequitur but just to bring a little perspective to where everyone's priorities are at while 1/10th of their population dies on the vine: dr. phil cash me outside how bout dat girl is making 100 grand a week rn. seriously most of the time i just can't even.

-S.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mggiD9OvRQQ
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXH5agV7skw
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28rJqj-7pEY
4. https://www.yahoo.com/news/rash-overdose...54931.html
5. 13, documentary, netflix
(04-09-2017, 11:50 PM)Furyan66 Wrote: Now this is the best medicine for Anxiety and Stress. Up early, watch a beautiful sunrise over the lake and take a nice long walk around the lake and falls to center body and mind.

Peace All

those first two pictures remind me of what it looks like around where i live. black trees, fiery orange and pink dusk/dawn skies... interesting.

- S.
Good Sunday All... Things still been going pretty good controlling all the Anxiety and even been doing better at getting out of this shell and actually socializing more. Always will be a struggle but just remember when you feel the anxiety coming on just take a deep breath and refocus your thoughts to that "special place of peace" in your mind everyone has one and concentrate on your breathing. Most people who don't suffer from PTSD breath and dont even think about it. PTSD sufferers have to control your breathing otherwise anxiety can turn into a full blown panic attack and those are one of the worst things I have ever went through. Breathing, Controlling your thoughts and you have to be one tough minded person to fight through this but you can..

Each person has to find their own way and some doctors don't always know best.

My daughter recently gave me a couple Salt Lamp Crystals that I have incorporated in to my meditation and after taking a few nights to get used to the diferent glow at night, I have now learned to love em

This is a link to another thread that has good info about Anxiety
http://ioplist.org/showthread.php?tid=2389

Salt Lamps Link
http://ioplist.org/showthread.php?tid=29...light=salt

Hope you are doing well mboxfrogger and dancing wolf, remember you are not alone. My PM door is open
(04-23-2017, 11:24 AM)Furyan66 Wrote: Good Sunday All... Things still been going pretty good controlling all the Anxiety and even been doing better at getting out of this shell and actually socializing more. Always will be a struggle but just remember when you feel the anxiety coming on just take a deep breath and refocus your thoughts to that "special place of peace" in your mind everyone has one and concentrate on your breathing. Most people who don't suffer from PTSD breath and dont even think about it. PTSD sufferers have to control your breathing otherwise anxiety can turn into a full blown panic attack and those are one of the worst things I have ever went through. Breathing, Controlling your thoughts and you have to be one tough minded person to fight through this but you can..

Each person has to find their own way and some doctors don't always know best.

My daughter recently gave me a couple Salt Lamp Crystals that I have incorporated in to my meditation and after taking a few nights to get used to the diferent glow at night, I have now learned to love em

This is a link to another thread that has good info about Anxiety
http://ioplist.org/showthread.php?tid=2389

Salt Lamps Link
http://ioplist.org/showthread.php?tid=29...light=salt

Hope you are doing well mboxfrogger and dancing wolf, remember you are not alone. My PM door is open

my mother swears by these steam releasers that you drop essential oils into... i'm really more of a visceral person and i usually need some sort of proff something is working or will work but at the very least it's neutral and  could argue the point that if you use it (many essential oils are very pleasant smelling to spread through your living space) when you are calm you could create a neural connection there.

on another note, the worst thing i've noticed about my PTSD, after my 'frozen' period where i mostly felt nothing is that your average panic attack which is nothing to sneeze at could, given the right circumstances (for some reason sunday late nights going into monday mornings are a concern/trigger point for me) i go through this... total breakdown where a bed of general anxiety and fear is laid down and the smallest thing will set off a panic attack. these episodes will last for 4-5 hours and i could easily have 2,3,4 panic attacks an hour in that time. I find the weirdest things to latch on to to hold on to my sanity (running sink water, sitting in a chair i normally don't sit in, pacing because to sit down will trigger another panic attack, running warm water over my hands or feet) this type of stuff really makes me feel crazy and is a fresh new hell in my battles with mental health. any experience or advice on this?