Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Non benzo meds for anxiety
(07-26-2019, 10:35 PM)MrFussbudget Wrote: I'm disappointed to read all the bad experiences with buspirone.  I was just given it today to help with anxiety and insomnia to replace the mirtazapine that I had been taking, because even though the mirtaz was better than nothing--it wasn't really helping either issue that much.  Has anyone had any luck with buspirone?  I'm a recovering alcoholic, so the docs are very careful with what they will give me (and I understand why.)  I have been meditating and doing yoga and both help for sure.  I also take melatonin.  But a big trigger for my relapses have been anxiety and insomnia--so it would be good insurance to take a safe non-addictive med for help.  (And I can't take the zolp anymore because I just abuse it...even though I really miss it.)
I have been a long time sufferer of anxiety. It’s gotten to where I’m currently unable to leave my house. I’ve tried nearly every benzo, and have also tried buspirone, colchicine, and hydroxyzine. Honestly none have been particularly effective. I was very concerned about the side effects of the colchicine, and did not feel confident taking it. I found the buspirone made me dizzy but had little to no effect on anxiety. It felt a lot like SSRI withdrawal.
The docs have been trying to "replace" benzos for me since I was first diagnosed with PTSD and GAD back in '05. I've tried everything-- buspirone, hydroxyzine,  beta blockers (propranolol), you name it. I always ended up back in the ER or the "Loony Bin." I've been through enough and know what works for me but they never ever listen. Sooooooooo...  Rolleyes
Hi folks,

I suffered severe insomnia for years. I simply could not fall asleep. I saw 4am many many nights, back to back, even after going to bed 7 hours prior.
Up at 6/7am, I was a zombie!

I managed to ‘conquer’ insomnia by taking D0xylam1ne succinate (50mg) and fast dissolving melat0n1n (2.5mg) per night.

I’ve had years of success with these 2 ... technically - over the counter (you don’t need a pr3scr1ption) both are off the shelf in US, its very very easy to get them in UK also. Bioveadotnet for example.

I have purposely spelt these words with numbers - you can’t be too careful these days.

Good luck y’all
(08-13-2019, 05:39 PM)iNsom Wrote: Hi folks,

I suffered severe insomnia for years. I simply could not fall asleep. I saw 4am many many nights, back to back, even after going to bed 7 hours prior.

I managed to ‘conquer’ insomnia by taking D0xylam1ne succinate (50mg) and fast dissolving melat0n1n (2.5mg) per night.

I’ve had years of success with these 2 ... technically - over the counter (you don’t need a pr3scr1ption) both are off the shelf in US, its very very easy to get them in UK also. Bioveadotnet for example.

I have purposely spelt these words with numbers - you can’t be too careful these days.

Good luck y’all

Did D0xylam1ne succinate give you quality sleep ? I tried it a couple of time but I was feeling that the sleep was not so good ( of course, it is better that none sleep at all ) . Thanks
Thumbs Up 
(08-14-2019, 04:26 AM)killingstress Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 05:39 PM)iNsom Wrote: Hi folks,

Good luck y’all

Did D0xylam1ne succinate give you quality sleep ? I tried it a couple of time but I was feeling that the sleep was not so good ( of course, it is better that none sleep at all ) . Thanks

*** Start of edit ***

-I hope this edit (grammatical improvement) doesn’t ruin the whole post, it can happen when editing a reply-

Hi KS,

I’ll use shortened words and / or spaces in my answer (its ‘goo g le’ , ‘B in g’ , etc we dont want to draw any attention to) - you seem to understand anyway, nice one, ok:

The answer is, as you’d expect- yes and no.
The good news, in my experience (hereon IME) is, the yes outweighs the no.

Doxy is a short acting an ti his ta mine, this is good because you don’t get that hangover feeling the next day - like still falling asleep in the shower kinda idea.
I feel like I’m still getting every stage of sleep (light, deep, REM, etc) however I’ve been taking mel a tonin for so long I can’t quite remember if the doxy alone inhibited any stages of sleep.
I know of people who only take doxy and they swear by it, I also know people who only take mel a tonin, and they swear by it. Just to clarify, I mean it really helps them (when I say ‘swear by it’)

Doxy will help you fall asleep faster, mel will also (its produced naturally by our own bodies, its the chemi cal that tells our brain when its night time) - while on the subject of mel, if you choose to try it, don’t take it more than 5 minutes before lights out, light will void it, render it useless. Another thing about mel is it helps the brain reach REM, arguably the most important stage of sleep.

Doxy has, in studies, proven to be more effective than bar bit u ates at helping people achieve sleep.

Also, a good to know is none of them are physically add ic tive (IME and in others) 
I depend on them, I take them everywhere I go, but if for example i go on holiday and ive had loads of exercise (sightseeing) - sun - and maybe some al co hol, I don’t take them for 1-2 even 3 weeks and my body doesn’t enter any stage or feeling of withdrawal whatsoever.

There is a ton of info out there, don’t believe all the negative stuff, don’t believe all the positive stuff, also, im just a regular guy so don’t take my word for it, im not a Dr. 

Nonetheless and to conclude, these 2 ‘sleep aids’ turned my life around.
Good luck, have a read, there is a buuuuuunch of info about these out there

*** end of edit ***

Please work .....

