IOPList.Org
Coronavirus - any plans for protection? - Printable Version

+- IOPList.Org (https://www.ioplist.org)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Coronavirus - any plans for protection? (/showthread.php?tid=5619)

Pages: 1 2

Coronavirus - any plans for protection? - barq2 - 03-01-2020

Sorry this is a kinda heavy topic for The Lounge, but not sure where else it would go... Anyway, just wondering if anyone here is preparing for the possibility of that coronavirus spreading a lot more?

I don't want to panic, but nor do I want to be complacent. Hand hygiene seems the thing individuals can do the most about. I don't have a respirator, and even if I did I can't wear a mask 24/7. So I gave some thought to what I could meaningfully do, and that came back to hands. 

All the little bottles of hand gel are running out in shops, so I went to a chemical supply company and bought a lot of alcohol gel. The amount is really excessive, but the company supplies labs and stuff so they weren't just going to sell me 16oz of the stuff so I ended up with a couple of gallons! Anyway, I've been refilling existing bottles and topping up for friends, family, and neighbours.

In terms of food, well I've already got a lot of tinned and dried food so I'm not worried about that. However I noticed a local supermarket was incredibly busy today, which is unusual for a Sunday. I think we are on the verge of panic buying.

I have elderly parents so I'm buying a lot of things to try and protect them... masks, gloves, thermometer, cough syrup, ibuprofen. But there is only so much you can do. For example, my father is one of those people who doesn't wash his hands, which I've always found disgusting (much as I love him!). Trying to explain to him that simply washing his hands properly might be the difference between catching this virus or not just seems to go over his head.

Anyone else prepping or changing their plans? Or do you think it'll basically just be a nasty cough and people are getting too hysterical?

RE: Coronavirus - any plans for protection? - IceWizard - 03-01-2020

It is much better to do everything possible to protect you and yours ...

If it doesn't keep getting worse and worse, at least you were ready...

What you need to know about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Ice

RE: Coronavirus - any plans for protection? - Lechter - 03-01-2020

If an outbreak of the Coronavirus occurs in your area:

-know that masks only serve to limit the spread of infection from those carrying the virus.  They do nothing for prevention

-keep your hands sanitized

-avoid touching your face

-avoid crowds

-stop flying

-don’t take public transport

-drive instead with the windows closed and the ventilation on re-cycle

-don’t, whatever you do, book your dream cruise

-and above all, stay out of jail.

RE: Coronavirus - any plans for protection? - Charon - 03-07-2020

Four states are in state of emergency. NY included. Gov cuomo said anyone sixty or older, WITH AN UNDERLYING HEALTH CONDITION, should stay home.

I still wonder if those episodes of people licking food in the store and reshelving it was part of this. We had a bad group of people whom would go into NYC restaurants and spray bacterias on lettuce and salad bars. No one died. They were caught. Yrs. ago. seven to ten yrs ago at least.

I believe they were a cult trying to bring on the alleged rapture.

everyone be extra cautious.

RE: Coronavirus - any plans for protection? - happyvibe - 03-08-2020

As a resident in one of the states very affected right now my anxiety is at an all time high. I take mass transit to work everyday. Like others have said wash hands with soap and water vigorously, don’t touch your face, avoid places with large crowds, no more handshakes, use a napkin when touching anything like elevator buttons, door handles etc. try and keep yourself as physically and mentally healthy as possible. I know personally the last part is trying on those of us to struggle to get through a “normal” day with no anxiety.

Stay safe friends

RE: Coronavirus - any plans for protection? - Orange rabbit - 03-09-2020

I too am a resident of one of the highly affected states. I agree with happyvibe on their suggestions but I would like to add. I had to take public transportation this past Saturday. I took my Clorox wipes with me kept one in my hand. E erything I touched I used the wipe first and if I could have the wipe touch first I would. But what shocked me was when I went to wipe the seat, the arms of the seat and the top of the seat in front of me, the wipe was black from dirt. So much for the transite system where I live double cleaning everything. I had to wipe everything twice.

