Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Google will print every question on meds u ask
Amen !!!
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence - Desiderata
Dang, this entire thread was eye opening. I always teased my mom about putting a sticky note over her camera on her laptop because I said "who would want to watch you type away on your laptop." Now I've gone so far as to change IP addresses on our internet and such and keep devices static to avoid having anyone be able to "jump" on to our wireless. Not very knowledgeable about this stuff so I wonder if I even did any good?
when u set up a computer, google or someone sneaks in a permission question to record u at will and to record ur pic at will.

don't fall for it. have not seen how to disallow smart phones from watching me, as its new, so, i use cardboard i tape to cover my face. because idiots will put my pic and my identity up all over the place.

i think a dynamic IP is better. we have threads on this. but u r off to a good start.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

Thanks Charon.  I think I set it up correctly in that I completely changed the address to my device so that even if someone knows the model number and such, they won't even be able to see the log in screen as I have changed it.  And then each device has an assigned IP so that only that MAC address will be able to use the assigned IP.  But I am definitely going to do more research as today's world is scary with big brother always watching and I may not be as secure as I think I am.   Angry
New reports allege that the vacuum cleaner, rumba? will not only vacuum but takes down details of ur home. relates same to someone whom pays for that info.

smart TVs can watch a person. I remember litigation from like fourteen yrs ago, where disposable gillette razors for women were caught having a micro cam on the razor itself. so they could see how purchasers used their product. that was an unbelievable invasion of privacy. and these are just the companies that to date have been caught. Selling another's info is big money for some.

and i do listen to investigation ID network whilst i do the forum. If the police want info on u, they will put a listening device on ur cousins car and follow him. they are able to listen to a suspects home and phone, with a warrent i imagine.yet i never heard those law shows state the police returned to the home to set up a listening device. so, they must be using capacity found within your home already.

Fitbit watches are selling all people's data now. GPS lets people be found wherever they are.

but, privacy is dead.
Angel  It is Well with My Soul  Angel

(09-12-2016, 05:23 PM)Charon Wrote: This just happened today.  A new member posted a question in Who's Got It?  He/she mentioned a particular medicine.  The next poster informed him/her that if one searches google, right now, with the exact med she/he was seeking, that his/her post showed up as first hit on google.  At our forum.  Aye Carumba.

See, google search engine is not our friend since we went public a couple months ago.

This is why I beg you all to get in your fifty posts in ON TOPic areas and PM me or another member.

PLEASE LEARN FROM THIS. WHATEVER YOU POST, IT WILL MAKE GOOGLE. AND, ON AND ON AND ON.

TALK THRU PM'S AND EMAILS FOR THE SAFETY OF MEMBERS, FORUM, VENDORS.

L E HAS QUITE ENUFF INFO NOW FROM STUPID ASS FORUMS LIKE DBG AND TTM.

LET US GIVE THEM NOTHING WE DON'T WANT THE ENTIRE WORLD TO SEE.

Your PMs and emails are never available to google.  Nor to us.  This is why we have private areas for those over fifty posts.  To avoid google searches.  Unknown "guests."  

Whatever you post on the internet, it will be there later.

We have quite a few new people of late.  Keep your identity safe and only post what you are comfortable with others reading  on google.

(And, that is why the senior and pioneer members talk in cryptic fashions to newbies.  Or use PM and email.  Be safe, guys.)
Thanks for the reminder. I too forget how invasive Google and facebook has gotten. It reminds me of Look, Time and magazines like that. Prior to digital and these publishers sold their subscriber list and next you know you got the "original spam or junk mail". I try to really watch who has access to my emails. You have to these days for safety..The age and knowledge of your average user is so much greater then it was. We have to look for virus and malware. Since we all talk to and  gather as a group I feel safer sharing my experiences and looking to others and ask their opinions

Thanks Eddie
(09-13-2016, 11:18 AM)barq- Wrote: There is a partial technical solution. Does this forum have a robots.txt file? For anyone who doesn't know what robots.txt means, I would say "google it", but that seems a bit inappropriate Wink - though to be fair, Google have some quite detailed and informative info about it.

hxxps://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6062608?hl=en  - replace hxxps with https at the start.

Basically, a robots.txt file communicates with a search engine when it crawls a website. You can in essence say "please don't index this website". Not all search engines will play nicely, but the big G does obey your request. Not sure it will scrub what is already out there, but might more stop more stuff leaking. You still have to assume anything posted in the open is entirely public.

Guys, why out of 11 pages is nobody talking about the actual solution to this problem, which was pointed out by barq- clear back on page 2.  This is super easy to fix and a site like this should absolutely have a robots.txt file to prevent search engines from crawling it.  Who is in charge of the site?  Who manages DNS and wherever it is hosted?  This is very easy, if you'd like my help constructing the robots.txt file or getting it in place PM me.
Thanks, good to know.
I will be more discreet
I always figured that with google but wasn’t sure. Thanks for confirm and everyone needs to think b4 posting
Would definitely be a good idea to have a robots.txt file here if there is not already one.
Thanks for the heads up!