Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seroquel vs Alprazolam for sleep
(05-15-2017, 08:27 AM)andybones Wrote: 200mg each night for me. Works wonderful. I usually cut it in half to 100mg and take the other if I wake up in middle of the night.
My Dr. did at one point have me on Xanax during the day and Seroquel at bedtime.
Unfortunately I'd have an easier time getting buprenorphine than benzos, Sighh
But not wanting to derail the topic.

What class of medication is Seroquel? I am a horrible insomniac and I have not heard of this?

(04-05-2017, 09:39 PM)mr nobody Wrote: Many will prescribe seroquel or tri-cyclic antidepressants for sleep.  For some this practice works and others suffer side-effects. I think this is out of fear of benzos that is common these days.

For myself and others with sleep/anxiety issues the z-drugs (or ambien) work for a while then become less effective or you get the "zombie effect". Have found relief with longer acting benzos (ativan-valium etc). Xanax will work but has a shorter half-life.

I would also think that Librium would work for this as well but have no personal experience.
I recall Librium being used by my mom some 40+ years ago, is it still around? I have not seen it anywhere and I haven't heard of anyone having it prescribed
Being kind to others costs nothing and enriches your life, 
never forget how you felt when someone was once cruel to you,
we all have felt unloved at one time or another we should never want another to feel that way. Smile
A quick g00gle will show you Seroquel...

And Yep, Librium is still used in Alcohol withdrawal - amongst others applications...it is just another benzo, yes an older one though...

Rolleyes
Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path...
And leave a trail... of Love, Laughter and Understanding.
I've had Lirbrium a number of times and it's just never done anything for me in the slightest
(07-23-2017, 11:04 AM)Sunglassesron Wrote: I've had Lirbrium a number of times and it's just never done anything for me in the slightest

I had librium one time many years ago and although its a very mild benzo I would absolutely get some if I could find it.
I've seen doctors prescribe 6.25mg of seroquel for patients that are delirious to calm them down. In my exp it kinda works but chopping a tiny pill into quarters it ridiculous. I've seen melatonin used for sleep and it seems to work. Hopefully a sensible gp can prescribe this as an alt to alpraz. But I'm not to sure of the long term effects of melatonin
Seroquel will absolutely knock out. It's instantaneous. True: I have fallen asleep with a glass of Snapple in my hand but if I wake up - I end up pouring the snapple all over me and the bed. What kills me is that I had slept for HOURs perfectly holding that glass upright. Weird.
Ughh I had a terrible reaction to serequel.

apparently in uk prisons it is the only anti psych that can get sold.

I HATE the stuff
It seems like Ambien or some other bzo would work better. Alps probably help you get to sleep, but are short acting. Maybe a longer acting one like clons would work for you.
(08-29-2017, 01:48 PM)yellowdog Wrote: Ughh  I had  a terrible reaction to serequel.

apparently in uk prisons it is the only anti psych that can get sold.

I HATE the stuff

I had a friend that had a very bad reaction to serequel, whilst others its fine for. Certainly, will knock you out for 6. I can wake up still slurred and need about 4 coffees to beat it.

Not that I have had the privilege of being in prison as a life learning experience.
I find serequel sends me to sleep like a baby. Has helped my insomnia which is an added bonus.
I was prescribed that awhile back and at first it worked fine its one of those meds you can't fight you have to go right to bed on its hard to focus on anything else. Eventually the next day I was getting side effects like feeling like I wasn't really there, spaced out, in a dream like state. It started to freak me out so I had to quit taking it. Dr's love giving out that stuff since its not a benzo and not all that highly addictive I don't think.