Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the most powerful non benzo drug for sleep?
Weird thread,

For short term insomnia/jet lag almost anything works benadryl or gravol.  The "z" drugs and ambien/lunesta type meds are to me very close to benzos in action and in theory chemically in structure.  Once again short term/occasional use.

I do not like the use of seroquel or tradazone (this is bad practice and crap medicine) for sleep-but your choice they work but you are being a lab rat-your choice.

Long term sleep meds are a mystery tolerance develops to everything in most people-not all but still sadly many.

Short term maybe Remeron but it is an anti-d just make a lot of people sleep and messes up a lot of people the next day but that is what you will get.  In a perfect world-temazepam short term or barb very short term sadly those days are gone and you cannot get them and most people cannot use them properly.
OTC Phenibut . RX , Seroquel . Trazadone too, but if you use it everyday, will stop working within a couple of weeks.

(11-06-2019, 09:10 PM)mr-nobody Wrote: Weird thread,

For short term insomnia/jet lag almost anything works benadryl or gravol.  The "z" drugs and ambien/lunesta type meds are to me very close to benzos in action and in theory chemically in structure.  Once again short term/occasional use.

I do not like the use of seroquel or tradazone (this is bad practice and crap medicine) for sleep-but your choice they work but you are being a lab rat-your choice.

Long term sleep meds are a mystery tolerance develops to everything in most people-not all but still sadly many.

Short term maybe Remeron but it is an anti-d just make a lot of people sleep and messes up a lot of people the next day but that is what you will get.  In a perfect world-temazepam short term or barb very short term sadly those days are gone and you cannot get them and most people cannot use them properly.

But, most of sleep aids, except for Trazodone, will affect your memory and/or your cognitive functions . Of course, none sleep will affect it too Smile
There’s Xyrem but I’ve never seen it available anywhere.
(11-09-2019, 07:29 AM)seeker47 Wrote: There’s Xyrem but I’ve never seen it available anywhere.

Never understood how this exactly works, on the lab site it say that you need to take it at night , to avoid narcolepsy, but in now place it tell ( at least on their site ) that actually improves sleep .  After all , you can take moda for the narcolepsy, and , definitive, don't improve sleep.
What is also incredible, is that it can be prescribe for childrens too ( 7 years and up ) .
(11-07-2019, 03:27 PM)killingstress Wrote: OTC Phenibut . RX , Seroquel . Trazadone too, but if you use it everyday, will stop working within a couple of weeks.

But, most of sleep aids, except for Trazodone, will affect your memory and/or your cognitive functions . Of course, none sleep will affect it too Smile

Yes they can but people vary in their response.  The z drugs really put me down but the cognitive impairment was intolerable for me- others not so much so it works for them.  For jet-lag I might use a gravol and all I need the next day is a strong cup of coffee and I am fine.  Temazepam or Lorazepam (low dose works great for me and many I have met but I have had people state that 1 mg ativan gives them a fuzzy hangover.  We are all different and your mileage may vary-nothing works for everyone.

I really have not found something that works long term with chronic sleep disorders but that is not really my strong suit. Just wanted to comment on short term insomnia-long term requires a much longer post and patient history.

(11-09-2019, 07:29 AM)seeker47 Wrote: There’s Xyrem but I’ve never seen it available anywhere.

If I am not mistaken Xyrem is pharmaceutical GHB it is a "unicorn" in theory it is out there in theory you can be prescribed it depending on where you live.  GHB is a facinating chemical and should really get more study but it's reputation as a "party drug" and other legal/social problems means it will never be studied although I think it should be given a medical trial (drug study) also it is off patent so no money for big-pharma it will be demonized and pushed to the side while they look for some poison they can make obscene profits from-cynical day guys but another example of something that could really work there is a lot of papers on it but we will never know.
(11-09-2019, 04:26 PM)mr-nobody Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 03:27 PM)killingstress Wrote: OTC Phenibut . RX , Seroquel . Trazadone too, but if you use it everyday, will stop working within a couple of weeks.

