IOPList.Org
Anxiety-related muscle twitches. Does anyone get them? - Printable Version

+- IOPList.Org (http://ioplist.org)
+-- Forum: Medical Discussion (http://ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Anxiety Depression & Stress (http://ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Anxiety-related muscle twitches. Does anyone get them? (/showthread.php?tid=4020)

Pages: 1 2 3

Anxiety-related muscle twitches. Does anyone get them? - Rafterman - 12-05-2017

Hey all,
I am not taking about cramps, but instead those little high-speed twitches that one may sometime get on their eyelid when stressed. Does anyone here get them
anywhere else? My wife suffers from these on her quads and upper arms, and she is about to jump off the roof because they can sometimes indicate serious disease. Technically known as "fasciculation's", some people get them from working out too hard, stress, or tapering off any psychoactive med. Some other's experience them when on an ATD. None of those apply to my wife right now. I have suffered from them for quite a while now, but I do have motor-neuron disease and that is what is freaking her out. She is afraid that she might have it, too. I told her to stop worrying. Those group of diseases are classified as "extremely rare", affecting 1 person in every 50,000. I got mine through excessive exposure to environmental toxin's. She has never been exposed to anything like that. With her, it is probably a case of benign fasciculation  syndrome...which is a well recognized phenomenon affecting those in the medical field. She has tried increasing and decreasing her magnesium, calcium, potassium and b-12 intake. Nothing slows them down. In any event, stopping them is secondary. Her primary worry is with regard to what made them start in the first place.
SO, I promised her that I would post on here to see if anyone is suffering from them, and any further details that that person would care to share. Thanks for reading.  Peace.  RM

RE: Anxiety-related muscle twitches. Does anyone get them? - slipmat - 12-05-2017

Hey Rafterman, hope you are holding up well.
Anxiety related twitches hit me hard if I am in a social situation, by bloody lip tremble is a dead give away. The benzo can help in that department ( When will they develop a benzo type drug without the complications!!!.....It is well overdue. (We put a man on the moon for god sake - depending on your view of proper-gander.)
As for psychoactive med tapering problems, this is the first I have heard of this, I am lowing my Seroquel at the moment, will have to keep an eye out for any problems. I get more heads-up information here than I do from my Psychiatrist.

All the best
Slipmat  

RE: Anxiety-related muscle twitches. Does anyone get them? - Rafterman - 12-06-2017

(12-05-2017, 02:10 PM)Rafterman Wrote: Hey all,
I am not taking about cramps, but instead those little high-speed twitches that one may sometime get on their eyelid when stressed. Does anyone here get them
anywhere else? My wife suffers from these on her quads and upper arms, and she is about to jump off the roof because they can sometimes indicate serious disease. Technically known as "fasciculation's", some people get them from working out too hard, stress, or tapering off any psychoactive med. Some other's experience them when on an ATD. None of those apply to my wife right now. I have suffered from them for quite a while now, but I do have motor-neuron disease and that is what is freaking her out. She is afraid that she might have it, too. I told her to stop worrying. Those group of diseases are classified as "extremely rare", affecting 1 person in every 50,000. I got mine through excessive exposure to environmental toxin's. She has never been exposed to anything like that. With her, it is probably a case of benign fasciculation  syndrome...which is a well recognized phenomenon affecting those in the medical field. She has tried increasing and decreasing her magnesium, calcium, potassium and b-12 intake. Nothing slows them down. In any event, stopping them is secondary. Her primary worry is with regard to what made them start in the first place.
SO, I promised her that I would post on here to see if anyone is suffering from them, and any further details that that person would care to share. Thanks for reading.  Peace.  RM
I should also mention that she been for testing to rule out any serious diseases that her twitching might be a part of. She has had nerve conduction testing, EEG, EMG, and MRI...all normal. Her neurologist told her that he thinks that it is stress. He said that sometimes the body reacts that way after years of unrelenting stress. It is just odd that she would get non-stop twitching body-wide, while never ever having had a single twitch in her life. 

(12-05-2017, 08:04 PM)slipmat Wrote: Hey Rafterman, hope you are holding up well.
Anxiety related twitches hit me hard if I am in a social situation, by bloody lip tremble is a dead give away. The benzo can help in that department ( When will they develop a benzo type drug without the complications!!!.....It is well overdue. (We put a man on the moon for god sake - depending on your view of proper-gander.)
As for psychoactive med tapering problems, this is the first I have heard of this, I am lowing my Seroquel at the moment, will have to keep an eye out for any problems. I get more heads-up information here than I do from my Psychiatrist.

All the best
Slipmat  
Thanks Slipmat. I am sorry that you are suffering from the twitches due to anxiety, but it is comforting to hear that it does not mean that you have any underlying disease. I have had many client's over the years with the facial twitches...eyelid most common, then lip, cheeks, neck, and forehead. As you say, some responded well to a benzo, but the problem was the unwanted somnolence that it brought. I so much agree, when are they going to develop a benzo that doesn't cause people to walk into the walls? I still believe that benzo's, particularly ALP, are the greatest medicinal development in our lifetime...but without the excess somnolence, they could have been perfect. Interestingly, ALP really helps attenuate my tremors. I have seen studies that say that it works magic with tremor and is marginally effective for the twitches when they are on the body. I dealt with the fasiculation's since a year before I was diagnosed with MND. You don't even notice the twitches after a while, but your mind goes crazy thinking that they may indicate a horrible disease.  That, in turn, adds more stress...which really sends the twitches into high gear. I think that once my wife accepts that she probably doesn't have a muscle disease, the adrenaline will stop pumping and she will return to normal. It may take some time, though. Regards, RM

RE: Anxiety-related muscle twitches. Does anyone get them? - blandy - 12-06-2017

YES i get this especially after i have forgotten to take my SSNRI or have not had D!@Z£P@m for a good few days its usually as i go to sleep and accompanied by a brain zaps its mainly my right bicep causing my arm to bend really fast and shocking me awake. I'm convinced that its just the meds  it will happen say a few times and then i'll realise that i've missed one or two of my meds out take it and it calms down. It is mainly my SSNRI abstinence that does it.
This has only started happeninig since a few months after changing from an SSRI to a SSNRI and sometimes just happens without having missed anything out of my daily meds.
Hope this helps in someway possible even if its just knowing someone else has relatively similar eperiences.