Nice Smile
Yes, Doxy is a good one. I got the Kirkland Signature brand, which is a pot of 96.
(08-15-2019, 05:52 PM)barq- Wrote: Yes, Doxy is a good one. I got the Kirkland Signature brand, which is a pot of 96.
Hey barq-
yeah, I buy the kirkland one too. 
Minimum is a box of 2 tubs of 96 (192 tabs)
When many extremely popular health stores sell that as the minimum buy (at like £15, usually with a deal like buy another for 1/2 price etc) its gotta be pretty safe.
I believe im correct in saying its safe for pregnant women (...i’ll check)

Yup, massively studied, safe for pregnant mothers to take.
Its by far the most sed ating ant i histamine and by my research, by far the safest, not that others are in any way very dangerous ...
I would use caution regarding melatonin. Granted, it is a naturally occurring hormone with incredibly low toxicity, however, it is intrinsically related to one’s circadian rhythm's, though the relationship is not 100% understood. This is where the caution comes in: as it is sold as a health supplement, rather than an RX medication, it’s production is largely unregulated, as is dosing. Most melatonin supplements I’ve seen/taken have consisted of tablets of either 1, 3, or 5mg per pill (and yes, I did find it effective at combating insomnia) however, I have read peer reviewed studies (though not that recently, or I’d try to dig up a link) suggesting that the actual appropriate dosage of melatonin should be measured in MICROGRAMS (an entire decimal point’s difference) as that is the plasma level/“dosage” that a healthy sleeper produces endogenously. The long-term effects of taking 1000+ micrograms (1mg+) of melatonin daily are largely unknown and there is not enough adequate data available for analysis in this long-term context. That being said I have a bottle by my nightstand and usually take ~250mcg (1/4 of a 1mg tab).

Another medication/supplement I can suggest for nighttime anxiety/insomnia (as well as some
Improved sense of “wellbeing” during the day) is Elavil. This is an anti depressant which is extremely sedating, and is often prescribed off label for issues such as insomnia, neuropathic pain, migraines, etc.
For me it has been a godsend, but I still need to take benzodiazepines during the day for anxiety, as it really only confers mild benefits in that regard. But if sleep is your greatest concern, definitely inquire about it with your GP. Hope this helps.
Hi CC. Agreed, melatonin is definitely not best choice for long term, and you’re correct about the mcg.
Health aside, I did read your body (brain) just uses some and ... for sake of words, digests the rest.
Who knows.
Big Ph4rm4 control it to an extent here so thats a red flag (I import mine from US)

I use it around 4 nights a week at present.
I take around 1/4 to half a 5mg tab.
Don’t use it at the weekends, nonetheless I’ve noticed that during the week I’ve become a bit dependent on doxy & mel.

I guess negative side effects are phycological dependance and, well, TBC.
The pros are, well, for example, if I go on a ~10 day holiday ill pack my doxy and mel and realise upon returning home I never used any, at all (99% of the time (nights)) with no physical or phycological withdrawals in any way shape or form. 

One day I hope to have a bedside cabinet with just a light and water, but for now I’ll continue with the doxy and mel because I get deep high(ish) quality sleep.

In conclusion, it comes down to the choice of the best of two evils.
Insomnia robbed my early 20. 10 years on, I feel great.

However, thats not the whole story. I stopped taking Co d 3i ne recently (my back pain became my alarm clock) and replaced it with, K 7 4 T 0 M.

Completely legal in my part of the world.

I’m not exactly happy with being mid 30’s, taking doxy, mel, diaz & K 7 4 T O M, but the latter (if you know what it is, if not, PM me) has me in a very happy place just now.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m only taking therapeutic / minimal doses of each, but the latter one has me thinking im turning a corner, especially as it has lowered my dose of the other 3 and stopped one, altogether.

Peace
I haven't had time to read this long thread, but I have some academic training in psychoactive drugs, and wanted to comment on 5HTP and on serotonin.

5HTP is a precursor (an building block) of the neurotransmitter (brain chemical) serotonin. Taking it can raise the level of serotonin, but its effectiveness varies. There are prescription drugs that also raise the level of serotonin, including the drugs called SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors.) Prozac is probably the best known of the SSRIs. These drugs have a much stronger effects than just taking 5HTP. The herb St. John's Wort has some of the same effects as SSRIs, and should not be taken by anyone on an SSRI or along with taking 5HTP.

[If you want to know how SSRIs work, here is how. When a nerve cell fires, it released one or more neurotransmitters into the gaps between nerve cells, which are called synapses. After a nerve cell fires, leftover neurotransmitters are either re-absorbed into the cells that fired them, or are broken down by enzymes. SSRIs prevent serotonin from being reabsorbed, so that the serotonin stays in the synapses longer and gets picked up more by the receiving cells. The "potentiates" (strengthens) the effects of serotonin.]

Although most SSRIs are given primarily to treat anxiety, they also often help with anxiety. It's that SSRIs gradually reduce anxiety by overstimulating certain anxiety-causing pathways in the brain, so that the pathways become desensitized -- numb and less responsive. You have probably experienced desensitization on your skin. If you ever have broken a fingernail close to the quick, the area that had been covered by the fingernail may be very sensitive for a while. Eventually, the area becomes less sensitive, the same as the other skin on your fingertip. This is the same sort of process that happens with certain anxiety pathways in the brain after a person has taken SSRIs for a while. However, starting with too high a dose of SSRIs can initially increase anxiety. Some SSRIs -- such as Buspar, which is primarily an anti-anxiety drug, not an anti-depressant -- are given first in a low dose, which is then gradually increased.

SSRIs are not sedatives and are not controlled substances. They do not produce addiction, but stopping them suddenly may cause unpleasant flu-like symptoms. Prozac is longer acting than the other SSRIs -- some people take Prozac just once a week, because it takes something like two weeks to wear off. Therefore, these symptoms rarely occur with Prozac.