Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting "Conspiracy Theories"
Hi

I know "conspiracy theory" is a very loaded term, but which "officially" debunked ideas do you find interesting? You might be a believer, maybe you are uncertain, or curious despite not believing. Let's try and keep away from politics, (e.g. Clinton, Trump, Obama) to keep it friendly and non-partisan. 

Let me start with an unusual one... cold fusion. In 1989 Pons and Fleischmann claimed they were getting nuclear fusion at room temperature with fairly simple lab apparatus. If it were true then we'd have this amazing source of green energy at a low cost.

Scientists around the world rushed to replicate Pons and Fleischmann's findings. The big universities failed, Los Alamos couldn't do it, nor Harwell in the UK. But after a few days a small team at Georgia Tech announced they'd successfully replicated it. Then, a few days later they backtracked and went in front of the press to explain it was an obscure fault with the measuring apparatus. There was no cold fusion - there never had been. In their haste they'd failed to run a control experiment.

At that point things went wild at G Tech. The switchboard was in meltdown with people wanting to know what the oil companies had paid to silence the scientists. Many people believe the effect was real, and silenced by those with vested interests.

I don't believe the cold fusion worked, but I find this an incredible story, and to this day many amateur/self-taught scientists work on their own cold fusion projects so clearly a lot of people do believe it. There is an annual cold fusion conference that's been running since 1990, but it is an outcast among the scientific community and apparently of more interest to sociologists than physicists. 

We are currently spending billions on developing "hot" nuclear fusion e.g. €20bn on ITER. They'll probably get there eventually, but it ain't cheap, and turning it into power stations that actually feed into the grid is a long way off. Pity that cold fusion didn't work...
Great Idea for a thread!

Have you heard about the " Teenage girl freezer death" conspirancy?

When I have more time I will link it, and explain.

Also Pizzgate

I have not heard of " Hot Nuclear fusion"
Why do you think the experiments failed? I am not seeing the conspirancy here?
(01-10-2018, 03:27 PM)yellowdog Wrote: Great Idea for a thread!

Have you heard about the " Teenage girl freezer death" conspirancy?

Also Pizzgate

Why do you think the experiments failed?  I am not seeing the conspirancy here?

I've been into conspiracy theories since I was a kid. I was studying the JFK assassination back in middle school!

Yellowdog, in regards to Pizzagate, I don't necessarily believe that pizza parlors in D.C. are being used as child trafficking centers, but I do think that there are global pedophile rings that cater to the most powerful and wealthy people in the world. Look into the Dutroux affair in Belgium, the Franklin scandal, and the madness coming out in the UK.

What is the teenage girl freezer death conspiracy? I think I know what you're referring to, but I didn't know there were any conspiracy theories regarding it.
(01-10-2018, 03:27 PM)yellowdog Wrote: Have you heard about the " Teenage girl freezer death" conspirancy?

Also Pizzgate

Why do you think the experiments failed?  I am not seeing the conspirancy here?

I've seen the freezer death mentioned elsewhere, but not had time to read up on it. Is there a link somewhere?

The conspiracy with cold fusion is the official line is it doesn't work, but some people really believe it does and that oil companies made threats / bought the patents to stop it becoming available. It has spawned a large movement of amateur or self-taught scientists working in their basements to try and create cold fusion and prove there was a cover-up.

I still don't believe cold fusion works... but there are whole forums about this stuff. It's hard to read because of the physics, but these guys are serious!

Ok, so let' jump to some other topics...
  • Did NASA really go to the Moon?
  • Was Yuri Gagarin really the first man in space (or just the first to make it back alive)?
  • JFK - what do you make of it Invisiblejungle?