IOPList.Org
Whos ready for burning man? - Printable Version

+- IOPList.Org (https://www.ioplist.org)
+-- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Whos ready for burning man? (/showthread.php?tid=4684)

Pages: 1 2

Whos ready for burning man? - Scoobie - 07-25-2018

So, whos going? Went last year and it was amazing. Its less than a month away and so much prepping still to do. Got to decorate and light up my bike too. The robot theme is awesome but struggling on bike decorating ideas is anyone has suggestions.

Scoobie

RE: Whos ready for burning man? - I-carus8045 - 07-29-2018

Some days I wish I was born in america. There is just so much happening that I would love to experience!

not to mention how close the US is to all sorts of other destinations I want to see! Canada, South america....so many paranormal tourism hotspots! for example the interconnecting laylines in Oregon!

Australia has its charms but!!..the hippy bush rave culture is alive and doofing!

My yearly tradition is called strawberry Fields. 3-4 days of nonstop psytrance surrounded by thousands of partiers with scarce porta toilets!!. Its a real hoot Big Grin

RE: Whos ready for burning man? - Linville - 07-29-2018

wow you went Scoobie?

I have seen pictures of it.
Some wild shite.

RE: Whos ready for burning man? - Scoobie - 07-30-2018

Strawberry Fields looks like a fun time. Love that psytrance but I need breaks from it every now and then, gotta mix it up a bit.

Yeah Burning Man is amazing. I would suggest everyone try it, young or old ,there are all sorts of people and personalities. What you read or see in videos hardly does it justice. Its my favorite time of year!

RE: Whos ready for burning man? - Mr. HIND - 07-31-2018

Geeze I feel old looking at this thread! I like many types of music but I grew up with mostly METAL. Was fun going to concerts back in OLD days :-) Got to see Iron Maiden, Dio, Motley Crew, Megadeth, Slayer, RUSH. Think that's about it. Oh did I mention Slayer? hehe. Also liked new wave, punk and gangsta rap, both East n West Coast. There's some good modern music but boy things have changed. I miss the instruments the most. Guitar, Drums, Keyboards, Brass-- seems like a lot of those instruments aren't used today by most bands. Could be wrong though.

RE: Whos ready for burning man? - Scoobie - 07-31-2018

If you like brass and want to give some electronic music a try, look up Goldfish. So so good. They play live mini sax among other things when they preform.

RE: Whos ready for burning man? - G.Elias - 07-31-2018

Is that the one where some guy ran into the huge fire? Booze,drugs and fires dont mix well . How much do they charge to go to this ?

RE: Whos ready for burning man? - Scoobie - 08-01-2018

(07-31-2018, 04:45 PM)G.Elias Wrote: Is that the one where some guy ran into the huge fire? Booze,drugs and fires dont mix well . How much do they charge to go to this ?

Yeah, that guy was mentally ill committing suicide infront of so many people. Luckily I didnt know till the next day but i know people who saw it and are still struggling with it. From my experience, people get way more messed up at music festivals. At burning man drug use is done out of sight. Yes, lots of drinking but no assholes and very few bro types around. Super pleasant people and harsh conditions make for a experience you wont forget. I think a ticket runs just under $400 plus a parking/camping pass for $80. Well worth it for what you get imo.

RE: Whos ready for burning man? - G.Elias - 08-03-2018

Excuse me ignorance but what is a 'Bro type' ? I used to do the free festival circuit in the 80s this side of the pond before the government decided we were public enemy number 1 and outlawed it all usually with extreme brutality.

There was quite a few types like the guy at burning man, we were a lot younger and had no experience of dealing with folk with mental health problems, thankfully don't believe anyone ran into a fire like him, i saw plenty running around usually naked shouting crazy stuff, sometimes threatening behaviour that had no place at a festival, it got far worse over the years though, violence became commonplace sadly, kinda glad i got away from a lot of that scene, christ, the UK was a damn grim, dark place back in the 80s - early 90s.

Saw a lot of crazy stuff, drug induced and some of the more sickening violent stuff due to alcohol.The worse violence was usually by the police, go on youtube and search beanfield or operation solstice, not a pleasant experience at times back then.

Was great for a while but got too big for the law to handle so had to be verbotten.

RE: Whos ready for burning man? - Scoobie - 08-03-2018

There are many forms of bros. Not all are bad. Typically, you will find a group of guys, all peacocks, usually aggressive, wearing tank tops or no shirt drinking heavy, yelling nonsense, giving high five about drinking, working out just the arms. Can be frat boys but not always. Its hard to explain since everyone has their own opinion about how to define it. Sorry if i offended anyone, like I said not all bros are bad. This below is how wikipedia defines it but I don't fully agree with it.

Bro (subculture)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bros may wear sweatpants in public, but only if they are all doing it

Bro is a male youth subculture of "conventional guys' guys" who spend time partying in ways similar to each other. Although the popular image of bro lifestyle is associated with sports apparel and fraternities, it lacks a consistent definition. Most aspects vary regionally such as in California where it overlaps with surf culture.[1] Oxford Dictionaries have noted that bros frequently self-identify with neologisms containing the word "bro" as a prefix or suffix. In a New York Magazine article in September 2013, Ann Friedman wrote: "Bro once meant something specific: a self-absorbed young white guy in board shorts with a taste for cheap beer. But it’s become a shorthand for the sort of privileged ignorance that thrives in groups dominated by wealthy, white, straight men."[2]

Man that scene in the 80's 90's sounds intense. The scene I'm used to is much more chill and friendly. What kind of music were they playing back then?