Also I have a friend who is a flight attendant and she told me that now is a good time to fly. Reason the planes are the cleanest they ever have been because almost all passengers are wiping down their seat areas. She also said the domestic flights she has been on are half filled. However what to be worried about is someone that has a cold that you may end up sitting next to. And if you can change your seat do it.

So everyone has to do what they are comfortable with, it I wanted to share my experience thus far. I will be flying soon and I will update all as to what I experience.

OR

RE: Coronavirus - any plans for protection? - barq2 - 03-14-2020

I'm in the UK where there are lots of cases. The government seems to be taking a curiously laid back approach to the virus: it is no longer tracing cases and hasn't cancelled anything. All it has done is stay home if you are ill (duh!) and elderly people shouldn't go on cruises.

In reality many companies, event organisers, sports organisations, etc have taken it upon themselves to cancel events or arrange working from home. There is a lot of pressure on the UK government to explain why it is following a different strategy to just about every country in the world. They say they want people to acquire herd immunity i.e. for the majority of the population to get the virus, just not all at once to avoid swamping the health services. The trouble is that being a new virus we don't know what level of herd immunity is needed to halt an outbreak, how long immunity lasts, how quickly the virus might mutate into a different form to which we are not immune. There's also the small problem that if you intentionally allow 60-80% of the population to catch the virus then you will get a lot of deaths. A lot of people are very unhappy with this approach and it is possible the government will be forced to change tactics.

My elderly parents have isolated themselves from the outside world. As the scientist in my family, I arranged a large delivery of alcohol hand gel, and ordinary medicines, a thermometer and a blood-oxygen meter. The latter is something you might want to look into if you are in a vulnerable group or just worried. It clips on the end of a finger and gives you a reading for pulse (BPM) and blood-oxygen as a percentage so very easy to read. Mine was £18 ($22USD) from Amazon although I'm sure the prices will start increasing.

There is a lot of panic buying. I wouldn't normally describe myself as a prepper, but maybe I am... I'd already stocked up on tins and dried foods because I thought Brexit could disrupt food supplies and the subsequent panic buying would strip the shelves bare. With this virus, supermarkets themselves seem to have taken on responsibility for getting extra supplies and limiting purchases e.g. you can only buy two bottles of hand gel. Of course it doesn't stop you from going back and buying a couple more an hour later, but it does stop people buying all the stock and then putting it on ebay at 10x the price. It is odd what people buy in a panic... the thing that's been running out is toilet tissue/rolls.

It seemed obvious hand gel would run short in the shops so I went to a chemical/lab supplies company who sold 5 litre tubs of the stuff. I've been refilling my small portable bottles - and I have enough to offer to friends, family and neighbours.

On the whole I'd say people in the UK are organising themselves. Some ignore it completely, but most people have stocked up on something or made some plans for what happens if it gets really bad. As I see it the first function of government is to protect its citizens and on that the UK government is failing badly. When this is over I fear a lot of people will blame the deaths of loved ones on the government.

Not sure why Trump is still allowing flights from the UK but banning the EU. We don't have as many cases as Italy or France, but it'll reach 1000 today. However, if you have community transmission of the virus already then locking down the borders won't do much. However I understand the instinct to pull up the drawbridge but I suspect it will only delay things by a few days.

Lastly, I wish the media would publish the numbers who have recovered rather than just the infected and dead. This is quite scary enough anyway, so where there is good news let's hear it!

RE: Coronavirus - any plans for protection? - Charon - 03-14-2020

I am forty minutes away from epicenter of virus in my area. in NY> the suburbs.

i watch it carefully as my family, my sis and niece, were running a new business in said area. But it is westchester. Everyone hears that.

We cannot stock up. Shelves were empty. Still are. National guard is here enforcing rules.

We have a drive up testing center that opened today and upped our cases.

I hope to God i get my social security check. Elsewise one cannot buy anything.

Rat bastards ran to the store to raise prices. and then wiped the shelves clean of hand sanitizer, Toilet accessories, food, water.

And we stocked up, well i did for me sister and i for Y2K. my late, great ex threw it away. Wish i had it now.

We are not getting accurate ratings on the people affected. One man whom is positive is allowing all sorts of tests to be done on him to see if an antidote or explanation is present.

