IOPList.Org
A brief introduction - Printable Version

+- IOPList.Org (https://www.ioplist.org)
+-- Forum: Welcome Centre (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Welcome (https://www.ioplist.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: A brief introduction (/showthread.php?tid=3320)

Pages: 1 2 3

A brief introduction - CoiledSpring - 05-11-2017

Hi all -

I lurked for only a couple of hours before realising this was the place to be.

I look forward to chewing the fat with you all.

My beef?

Panic attacks, anxiety and a Dr who thinks that meditation is the sole answer....

RE: A brief introduction - Furyan66 - 05-11-2017

Welcome CoiledSpring.... You got a great board here with the best people. Best advice is to read, read and read someone and you will find what you need.

Peace and Welcome

RE: A brief introduction - Moscatodiva - 05-11-2017

Hi CoiledSpring, You've found the right place my friend. This is a very friendly forum. They treat you like family here. Just make sure that you read the rules and everything should be all good my friend. Welcome to the best forum ever!

RE: A brief introduction - Noonehere - 05-11-2017

Welcome! Hope you find what you are looking for.

RE: A brief introduction - luckydate - 05-11-2017

Welcome CoiledSpring Smile

RE: A brief introduction - IceWizard - 05-11-2017

CoiledSpring ... Welcome to our wee family indeed....

We are a friendly bunch and you'll find some of the best minds on this old net...

Be sure to look around, there is something for everybody, especially compassion Smile

Looking forward to your posts friend

Ice

RE: A brief introduction - CoiledSpring - 05-11-2017

Thanks folks

I just wondered do you guys have similar experiences to me re NHS GPs?

I know the sort of stuff we talk about needs handled with extreme care, however, I also know how my body and mind works.

To go to a dr in genuine need of help, which help exists, and get frowned upon is the worst kind of medical support for such conditions.

I had my first panic attacks when I was late teens. By 22 I would have paid tens of thousands of pounds to get rid of these damn things.

GPs have never offered me anything so for 20 years I have used alcohol to defeat the anxiety. Thing is of course I know is counter productive however when you have nothing else, what can you do?

Without the alcohol I might be dead by now - now with the alcohol it feels as if its killing me.

So here I am, looking for help with medicine I should have been given 20 years ago.

RE: A brief introduction - luckydate - 05-11-2017

Of course everyone is different but it's become nearly impossible for doctors to really help. I know for me what works with the severe anxiety is exercise but actually getting myself outside where I live means dealing with people and a LOT of people most of the time which only escalates my anxiety. Once I get through it I'm always better.

For me it's been a work in progress for at least 15 years now and just looking out for myself. I'm sure the alcohol has a very similar effect on your fight or flight response as some of the medications (that I'm not sure I can mention here) would. Unfortunately alcohol brings it's own set of issues as do meds. Once we get that tolerance, for some of us it's a vicious cycle.

I have found some things that work (one of which is actually called "the work") in addition to the exercise and just KNOWING I have a medical way out of a severe anxiety attack in my back pocket can be a huge relief, even if I don't use it. Sometimes those responses manifest very physical symptoms - you're not alone looking for help that you need that's for sure.

RE: A brief introduction - CoiledSpring - 05-11-2017

(05-11-2017, 09:58 AM)luckydate Wrote: Of course everyone is different but it's become nearly impossible for doctors to really help.  I know for me what works with the severe anxiety is exercise but actually getting myself outside where I live means dealing with people and a LOT of people most of the time which only escalates my anxiety.  Once I get through it I'm always better.

For me it's been a work in progress for at least 15 years now and just looking out for myself.  I'm sure the alcohol has a very similar effect on your fight or flight response as some of the medications (that I'm not sure I can mention here) would.  Unfortunately alcohol brings it's own set of issues as do meds.  Once we get that tolerance, for some of us it's a vicious cycle.  

I have found some things that work (one of which is actually called "the work") in addition to the exercise and just KNOWING I have a medical way out of a severe anxiety attack in my back pocket can be a huge relief, even if I don't use it.  Sometimes those responses manifest very physical symptoms - you're not alone looking for help that you need that's for sure.

Thanks for this

I got rid of panic attacks for a spell when I was 21.

I stayed off alcohol and exercised a lot for 3 months.  But I lived like a hermit that summer also (which I could because I was a student) whilst the attacks wound down.

So I know I can break the cycle.

However I have a job and two kids now - pressure at home and work but I love both sides of it but I can't do the 3 month hermit thing.

Maybe I am naive but I am certain - knowing my body - that a 3 month course of meds will sort this out. Or as you say the knowledge that you have something that will help.

I panic more when I am travelling - it's the sense that you feel so far away from medical help.

RE: A brief introduction - jasper - 05-11-2017

Welcome, hopefully you can find some answers.