Yes they can but people vary in their response.  The z drugs really put me down but the cognitive impairment was intolerable for me- others not so much so it works for them.  For jet-lag I might use a gravol and all I need the next day is a strong cup of coffee and I am fine.  Temazepam or Lorazepam (low dose works great for me and many I have met but I have had people state that 1 mg ativan gives them a fuzzy hangover.  We are all different and your mileage may vary-nothing works for everyone.

I really have not found something that works long term with chronic sleep disorders but that is not really my strong suit. Just wanted to comment on short term insomnia-long term requires a much longer post and patient history.

If I am not mistaken Xyrem is pharmaceutical GHB it is a "unicorn" in theory it is out there in theory you can be prescribed it depending on where you live.  GHB is a facinating chemical and should really get more study but it's reputation as a "party drug" and other legal/social problems means it will never be studied although I think it should be given a medical trial (drug study) also it is off patent so no money for big-pharma it will be demonized and pushed to the side while they look for some poison they can make obscene profits from-cynical day guys but another example of something that could really work there is a lot of papers on it but we will never know.

I always wanted to try GHB, the more similar thing we can get is phenibut ?
I took Ambien for a long time (5 years or so), and never built a tolerance to it. Everyone is different, of course, but I think taking as little Ambien as possible, and sleeping as much as possible without it, really helped keep Ambien working for me.

I have taken 50 mg Trazodone with no effect, but I recently tried 100 mg for one night, and that did seem to help. I hear Trazodone is given in doses up to 300 mg. The strongest sleep drugs are habit-forming, and some are dangerous: benzos, barbs, choral hydrate, and narcotics. Z-drugs an be habit forming, but are very unlikely to cause an OD if taken alone. Of other available drugs, I suspect the 300 mg dose of trazodone is one of the stronger sleep meds.
(11-11-2019, 09:22 AM)Peony13 Wrote: I took Ambien for a long time (5 years or so), and never built a tolerance to it.  Everyone is different, of course, but I think taking as little Ambien as possible, and sleeping as much as possible without it, really helped keep Ambien working for me.

I have taken 50 mg Trazodone with no effect, but I recently tried 100 mg for one night, and that did seem to help. I hear Trazodone is given in doses up to 300 mg. The strongest sleep drugs are habit-forming, and some are dangerous: benzos, barbs, choral hydrate, and narcotics. Z-drugs an be habit forming, but are very unlikely to cause an OD if taken alone. Of other available drugs, I suspect the 300 mg dose of trazodone is one of the stronger sleep meds.

And any side effect on Ambien ?
I take trazodone 200mg every night . The Think is, that even at this dose, it start to have anti depressant effect. Which is good for me, but I feel the withdraw effect if I don' take it every day.
Wow Midazolam is potent stuff, it's used for grand mal seizures also. Stops them fast. I was going to say Halcion until i read you said non b3nzo hypnotics.

I would have to agree with someone who said Promethazine it's quite strong and you can get it otc, well where I'm at you can. However beware it has a half life of 19hrs, a rule of thumb is 5 half lifes and its clear out your system. The downside is you do build tolerance but really really slowly and upon stopping after say a months use it will take about 4 days to clear and you feel a little depressed after for a day or so. No rebound insomnia though, quite a handy thing to have in your home cupboard put me to sleep like no other b3nzo and its a antihistamine!

Also (not that I would personally recommend from my own experience) but have a look at Amitriptyline (Elavil) a tricyclic antidepressant. Very very sedating to the point that I was zombied out for two days straight. However comes with a ton of side effects to watch out for.

I won't entertain a conversation about GHB and I would not recommend going there I've seen in front of my eyes what it can do to a person instantlySad however it is something understudied and could have had benefits if it weren't used in such a reccreatnl way...
Success!
To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
(11-04-2019, 04:28 AM)killingstress Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 12:06 AM)Danny Wrote: I was on low dose of seroquel and it was pretty effective.  I stopped taking it because it would make me have this uncomfortable feeling before making me sleep.  But my sister in law swares by it.

I thought it was too hard and didn't give high quality sleep . Did you felt good next morning ?

In the morning you are awake and do not feel any drowsiness. Do not abuse large doses: 25 - 50 mg is quite enough. Seroquel helps to fall asleep 30 to 40 minutes after ingestion, but it cannot be said that it provides a deep restless sleep all the night. And most importantly: no addiction, no withdrawal syndrome.