RE: Anxiety-related muscle twitches. Does anyone get them? - Rafterman - 12-07-2017

(12-06-2017, 04:40 PM)blandy Wrote:

YES i get this especially after i have forgotten to take my SSNRI or have not had D!@Z£P@m for a good few days its usually as i go to sleep and accompanied by a brain zaps its mainly my right bicep causing my arm to bend really fast and shocking me awake. I'm convinced that its just the meds  it will happen say a few times and then i'll realise that i've missed one or two of my meds out take it and it calms down. It is mainly my SSNRI abstinence that does it.
This has only started happeninig since a few months after changing from an SSRI to a SSNRI and sometimes just happens without having missed anything out of my daily meds.
Hope this helps in someway possible even if its just knowing someone else has relatively similar eperiences.

Thanks Blandy,
It really helps and I appreciate you letting me know about it. The more real life examples that I can tell my wife about, the better. The odd thing is that she never had them when on her SSRI's and SSNRI's, but has them now, when she isn't on anything. They say that 99% of the time that do occur, they occur in healthy people. She is just on edge because when I got them it turned out that the were a symptom of a disease. I think that as time goes by and she realizes that she is still okay, her nerves will settle. Thanks a lot for contributing your story!  RM

RE: Anxiety-related muscle twitches. Does anyone get them? - fishfarmer - 12-11-2017

I never brought it up as it only happened several times but I also had the eyelid twitching! Had the owner of last FF who was just short of being a Doc look at me but they stopped. It was very strange, but it was when I started tapering and bet that had something to do with it? Best To You All-FF

RE: Anxiety-related muscle twitches. Does anyone get them? - Rafterman - 12-11-2017

(12-11-2017, 02:22 AM)fishfarmer Wrote: I never brought it up as it only happened several times but I also had the eyelid twitching! Had the owner of last FF who was just short of being a Doc look at me but they stopped. It was very strange, but it was when I started tapering and bet that had something to do with it? Best To You All-FF

Are you completely free of them now, Fish? Did it ever go beyond your eyelid's? They say that the eyelid's are the most common place to get them. She had those for years before they starting going body-wide.

RE: Anxiety-related muscle twitches. Does anyone get them? - sdfalcons - 01-10-2018

I have got this before with my pinkie sometimes. I am not sure if it is just from anxiety or something else, but it defintely is something that happens to me on occasion from anxiety.

RE: Anxiety-related muscle twitches. Does anyone get them? - Rafterman - 01-11-2018

(01-10-2018, 05:45 PM)Naomi Wrote: I always get eyelid twitching and it's so annoying because I know it'll be a decent amount of time before it goes away. I looked it up years ago because I was like "what is going on?!". I've since told many people about it when they are wondering about their eyelid twitching, I let them know it's probably stress related. For me it usually lasts for hours and is so distracting - it's all I can focus on.

Thanks for posting, Naomi. It calms my wife a bit when she hears a real life story about someone who suffers from them. Hers also started in her eyelids I believe, then just spread. And any use of her muscles makes them get even more intense. I hope that yours will never get like this. I believe that the number one place that they are seen are in the eyelids and they usually don't advance from there. Have a great day.  RM

(01-10-2018, 07:06 PM)sdfalcons Wrote: I have got this before with my pinkie sometimes. I am not sure if it is just from anxiety or something else, but it defintely is something that happens to me on occasion from anxiety.

Thanks for posting, SD.,
I have that pinkie thing myself. Its like it gets a mind of its own. Its probably of no consequence. I know that some people who have essential tremor begin with those pinky movements. Even some with Parkinson's begin that way. Michael J Fox says that he was working on a movie in 1991 when he started having movement in one of his pinky fingers. Good thing that his case is probably the exception and not the rule. I think that finger tremors are probably a benign thing in the vast majority of people who have them. I only say this because I have observed countless people who have them and nothing has even come of it. In any event, have a nice day.   RM

RE: Anxiety-related muscle twitches. Does anyone get them? - Rafterman - 01-12-2018

(01-12-2018, 12:07 AM)maldita Wrote:

I am so sorry to hear about her problem. I get twitching on my thighs/knees/legs. I call them spasms. It's weird to see it move. My old GP saw one video I took and that's when I got prescribed valium or clonazepam to help relax. I go through periods of this. I quit caffeine because the doctor told me to but it did not really help. I just think it is myoclonus. It doesn't hurt but it is annoying. However, I did have a colleague who suffered from Earl Grey tea intoxication. I think his twitches were worse than mine.

I do hope she gets some tests done to do a differential diagnosis and find out what is wrong. Hugs to both of you.

Right back at you, Maldita! You are very nice. I told the wife what you said. She deals with myoclonus in her job. She has a family history of that, but not of the fasciculation's....which usually present as quick, fine, partial spasms.. looking like shimmering snakes under the skin. Really unmistakable. Would you say that yours are like that, when you have them? She was okay with the myoclonus, but the fascic's are really scaring her. She is being worked up by two different sets of doctors. There can also be a possible psychological aspect to it, too. Like a conversion disorder. This may stem from the fact that she sees what I am going through and her mind can't deal with it. Anyway, thank you again!