The subway. Churches. There is a question as to whether the virus stays in one's body. Medical professionals say it does. It lives inside a dead body. So, i am guessing if this gets going, autopsies will be postponed. Many a professional was exposed or is positive.

If an elder falls in the home now, it is often indicative of coronavirus. One may feel fine. But have the disease. We just found out about this lady whom was put in Bethel Woods nursing home where she allegedly contracted the illness. News reports said when a GI illness went around a few months back, that nursing home let all the elderly get the illness.

They are not sure how to treat it. It affects those of my age whom have ever had lung issues. Respiratory problems. Underlying illness. They need to go on a breathing device STAT.

But one cannot prepare now, as, even those still with money in this state, do not have supplies to buy. And we have had a housing crisis. It costs 800$ to rent a couch in anothers place. Or, many many people crowd into a small apt, and let an outsider with the rent have the bedroom. This was going on in the epicenter area.

Being quarantined for two weeks is useless. Contagious for 36 to 48 days at least.

A friend of my family got off the train. His daughter went to pick him up. He just dropped dead and he had no symptoms that anyone knew of.

I rarely go out now, and this is not a good time to do so. Near people. People with compromised immune systems and my age are to stay home. And we are allowed to be tested if we drive to the epicenter and have approval from a doctor that we are sick. I bet i would be if houseshare drove me down there.

Our fear is that the national guard will be knocking on doors to make sure people are in compliance with rules now.

But, preparation ability has been taken from us. No food in stores if they are open. National Guard delivered food for children in said area.

We are not getting full news as Pres does not want to set off panic.

For many, panic is all around. And then one seems an arse wipe from a basketball team, now under quarantine, quickly touched all the microphones and cell phones he could as it was funny to him.

I am sorry but if this keeps going like this, with people breaking isolation to attend a party and school dance for their daughter, whom will be prosecuted, and knowing this virus lives inside a dead body, it could get to where people have to toss bodies in mass graves. No one will want to do autopsies.

Ireland and the UK are so far at very low numbers. And yes cruise ships are infamous for spreading illness. Legionnaires Disease was in their air and water systems. I would never have taken a cruise even if i still had money.

I wonder if this is in any way related to the horses padukkahs whom were seen licking icecream in stores. and leaving it there.

A group about ten yrs ago would go into restaurants and spray disease on the salad. They were hoping, i think, to bring on Mass Chaos. People recovered in that situation.

We are not learning of recoveries yet. At least firemen can finally wear hazmat protection to enter a coronavirus house on lockdown when a fire breaks out. Our poor police officers cannot wear protection. It could frighten the masses.

I was gonna do a rental with another woman in an area that just tested positive for the virus.

So now if one does a rental share, u both gotta be tested for the virus.

Preliminary research suggests a medicine for arthritis has some effect on the illness. Other than that, I have read personal stories of those in epicenter. It seems to have destroyed one lung of her son. And damage to her daughter. Hippa? laws or some law does not allow us to have more info as it violates their privacy.

If anyone recovered in my area yet, they are not saying anything. Not once it is full blown. Esp if its possible the virus remains in one's body.

My niece sent me a link to buy food and supplies online. From far away and they leave it at ur door and run. So i really hope social security is not suspended. This was once a very wealthy community. The vast majority of us do not have money now to stock up. Housing prices are insane and people advertised ten beds on floor and one bathroom.

In the epicenter area. So, mass groups in housing and the way people deliberately licked store products, are possible ways this spread.

God be with everyone.

RE: Coronavirus - any plans for protection? - Charon - 03-14-2020

hxxps://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/high-risk/high-risk-complications.html

all info known to date about this virus.

and of course: hxxps://www.cdc.gov/

RE: Coronavirus - any plans for protection? - folken - 03-15-2020

Lots of great info in this thread.

What is disturbing is the references to people purposely spreading the infection- selling products at inflated prices < price gouging >
selling know defective test kits etc etc 

Somehow the best and the worst comes out during times of stress and panic.

We have always been the best at charity, fighting for the underdog,- the unfortunate. Let's keep it that way.....

Stay safe my friends.........if you have a chance to help...........don't hesitate.

Be kind- be compassionate- to others but especially yourself.

Folken